Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100 nights, not reaching AMB spend

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
100 nights, not reaching AMB spend

Just wondering, is there any benefit from reaching 100 nights if you dont qualify for the Ambassador $20k spend? Do they give anything else?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:26 am

I would gladly trade my ambassador service — of which I heard nothing since reaching this status in early september and, in any case, doesn’t interest me much — for an extra free night cert.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Just wondering, is there any benefit from reaching 100 nights if you dont qualify for the Ambassador $20k spend? Do they give anything else?
You *do* qualify for an AMB now, for next year, if you have 100+ Starwood ONLY nights. Starting next year, the legacy SPG AMB requirement goes away and everyone will need the $20,000 spend for an Ambassador.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
No - nothing else. You keep adding to your lifetime total - if that matters to you.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
At 92 nights and $7592 so I probably will not qualify for any AMB.... I would be happy with a functioning web page and IT system in general.
kennycrudup and HollyGlen like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by X-ON
At 92 nights and $7592 so I probably will not qualify for any AMB.... I would be happy with a functioning web page and IT system in general.
Are your 92 nights Starwood legacy properties or Marriott legacy properties?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:58 am

They should give a choice every 25 nights instead of just 50 and 75
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

This is now and I probably have 20-25 night left for this year and maybe $3000 at most in spend - they will be 20ish Courtyard and 5-10 in Marriott or Westin
So figure EOY of 150 nights and $18,000 roughly
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hipplewm

This is now and I probably have 20-25 night left for this year and maybe $3000 at most in spend - they will be 20ish Courtyard and 5-10 in Marriott or Westin
So figure EOY of 150 nights and $18,000 roughly
You can join me and plenty of other 150 night, $12K-$18K spend PPEs who will get terrible service next year...welcome to the Club!
Hipplewm likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
So what I'm reading is stop at 75 Nights and go elsewhere and earn status
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You can join me and plenty of other 150 night, $12K-$18K spend PPEs who will get terrible service next year...welcome to the Club!

You as a 1K will understand this as well. I easily requal 1K, but will also never spend enough for GS, same exact boat
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:43 pm

What’s the point in an ambassador? I had one for over a year during the program’s soft launch with SPG and it was absolutely useless. I wouldn’t go out of my way to spend one extra night just to get it again.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Suspect this will primarily be a problem for legacy MR members rather than legacy SPG. After all we’ve been repeatedly told how valuable SPG members are due to their higher average night spend and greater percentage of higher end properties in the SPG portfolio.

In in all seriousness, did many SPG elites reach 100 nights without $20,000 spend? As most SPG properties are located in major metropolitan areas how is this possible?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:19 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
So what I'm reading is stop at 75 Nights and go elsewhere and earn status
If each night you pay is about $200/night, then you would hit Ambassador on your 100th night. My reading is if you're mostly staying in mid to high tier hotels, and you're North America based you'll get one of those Ambassadors.

In addition, Marriott can invite those worthy customers without the $US 20000 spend to get ambassadors. I believe if you live in developing nations ( or especially in a certain famous non-market economy), you'll gain ambassador status without the qualifying threshold since their mid to upper tier hotels cost less USD per night.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Segments
Suspect this will primarily be a problem for legacy MR members rather than legacy SPG. After all we’ve been repeatedly told how valuable SPG members are due to their higher average night spend and greater percentage of higher end properties in the SPG portfolio.

In in all seriousness, did many SPG elites reach 100 nights without $20,000 spend? As most SPG properties are located in major metropolitan areas how is this possible?
You're forgetting 5 (10 max) nights via the CC and of course some points/C&P rooms. I had about 20 of the latter each year. So you may be down to 70-75 paid nights...all of a sudden that is close to a $300 room rate, which is ~50% more than the average Starwood ADR.

I had an AMB every year but one post-2012 (so always 100 nights), but I only hit $20K one of those years I think. My lifetime ADR over 800 nights is $210 - and that is well above average (and I only travel to major metro areas).

Plus don't forget hotels in Asia and other markets (given Starwood's broader global reach) are often high quality but also quite cheap.
HollyGlen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.