Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Room available only on non-Marriott website

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S

Does someone have experience with room availability problem, where Marriott hotel is only bookable on non-Marriott website?
Basically a room is available everywhere, except on Marriott website.
Is SPG planning something new or do I miss something here?

Case of Four Points Hakodate:

Room available everywhere ....

... except on it's own website
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:13 pm

The property has allocated a certain amount of rooms to third-party distribution such as Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia etc...
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
In the old days, you'd be able to BRG that and guarantee 25% off the price!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by margarita girl
In the old days, you'd be able to BRG that and guarantee 25% off the price!
Right. But it is not SPG anymore. There is no dedicated PLT line and no customer service.
Last night Courtyard Kauai went sold out through the end of this year . Is that the best protection against best rate guarantee?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Did you go all the way through the booking process to see if a room was really available? Typically, I find when a room is not available on Marriott/SPG's website, when I go through the entire booking on a different website I also find there are no rooms available even though the initial screen showed availability.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by controller1
Did you go all the way through the booking process to see if a room was really available? Typically, I find when a room is not available on Marriott/SPG's website, when I go through the entire booking on a different website I also find there are no rooms available even though the initial screen showed availability.
Yeah so now I ended up with confirmed room - From Booking.com
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imverge
The property has allocated a certain amount of rooms to third-party distribution such as Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia etc...
All other hotels are also like that. It's understandable that they're allocating to Booking / Expedia etc. but what's new is they don't allocate it to SPG/Marriott.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
sch7468: I have looked and 4P Hakodate is only available at Marriott.com for 3 days during entire Dec!
I don't this this hotel is sold out - it simply not selling rooms through Marriott.
I am also happened to be Platinum Premier Elite and according to the merged program rules:
"We’ll always have a room available to you — guaranteed — when you book by 3 p.m., 48 hours prior to arrival."
However, 4P Hakodate does not show such an availability on line either.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Alex_I
"We’ll always have a room available to you — guaranteed — when you book by 3 p.m., 48 hours prior to arrival."
However, 4P Hakodate does not show such an availability on line either.
To use the guarantee, you must call and pay full rack rate.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:07 pm

Also a good strategy not to have to pay any Marriott points or benefits. However still makes no sense, Marriott reservation channel should still be much cheaper than 3rd parties for the hotel.

Could you call in for the rack rate guarantee booking and then BRG that?
barracuda93 and sch7458 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:29 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It could just be a system error. I’ve seen a couple of occasions when rooms weren’t available on Marriott channels but were available on Virtuoso. This means these aren’t rooms which were block-bought but simply hadn’t beeen loaded into the Marriott system.

Sadly, I don’t know how you could possibly check this for a non-Luxury hotel - maybe via AMEX Travel or Concur?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thesmiler
Also a good strategy not to have to pay any Marriott points or benefits. However still makes no sense, Marriott reservation channel should still be much cheaper than 3rd parties for the hotel.

Could you call in for the rack rate guarantee booking and then BRG that?
Well, you mean calling the hotel? I tried to do that and the reception said the availability is there.
But the problem is: It took about 5 minutes for him to understand what I am saying. FYI: The Japanese are not known for being fluent in any foreign language.

So I assume he will have difficulty spelling my name, understand my credit card number, or even my SPG number.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I have found Marriott.com to lie many times about "No rooms available". If you click on "Are your dates flexible?" it will pull up a calendar and prices on each day showing the total amount of a stay starting on any given date for the number of nights you selected in your search.

Just yesterday the hotel I wanted in Chicago kept showing "No rooms available". However, the calendar was completely full (meaning you could check in on any day you wanted to) and I could book a room. I have no idea why the search engine is returning that nothing is available if there are, indeed, rooms available. And the rate it showed me was in line with expectations, not the full rack rate.

PS - different hotel availability will also show up whether you are logged in or not. I find more hotels showing me prices if I'm logged in (Plat Premier) vs if I'm searching without being logged in.

-RM
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Just yesterday the hotel I wanted in Chicago kept showing "No rooms available". However, the calendar was completely full (meaning you could check in on any day you wanted to) and I could book a room. I have no idea why the search engine is returning that nothing is available if there are, indeed, rooms available. And the rate it showed me was in line with expectations, not the full rack rate.
Some Chi hotels have put in 2 night MLOS restrictions - were you searching for a single night?
RogerD408 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I have found Marriott.com to lie many times about "No rooms available". If you click on "Are your dates flexible?" it will pull up a calendar and prices on each day showing the total amount of a stay starting on any given date for the number of nights you selected in your search.

PS - different hotel availability will also show up whether you are logged in or not. I find more hotels showing me prices if I'm logged in (Plat Premier) vs if I'm searching without being logged in.

-RM
This is the availability for 4P Sheraton Hakodate:

Any thought?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.