Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lingfield Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Confirmed that property is now classified as a resort, even if the website doesn't say so.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Hilton Diamond

Lurker has confirmed Lingfield IS A RESORT PROPERTY and not a hotel.

I have just checked into The Marriott Lingfield ( have been here many times before) and have been advised since the merger they are now a Resort, I cannot find this information on Marriotts website,nor do they charge a resort fee. Does anybody know if this is the case?
Would have liked to have known in advance as I need a 4 pm checkout and they have said they cannot guarantee it!

Last edited by Sg59; Oct 29, 2018 at 11:11 am Reason: RESOLVED please see update
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:59 am

I don't have time to find the thread, but there is one recently that highlights the URL will indicate whether a hotel is a resort or a hotel.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgwgs-lingfield-park-marriott-hotel-and-country-club/

This URL indicates a hotel whereas a resort would have the word "resort" where "hotel" is. However, it is unclear that this is a definitive match with the master list of what is and isn't a resort. But at least a straw to grasp...
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Please escalate this, starting with the property's manager on duty. It might be as simple as a front desk employee just making something up or it could require a complaint to corporate.

BTW do they have any facilities that would support their claim to be a resort?

Also, some resorts don't impose resort fees, so that criterion doesn't really prove anything.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Sg59
I have just checked into The Marriott Lingfield ( have been here many times before) and have been advised since the merger they are now a Resort, I cannot find this information on Marriotts website,nor do they charge a resort fee. Does anybody know if this is the case?
Would have liked to have known in advance as I need a 4 pm checkout and they have said they cannot guarantee it!
This is a common event where the property or just the FDC doesn't want to pony up the benefits due. If we don't push back and escalate the issue then we have to put up with whatever they do. It's a tough call whether to escalate with local management to get the benefit granted (maybe as a "one-time exception") or take it to MR to open a case and have them do the research (but many CSRs also take the easy way out).
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Also, some resorts don't impose resort fees, so that criterion doesn't really prove anything.
Resort fees are illegal in the UK, at least to the extent that they are not included in the headline price shown on marriott.com.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, I have contacted Marriott to see what they have to say, I questioned the Receptionist when she declined the late checkout saying it was on availability, I said this is only the case if it is a resort and she said they were since the merger.
This hotel has a golf course, horse race track and spa, it sounds glamourous but is just ok, I have been here many times before and to be fair have never had a problem with late checkout and it was never classed as a resort.

I am ok if it has been changed, Marriott just need to be clear about it.

Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It's not a resort. It's a hotel. It's listed on the Marriott website as a hotel. Nowhere does it say resort. Heck, even the verbiage on the hotel's website says it's a hotel. Tell them you want the 4pm check-out or you will report them for being in violation of Marriott policy.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...-country-club/

Cheers.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If they want to use the 'resort and convention hotels' exclusion they should have a link in the T&Cs to a definitive list. I'll observe that SPG didn't, either.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I stayed there for one night on Saturday. Checked in at 11 and left before 10. I would have classed it as a golf resort, but a bad one.

Got the worst room in the house - 115, beside the golf club and you could hear lots of chairs moving etc.

The platinum breakfast for two was given to me as a gesture (I reminded him it was no gesture) and I was charged for a cappuccino at breakfast, which was a bit of a zoo.

zero desire to go back.

Last edited by jamesie_version1; Oct 22, 2018 at 12:17 pm
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE

Thanks SKIADOCK,

Have just spoken to the Duty Manager, despite the receptionist saying they changed to a Resort after the merger, the Duty Manager said they have always been a Resort and gave free breakfast to plats because they wantred to aswell as 4 oclock checkout. Now with the merger they have been instructed by Marriott that they have to stick to the rules regarding plat benefits for resorts. I showed her the app checkin which states my benefits are comp upgrade, late checkout and a welcome gift of 1000 points or $10 f&b, which are non resort benefits, she had no answer for that and asked if I could screenshot it and email to the manager. She did offer on this occasion a 4 pm checkout.
So there you have it, Lingfield is a RESORT, you can only get a late checkout if it is available and you will only get a choice of points or breakfast.
what a load of hassle!
If you are a plat you may think twice before booking this hotel if the guaranteed benefits are important to you.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
So there you have it, Lingfield is a RESORT, you can only get a late checkout if it is available and you will only get a choice of points or breakfast.
what a load of hassle!
If you are a plat you may think twice before booking this hotel if the guaranteed benefits are important to you.
If the property wants to be a resort (and if it actually has the characteristics that Marriott's standards for a resort call for), then the property needs to have its official Marriott.com webpage changed.

