Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Upgrades General Discussion Thread

Ritz Carlton Upgrades General Discussion Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Beano HK
Ive searched the forum for a while and am tying myself up in knots!!
Is the RC program still separate or now fully part of the merged program?
Is breakfast at an RC part of the PPE welcome amenity that seems to vary by brand? The hotel Ive booked on points have offered it to me anyway along with an UG to a better suite which is kind of them. (I reached out to them asking about transfers and didnt ask for anything.)
No, they are all part of the merged program now.
No, breakfast is not an amenity option at RCs.
respectfulhelper likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We booked a room for 2 nights at the Ritz Santiago last week on points and upgraded to club level with points. We got no upgrades beyond that. The hotel seemed quite empty. Husband is PPE.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
We booked a room for 2 nights at the Ritz Santiago last week on points and upgraded to club level with points. We got no upgrades beyond that. The hotel seemed quite empty. Husband is PPE.
You paid for the upgrade with points?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
You paid for the upgrade with points?
Yes. The room was 25K/night, club upgrade was 5K.

Awesome deal that I paid without a thought!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte

That is a steal! Great for you!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

I suppose, but I would have asked for a complimentary upgrade due to status. By rule, you're entitled to an upgrade on the club floor (without club access, though sometimes they give you access). If they said no, then I would have probably paid the 5,000 points as I probably could have gotten $50 a day in food and drinks out of the lounge, presuming the wine was decent and the food at night could compensate for a dinner.

I also would have pushed for a suite upgrade.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:14 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Can anyone confirm if certain Ritz properties are exempt from Suite Upgrades for PPE? I apologize if this has been discussed because I missed it. I thought all Ritz Properties were supposed to upgrade PPEs to a Suite if one is available. Or are they just explaining poorly and are able to deny within T&Cs because their suites are exempt from the Upgrade pool?

I am always a little suspicious when the story changes from let us check if we have a suite available and when told Ambassador confirmed there were many to we are an exempt property.

Not a big deal- but I would like to know if they are blowing smoke.

Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

say youre going to pay then say why not free
talk to manager on duty , could email higher

Elite Membership Benefits The Ritz-Carlton Rewards
PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE
Including Select Suites
At The Ritz-Carlton rooms with direct Club Level/Lounge access are excluded; suites are included for Platinum Premier Elite and Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador members only.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#elite
ii. Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members. Platinum Elite Members receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors. At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Platinum Premier Members and rooms with direct Club access are excluded. Enhanced Room Upgrades are subject to availability and are identified by each Participating Property. The Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members is available at all Participating Brands except at Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Aloft, Element and participating Vistana properties.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 17, 2018 at 7:54 pm
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by damon88
Can anyone confirm if certain Ritz properties are exempt from Suite Upgrades for PPE? I apologize if this has been discussed because I missed it. I thought all Ritz Properties were supposed to upgrade PPEs to a Suite if one is available. Or are they just explaining poorly and are able to deny within T&Cs because their suites are exempt from the Upgrade pool?

I am always a little suspicious when the story changes from “let us check if we have a suite available” and when told Ambassador confirmed there were many to “we are an exempt property.”

Not a big deal- but I would like to know if they are blowing smoke.

Is it a Ritz property that participates in Starriott? A few don't, and this might include properties with RC Reserve in their name as well as some of the exceptions such as Singapore IIRC.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 17, 2018 at 7:12 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no participation >

RC reserve
RC fractional residences (vail)
RC singapore got an exclusion, it is the largest RC with 608 rooms

do participate now >

RC waikiki recently started participating even though it is all residences, originally was excluded as residences

RC montreal also originally did not participate, began to a while ago
(RC montreal and RC chicago are [only RCs] not managed by RC)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 17, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:07 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is it a Ritz property that participates in Starriott? A few don't, and this might included properties with RC Reserve in their name as well as some of the exceptions such as Singapore IIRC.

Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels/california/laguna-niguel/rooms-suites#fndtn-CompareRoomTypes

suites
04 999 784ft2 garden exec
X 08 1299 784t2 club garden exec
02 2049 784t2 ocean exec (no club)
10 2899 1100t2 ocean (no club)
X 03 3599 1550t2 ritz (club)
02 ___ 700t2 ocean jr

rooms 400ft2
__ 459 limited
50 559 garden
49 649 coastline
15 719 fireside garden
62 749 ocean
X 12 779 club garden
X 11 879 club coastline
21 949 fireside ocean front 1299 club
X 09 979 club ocean

X "rooms with direct Club access are excluded"
club - 43 + __ club fireside ocean front

fireside ocean front may be best
or other view, vs garden exec suite

no great value one-category upgrades

btw recently learned that many luxury hotel direct (not 3rd party) web reservations continue selling rooms even a while after hotel is completely sold out. odd.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 17, 2018 at 8:19 pm
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:44 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I have 3 RC certs that came with the old Ritz visa that expire in a few months
Are they of any use in regular Marriots?
I have some stays at Meridiens and SPG properties but alas, no Ritz for me for work in next 6 months
I am in Paris and Monaco though, at some expensive places (forced to) using OPM for company events .
Old May 21, 2019, 2:58 am

Hi Titaniums, are the Ritz Carltons upgrading you to suites?

Pardon me if this is already being discussed elsewhere (couldnt search it), but a question for Titanium (and above) elites:Do Ritz Carltons actually proactively upgrade you to suites? Or do you guys fight for it? What are your batting rates so far? Do Ritz Carlton FDAs even know of Marriott rules to allow Titaniums to be upgraded to available suites?I ask because I have a decent shot at going for Titanium this year (Ive been plat for many) if I felt the value was really there. For me, aside from the extra points that Titaniums earn, the probability of being upgraded to suites at Ritz Carltons is probably the only real value I see (I do stay at Ritz Carltons occasionally) but I fear that the upgrades dont happen often enough (if at all), either through hotels bending the rules and/or the check-in agents not even knowing about program rules regarding Titanium benefits.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 21, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Not once in 6 Ritz stays this year. Mainly Europe.
jaejaez likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.