Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which brands from Mariott are ultra luxury?

Which brands from Mariott are ultra luxury?

Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:20 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rny321
Unlike objective criteria, like upgrades and food and beverage credits, which are quantifiable; it is far more difficult to convey the merits of the soft product. Those of you who appreciate the latter and are able to provide the reader with an accurate impression of their experience are rarer than those who focus on the former. Although I am more likely to be sitting in the stands during an ACC or NCAA basketball tournament than enjoying a meal at the King Cole Bar, even if one is able to root against Duke, your review makes a compelling case for an anniversary dinner there.
ROFLMAO. You must know that the exact same night of our King Cole Table 55 extravaganza also was the most unexpected ACC semifinal between UNC and Dook. I did consider trying to move our Table 55 to another night (even with Eleven Madison Park the very next night) so I could go to the game...but my husband put the brakes on that idea. So I am a huge fan of any ACC or NCAA basketball (or football) game as much as a top food/dining experience. In fact, I went to the UNC-Cal football game in Berkeley in Sept...and Im already booked with 2 tickets for the UNC-Dook game in March in Chapel Hill. Care to join me?

Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:24 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
What is it that the butler service provides for you at St Regis that you find you can't get at PH, RC, or Four Seasons?

Thanks,
--woodstock
Unpacking service on arrival and packing service before departure—all complimentary. That’s an integral part of StR butler service that I absolutely love. And you can’t get that at any of the other hotels. I just had a lovely stay at the RC SF...but boy did I miss the unpacking and packing. I’m really that lazy.

Morning coffee/tea service—all complimentary. Wake up, call for coffee or cappuccino or espresso or tea, and 10 min or so later, there it is for you in your room. That’s another intergeal part of StR butler service that I love. You can get that as part of RC Club service, but you have to schedule it the night before. (They did it for me this morning without schedule, fortunately.) You also pay a hefty up charge for RC Club level access, and I don’t like the rest of Club offerings. You don’t get that with FS, PH, MO.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 16, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by bhrubin

ROFLMAO. You must know that the exact same night of our King Cole Table 55 extravaganza also was the most unexpected ACC semifinal between UNC and Dook. I did consider trying to move our Table 55 to another night (even with Eleven Madison Park the very next night) so I could go to the game...but my husband put the brakes on that idea. So I am a huge fan of any ACC or NCAA basketball (or football) game as much as a top food/dining experience. In fact, I went to the UNC-Cal football game in Berkeley in Sept...and I’m already booked with 2 tickets for the UNC-Dook game in March in Chapel Hill. Care to join me?

As sacrifices for our friends and family go, foregoing a chance to eat stadium food in order to share a meal at Table 55 with people you care about isn't so bad.

Although it is a family tradition to root against Dook in any venue, and what better one than a UNC home game, I will be in Park City/Deer Valley with family that week. Next year?
wrp96 and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by rny321; Nov 16, 2018 at 5:10 pm
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
What is it that the butler service provides for you at St Regis that you find you can't get at PH, RC, or Four Seasons?

Thanks,
--woodstock
I was told during my stay at StR DC that the Buttler service is only for suite room only.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lingua101
I was told during my stay at StR DC that the Buttler service is only for suite room only.
That can be true. Some StR properties offer butler service to every room (NYC, Bora Bora, Mexico City, Bahia Beach, Punta Mita), some offer it for upgraded rooms and suites (Houston), and some only offer it for suites (Washington, San Francisco, Bal Harbour).

Fortunately, as an Ambassador guest, I’ve most often been upgraded to a junior suite or higher at most StR, and the few where I didn’t get upgraded still offered me butler service as a warm gesture.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 16, 2018 at 11:26 pm
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
?!

Certainly I can't be the only one here seeing the demographic disconnect between "people who pay $400/night for a hotel room" and "people who expect a free breakfast", right?
you are probably right. Those that can afford $400/night, probably does not need free breakfast.

thats why I have concluded StR brand is probably not suite me.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

That can be true. Some StR properties offer butler service to every room (NYC, Bora Bora, Mexico City, Bahia Beach, Punta Mita), some offer it for upgraded rooms and suites (Houston), and some only offer it for suites (Washington, San Francisco, Bal Harbour).

Fortunately, as an Ambassador guest, Ive most often been upgraded to a junior suite or higher at most StR, and the few where I didnt get upgraded still offered me butler service as a warm gesture.
that is why I said in my previous post, why people will pay $400 for non suite room in StR DC. You dont get Buttler service which they told me StR signature (and no club etc).

I think they same amount of money can get a suite room in Westin .

well again probably personal preference
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
General rule is unless youre a family of 3 or need a room to work in, a lower class room in a better Hirson is always better than a higher class room in a worse hotel.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

people obsess over free breakfast and $100 credit on super expensive stays.
i refuse to give agents commissions on such bookings as i find it to be a joke.
discouraging spend is odd, including limiting highest one-category upgrades

it is incorrect to suggest that no element of service can be quantified.
but ultra luxury is indeed not about profit, many do not make a profit

bhrubin is a 'starwood' regular, not a four seasons regular.
four seasons doesnt need program to treat regulars similarly

interesting, so butler service is NOT for all st regis rooms

some here spend a lot more per night on a lot less travel.
a few of us care about property (like ultra luxury) not room.
ultra luxury can be about scale rather than hard product.
big gaps - ultra luxury, luxury, upscale, average, budget.
and yet rates do not match, big chains can be overpriced

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 17, 2018 at 11:55 am
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Marriott PP Elite
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the Como Group here.

