Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Upgrades General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...

I am a lifetime Platinum Premier Elite member with Marriott and have been getting such conflicting information as to upgrades to club level at RC properties. I was upgraded without question recently at a city hotel but today had a horrible experience with a resort hotel--I was first told that based upon availability I would receive a club and/or suite upgrade but then upon check in (I was previously going to use a confirmed club upgrade from my RC Visa) was told that since they are a resort property, they only offer a one category upgrade based upon availability at the time of check in. Needless to say, I was very disappointed in the lack of consistent information.

Is there a set standard of what upgrades we are and are not entitled to @ RC properties--if it is a resort, does that change the benefit(s)?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
Club level upgrades were always excluded, same goes for new program. In the old program suites were available for platinums, right now they're restricted only for plat premier.

So as far as the T&C are concerned you should be eligible for a suite but not for club access, rules are the same for resorts.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
FWIW, the same rule applies to upgrades at RCs booked through FHR. You can get an upgrade if available (actually I've been upgraded to junior suites which would be more than the one category entitlement according to published benefits of the program), but you will not get comped lounge access. Virtuoso, etc. should operate the same way. One must pay (a lot) to use RC club lounges.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Ritz-Carlton Club Level upgrade

It's sad to say this but I have never stayed at the RC... but since Starwood and Marriott have merged, I booked a stay at RC Osaka. I'm just hearing about this Club level stuff and it seems you have to pay for a room with access to get it. Okay. I'm down for that. The problem is I don't see this option at all for a rewards booking. Will they give me the option to upgrade to the Club Level for monies during check-in or am I SOL?

Not that I think it makes any difference, but I have Marriott PPE with Ambassador in the updated program.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by alphaod
It's sad to say this but I have never stayed at the RC... but since Starwood and Marriott have merged, I booked a stay at RC Osaka. I'm just hearing about this Club level stuff and it seems you have to pay for a room with access to get it. Okay. I'm down for that. The problem is I don't see this option at all for a rewards booking. Will they give me the option to upgrade to the Club Level for monies during check-in or am I SOL?

Not that I think it makes any difference, but I have Marriott PPE with Ambassador in the updated program.
You need to get in touch with hotel to open up availability, then you'll be able to change the room type. It's usually also possible to upgrade with cash on checkin. Expect to pay between 150-200$++ per night.
alphaod likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by porkie
You need to get in touch with hotel to open up availability, then you'll be able to change the room type. It's usually also possible to upgrade with cash on checkin. Expect to pay between 150-200$++ per night.
This.

The only hotel I've seen with a Club upgrade available at the time of booking is for RC Orlando.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sig05
This.

The only hotel I've seen with a Club upgrade available at the time of booking is for RC Orlando.
HUH? Most RCs sell rooms on the club lounge floor(s) or rooms with lounge access as a separate room category. Unless all rooms in these categories are sold out, you can always book a room that includes the lounge. What sort of "upgrade" at the time of booking do you want?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:08 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? Most RCs sell rooms on the club lounge floor(s) or rooms with lounge access as a separate room category. Unless all rooms in these categories are sold out, you can always book a room that includes the lounge. What sort of "upgrade" at the time of booking do you want?
I think one word was missing: "Award". As in seeing a club room available for an award reservation in the online tool.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I think one word was missing: "Award". As in seeing a club room available for an award reservation in the online tool.[/LEFT]
This would make sense. If the OP simply wants to pay more points for a club room, I would suggest calling Starriott as such award reservations always required talking to a phone agent in the SPG system.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I think one word was missing: "Award". As in seeing a club room available for an award reservation in the online tool.
Yes, I meant on an award. Thanks for the clarification help.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
FWIW, the same rule applies to upgrades at RCs booked through FHR. You can get an upgrade if available (actually I've been upgraded to junior suites which would be more than the one category entitlement according to published benefits of the program), but you will not get comped lounge access. Virtuoso, etc. should operate the same way. One must pay (a lot) to use RC club lounges.
Follow up questions.

If I book an RC via a third party (in this case, not FHR) can I use my upgrade certs to get a Club level upgrade?
Or without an upgrade as a (combined program) Platinum Elite, can I get lounge access?

The Ritz prepaid online rate is the same but the third party deal bundles in parking & resort fees worth $105/night (gulp!)
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Follow up questions.

If I book an RC via a third party (in this case, not FHR) can I use my upgrade certs to get a Club level upgrade?
Or without an upgrade as a (combined program) Platinum Elite, can I get lounge access?

The Ritz prepaid online rate is the same but the third party deal bundles in parking & resort fees worth $105/night (gulp!)
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by rj123456
Follow up questions.

no and no
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by rj123456
Follow up questions.

1, I would assume not, but I don't do third party bookings other than FHR etc.

2. Absolutely not. If you want RC lounge access, you must pay (a lot) for the privilege, typically a $100-200 additional (per person and per day) in the room rates, presumably plus tax in most jurisdictions. Think of it as something like a full board option, drinks included.
respectfulhelper likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:55 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Ive searched the forum for a while and am tying myself up in knots!!
Is the RC program still separate or now fully part of the merged program?
Is breakfast at an RC part of the PPE welcome amenity that seems to vary by brand? The hotel Ive booked on points have offered it to me anyway along with an UG to a better suite which is kind of them. (I reached out to them asking about transfers and didnt ask for anything.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.