Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Reached 25 Starwood Stays But Still Gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG-Marriott

First of all, new to this forum but long-time lurker. Thank you for creating a great community with tons of helpful information.

As I understand it, we are still able to qualify for Platinum based on 25 stays at legacy Starwood properties.

However, I crossed the 25 stay mark this month, and I am still Gold. When, if ever, does Marriott intend on upgrading members in my situation to Platinum status? In the previous system, which is what is supposed to be emulated for the remainder of the year, I would be Platinum for the rest of this calendar year too, not just from the new year. I am just slightly concerned because I have stays planned for the rest of the year, and I would be more than disappointed if I weren't able to be Platinum for those stays.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dubyawhy
First of all, new to this forum but long-time lurker. Thank you for creating a great community with tons of helpful information.

As I understand it, we are still able to qualify for Platinum based on 25 stays at legacy Starwood properties.

However, I crossed the 25 stay mark this month, and I am still Gold. When, if ever, does Marriott intend on upgrading members in my situation to Platinum status? In the previous system, which is what is supposed to be emulated for the remainder of the year, I would be Platinum for the rest of this calendar year too, not just from the new year. I am just slightly concerned because I have stays planned for the rest of the year, and I would be more than disappointed if I weren't able to be Platinum for those stays.
The new program does not recognize Plat status at 25 stays. Legacy rules are set to be acknowledged in a sweep in January (providing they figure out how to do it by then).
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:16 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
While Marriott has committed that 25 SPG stays this year will get you Platinum, it appears that they haven't actually bothered to build a system to check for this. From what others have reported on here, you'll have to piece together a spreadsheet or set of screenshots showing your 25 stays and send it into Marriott and ask them to increase your status.

It seems pretty hard to believe that anyone would run a loyalty programme like that in even the 1990s, but this is what it appears to be.
cln likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: FB Gold
Is merging your MR/SPG accounts supposed to impact qualifying for plat on stays?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by AF254
Is merging your MR/SPG accounts supposed to impact qualifying for plat on stays?
There have been rumours to this effect, but the lurkers have said it does not.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

There have been rumours to this effect, but the lurkers have said it does not.
Cheers. I was unable to find forum posts from a CS rep that suggests that qualifying for plat through stays at legacy SPG properties were possible and phone agents have suggested that merging your accounts would impact that.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m also finding that the 2 stay credits from the Starwood AMEX are not currently being counted. I have also earned 25 stay credits, but Marriott/SPG says I need 2 more because they don’t have any record of the AMEX credits. I’m trying to figure out if I should just pick up two additional stays before the end of the year, or assume they will get their act together.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sdm1130
I’m also finding that the 2 stay credits from the Starwood AMEX are not currently being counted. I have also earned 25 stay credits, but Marriott/SPG says I need 2 more because they don’t have any record of the AMEX credits. I’m trying to figure out if I should just pick up two additional stays before the end of the year, or assume they will get their act together.
Presuming your info is coming from a CSR since the web is not tracking stays anymore. Many of the CSRs have proven they do not know the rules as well as we'd like. If you are very sure of your numbers then waiting out the sweep in January is all that is needed. However, given the track record with MPG IT, if you can pick up two more stays for a cheap cost, it might be best to do so. I'm guessing there is going to be another round of confusion after the sweep with a lot of manual fixes needed.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Presuming your info is coming from a CSR since the web is not tracking stays anymore. Many of the CSRs have proven they do not know the rules as well as we'd like. If you are very sure of your numbers then waiting out the sweep in January is all that is needed. However, given the track record with MPG IT, if you can pick up two more stays for a cheap cost, it might be best to do so. I'm guessing there is going to be another round of confusion after the sweep with a lot of manual fixes needed.
Yeah, and I'm not so sure that confusion is going to be any less with 25 stays vs. 23 stays + 2 SPG AMEX stay credits. Fortunately, I have emails showing I was given the 2 stay credits in January and an email from AMEX announcing the August changes and specifically stating that the 2 stay credits would still count towards status earned in 2018.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdm1130
Yeah, and I'm not so sure that confusion is going to be any less with 25 stays vs. 23 stays + 2 SPG AMEX stay credits. Fortunately, I have emails showing I was given the 2 stay credits in January and an email from AMEX announcing the August changes and specifically stating that the 2 stay credits would still count towards status earned in 2018.
I'd really hope IT has a much better understanding of what will count and the CSR was just going by a quick eye-ball count of your account activity and not knowing to include the "bonus stays". So what's your pain threshold? If getting another two stays in before the end of the year is simple to do, I'd go for it. Otherwise, hope for the best and be prepared with all the documentation you can muster saying the AMEX stays are to be counted too. I suspect there will be so many "one-time exceptions" done after the sweep and they may exceed normal transactions in January!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.