Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100 nights, not reaching AMB spend

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Hipplewm

This is now and I probably have 20-25 night left for this year and maybe $3000 at most in spend - they will be 20ish Courtyard and 5-10 in Marriott or Westin
So figure EOY of 150 nights and $18,000 roughly
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You can join me and plenty of other 150 night, $12K-$18K spend PPEs who will get terrible service next year...welcome to the Club!
Must be a lot of us in this club.

Originally Posted by I 40
Where are you seeing spend? I saw it for a couple of days in August, but not since.
It has been displaying very intermittently on the apps (both), but I have had better luck lately with it showing up on website.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
I wouldn't worry about missing out, I have an amazing Ambassador but in the last 2 years the way the program has been devalued is huge and what was once a great benefit is now just a very average experience even if you have a great proactive ambassador, they just have less and less power and ability to do anything.
Thank you for the update. I have been debating whether to push for it or not. Some years with SPG I would make it some years I did not, overall I was not a fan of the ambassador,( I book via corporate agency with minimal notice) but thought their may be other benefits then the personnel service.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
So what I'm reading is stop at 75 Nights and go elsewhere and earn status
Probably but isn’t this how it’s always been at Marriott? At least now the next level is clearly defined.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Plus don't forget hotels in Asia and other markets (given Starwood's broader global reach) are often high quality but also quite cheap.
Spot on. I just crossed 100 nights at legacy SPG hotels in Malaysia for the year, and my total spend is just over USD 12,000. And I've stayed all my nights at full-service five-star brands as well, not Elements, Alofts and the like.

My status on the app has just been upgraded to Ambassador. Given the theories about your Ambassadors' clout being based on how much you spend, it will be interesting to see what mine can do for me over the next 16 months!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, United Premier Silver, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GoPhils

Probably but isn’t this how it’s always been at Marriott? At least now the next level is clearly defined.
At least in the past there used to be rollover nights.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21

It has been displaying very intermittently on the apps (both), but I have had better luck lately with it showing up on website.
Strange I don't see the spend on either, app or website.
At 125 nights with just MR ,as I have not combined my SPG acct yet.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was over $20,000 on August 1st, and my spend didn't ever show. Could it be the case that you're over $20,000? Has your spend ever shown since August 18th, assuming that you were over 50 nights by then?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Segments

In in all seriousness, did many SPG elites reach 100 nights without $20,000 spend? As most SPG properties are located in major metropolitan areas how is this possible?
By redeeming award nights. They add zero $ to your spend.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21

Yeah, the UA 1K that will never reach GS spend and the Marriott PP that will never reach ambassador spend club

I would imagine there are quite a few members
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by I 40
Strange I don't see the spend on either, app or website.
At 125 nights with just MR ,as I have not combined my SPG acct yet.
Just checked. Mine is showing up on website, under account overview, in the dial that shows nights this year.
Still not showing up on either app (Apple/Android).

Last time, the only place it showed up was the Android App.

Glitchy.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
So what I'm reading is stop at 75 Nights and go elsewhere and earn status
The number of "elsewheres" that have "meaningful" status that you can't "trivially" earn from a credit card (at least for those based in the USA) is quickly diminishing.

IHG doesn't give a free breakfast or (on paper) lounge status to anyone, no matter what their elite level. (It's up to the individual hotel to go above and beyond the stated program benefits. Some do, some don't.)

Hilton Honors, anyone in the USA can get HH Gold status wtth a $95 a year credit card (Amex HH Ascend), and top HH Diamond status with a $450 a year credit card (Amex HH Aspire) which every year gives a free nights cert plus up to $250 airline "incidentals" credit plus up to $250 resort credit a year, and so if you can use those certs/credits enough, it actually works out to "net negative" annual fee! So unless you're based outside the USA and can't get one of these credit cards, what's the point in chasing status at HH instead of just getting it instantly?

That leaves Hyatt ahd Radisson Rewards with their small footprints, Accor, etc. (Status at Choice, BW, and Wyndham is "meanngless" in Marriott/HH/Hyatt terms.)

Meanwhile, isn't the point of earning status to use it? (HH Diamond status gives you more consistent benefits across HH brands than MR PP or even Amb does across MR, though.)

Oh, and could your question be rephrase as: "Stop at LTP and then go elsewhere for life?"

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 3, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:05 am

I agree that you should get a 3rd choice benefit when you reach 100 nights 20k spent. Maybe 2 50k certs
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
With the introduction of minimum spending for amb, the incentive to go past 75 (if spending below 20k) is pretty much nothing

I'm guessing the term in T&C about Marriott reserve the right to invite members who didnt reach 100 nights and 20k spending to amb tier is for people who spends significantly more than 20k in 1 year.

I would just stay elsewehere for those above 75 nights if I'm certain I wont spend 20k (if you were after status on another chain)
Or just stay at Marwood and enjoy the benefit
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:40 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
The spending threshold for ambassadors can be adjusted in the years ahead depending on the numbers and resources. We have an example above a member from Malaysia that got Ambassador with $US 12000 spend. So it is totally possible to spend under $USD 20000 but enough nights to get an ambassador.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by HollyGlen
Spot on. I just crossed 100 nights at legacy SPG hotels in Malaysia for the year, and my total spend is just over USD 12,000. And I've stayed all my nights at full-service five-star brands as well, not Elements, Alofts and the like.
Exactly! I’m at 66 nights and $6000 spend. If it wasn’t for my 18 nights in HNL this year, it would be even lower. I only stay in full service properties. Under the old BRG program, it was possible to get exceptionally good rates at great Starwood properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.