The top of the page, a web browser shows this:

Marriott.com / Marriott Hotels & Resorts / Lingfield / Hotel

A resort would show Resort, not Hotel, as the final item.

Customers need to be able to make informed decisions based on official web content. According to the current webpage, this is a hotel. A guest who is Platinum Elite (or higher) is entitled to a Welcome Gift (1000 points or USD$10 F&B credit) AND the Marriott Hotel lounge breakfast benefit for member + 1 (lounge access or breakfast in the restaurant if the lounge is closed or there is no lounge).

And the property is required to follow the late check-out rules for Elite guests.

It would be worth noting the property's deficiencies in an online review.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
UPDATE

Thanks SKIADOCK,

Have just spoken to the Duty Manager, despite the receptionist saying they changed to a Resort after the merger, the Duty Manager said they have always been a Resort and gave free breakfast to plats because they wantred to aswell as 4 oclock checkout. Now with the merger they have been instructed by Marriott that they have to stick to the rules regarding plat benefits for resorts. I showed her the app checkin which states my benefits are comp upgrade, late checkout and a welcome gift of 1000 points or $10 f&b, which are non resort benefits, she had no answer for that and asked if I could screenshot it and email to the manager. She did offer on this occasion a 4 pm checkout.
what a load of hassle!
The duty manager is wrong. It has never been a resort nor showed as a resort on Marriott's website - or on the hotel's own website for crikey's sake. Report this to Marriott as a property not following Marriott's policy.

Originally Posted by Horace
If the property wants to be a resort (and if it actually has the characteristics that Marriott's standards for a resort call for), then the property needs to have its official Marriott.com webpage changed.

The top of the page, a web browser shows this:

Marriott.com / Marriott Hotels & Resorts / Lingfield / Hotel

A resort would show Resort, not Hotel, as the final item.

Customers need to be able to make informed decisions based on official web content. According to the current webpage, this is a hotel. A guest who is Platinum Elite (or higher) is entitled to a Welcome Gift (1000 points or USD$10 F&B credit) AND the Marriott Hotel lounge breakfast benefit for member + 1 (lounge access or breakfast in the restaurant if the lounge is closed or there is no lounge).

And the property is required to follow the late check-out rules for Elite guests.

It would be worth noting the property's deficiencies in an online review.
Agree. This is not a resort based on both Marriott AND the hotel's own description. If it wants to be a resort, it needs to get the resort designation on both Marriott & its own website! Until it does (and it's not just some fancy by the GM) it needs to comply w/ Marriott policy as a hotel.

If you have not yet checked out, not only demand the 4pm checkout but make sure you get breakfast as well. If they don't comply, invoke the breakfast guarantee ($100US equivalent).

Cheers.
LapLap and controller1 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:54 am

I've just spoken to Marriott reservations about this as I have a few bookings with them for people over Christmas. They have confirmed that it is a hotel not a resort. The fact that it says Country Club Marriott have confirmed does not make it a resort. I think what we have here is a clear example of a hotel making the changes it wants to bring in and blaming the Marriott merger for their actions. An enterprising person could do well out of this if you are platinum elite and in the area: book a cheap room, get refused breakfast, pick up Ł100 for your trouble.

Just to add I've got a copy of my folio dated June this year and it clearly says on the footer:
Lingfield Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club registered in England 2571266.
LapLap likes this.

Last edited by Lizie; Oct 23, 2018 at 4:39 am
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:31 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Lingfield Park is a Resort, because it calls itself so, it has a spa, racecourse, golf course and a Marriott Hotel.

The Marriott Hotel is on the premises of Lingfield Park Resort, the hotel itself is not a Resort.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I thought breakfast is also guaranteed at resorts now anyway? Regarding 4 pm checkout and what the GM said, you should get William Sanders (Lurker) onto them to ensure they comply in the future for all members’ sake.
Lizie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.