15 or 20 hotels worldwide, and those I've stayed in in London and Thailand are truly outstanding. The Group is owned by a Singaporean billionairesse apparently, so she's under zero pressure to sell up to a huge Group like Hilton or Marriott.

St Regis and RC sadly, still, for me, have the feel of the "chain" product that they are. Though I'm sure there are outliers in both cases where they manage to retain the bespoke boutique style of service on offer in places like the Connaught in London or the Royal Mansour in Marrakesh to give but two privately owned examples I've stayed at recently.

But I have high hope for Al Maha, which I'm staying at this coming winter, and is part of Starriott.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:43 am

Some posters have questioned the desire for suite upgrades and other amenities that come with higher status levels. Unless one cares about upgrades to high value rooms and suites and has a reasonable expectation of receiving them or needs the more personalized service that may come with status, it might not make much sense to aggressively seek status. The lower value benefits, like single category upgrades, breakfast, food and beverage credits and welcome gifts are available through programs like Amex's FHR, Visa Infinite, Virtuoso and Hyatt Prive' are at least comparable to what one would receive as a top tier elite in some programs.

When I used FHR for a Peninsula stay, I received an nice upgrade, free breakfast, a $100 F&B credit and a decent welcome gift for a price that wasn't much more than the lowest available rate. Although others have been treated far better, on a recent St. Regis stay I received a minimal upgrade, breakfast, a mini bar credit and a note which acknowledged my status unaccompanied by a welcome gift. If I didn't care about suite upgrades or I thought that my St. Regis experience was typical, I would use one the the above travel agents to book hotels and forget about earning status.

Although there have been some service failures, I am generally happy with the quality of the upgrades that I have received from both the MR and SPG side and I believe the effort I expended towards annual and lifetime status has been worth it. Since I am not blindly loyal to any program, how I am treated going forward will determine my future lodging preferences.

Last edited by rny321; Nov 18, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good points re earned status (and limiting options)

may be ideal to at least briefly consider multiple options

'ultra luxury' may be similar price as a 'luxury' chain

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 18, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

it is incorrect to suggest that no element of service can be quantified.

If you were referring to my comment below, I m curious how you would place a numerical value on various aspects of soft products. Unlike a $100 food and beverage credit which might be worth roughly the same amount to anyone who planned to use it, I would expect the monetary value each of us would place on butler service or employees remembering your name and personal drink preferences would vary greatly.

"Unlike objective criteria, like upgrades and food and beverage credits, which are quantifiable; it is far more difficult to convey the merits of the soft product."
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Atlanticist
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the Como Group here.

15 or 20 hotels worldwide, and those I've stayed in in London and Thailand are truly outstanding. The Group is owned by a Singaporean billionairesse apparently, so she's under zero pressure to sell up to a huge Group like Hilton or Marriott.
We’ve had many stays at the Halkin by COMO in London. We love the hotel, as long as we stayed in non entry level rooms. The top floor COMO Suites and even the Belgravia Suites are among our favorites in London, and we particularly love the quiet street location so close to the action and Tube access.
St Regis and RC sadly, still, for me, have the feel of the "chain" product that they are. Though I'm sure there are outliers in both cases where they manage to retain the bespoke boutique style of service on offer in places like the Connaught in London or the Royal Mansour in Marrakesh to give but two privately owned examples I've stayed at recently.
I understand. In Marrakech, we also plan to stay at Royal Mansour; even the Amanjena isn’t as unique and special like RM. In India, we stayed in Oberoi and Taj properties that were far more unique than the larger ITC Luxury Collection properties available in the legacy SPG portfolio. But in Mumbai, I’ll certainly consider the StR because I’m such a fan of the StR brand standard butler service.

Wherever there is a StR or top Luxury Collection hotel option (and now perhaps a Ritz Carlton, too), I’ll always measure the cost/benefit of my Ambassador status and elite perks there against the true luxury level and distinction of any other unique or standout luxury property, whether it’s from another luxury chain or independent. In Sydney, we stayed ar the Park Hyatt because it’s undeniaby the best hotel in town AND offered an amazing cost/benefit. In New Delhi, we stayed at the Lodhi because it was more modern and Aman-ish and worth the premium for us (and the ITC was too large for our tastes). In most locations, there are no Royal Mansour-like options...at least not to my mind. In Tokyo, I was very glad to enjoy the amazing cost/benefit and tremendous service of the Prince Gallery over the outrageous cost and subpar service record of the Aman Tokyo. In Kyoto, I was most happy at the Suiran Luxury Collection property on the outskirts of Arashiyama, even though we had an incredible cost/benefit stay at the RC Kyoto across town, too.
But I have high hope for Al Maha, which I'm staying at this coming winter, and is part of Starriott.
No doubt, unique properties like Al Maha, Suiran Kyoto, Imperial Vienna, etc offer wonderful chances for amazing luxury stays in unique environments. That’s one of the best things about Marriott’s Luxury Collection. There’s nothing else quite like it.
damon88, rny321 and kaizen7 like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 18, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Agree 100%. I don't consider the Ritz brand as luxury other than a handful of their properties in Asia.

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
In general, luxury is not in mega-chain Marriott's dna. But there are some real gems to be found. Ritz-Carlton seems to strive for more staid traditional luxury while St. Regis can at times be a little more contemporary in the way they provide luxury. I would hardy ever consider JW a luxury brand, just a glorified Marriott. Some of the former SPG Luxury Collections are indeed luxury, but I'd say they are also often historical properties which can lead to challenges in terms of renovated accommodations, but overall I really like most of the Luxury Collection properties that I've stayed. I do think Edition is striving for a modern luxury as are some W resorts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.