Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A shocking Marriott IT fail

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by CPRich
Does it not occur to you that user error is even the slightest possibility?
Entirely possible. You also fail to address my point: that one shouldn't need to jump through endless hoops to confirm something that should ostensibly be seamless. And why give MR IT the benefit of the doubt at this point?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Because Marriott IT currently is a cluster & that's not news to anyone who's on FT, that would be one very strong reason why the OP should have quadruple checked everything rather than making a reservation (that he may or may not have actually made; we'll never know if it was user or IT error at this point) & heading off overseas w/o knowing if it was really a done deal rather than blithely assuming it was all ok.

Over the many years I've traveled I've assumed the reservations (whether any airline or any hotel, again not specific to MAR) were ok, but I always made sure I put (back then paper/now digital) back-up documentation where I could access it if there was/is a problem at check-in. The airline/hotel/car rental/train system should run smoothly when reservations are made, but just in case I take responsibility for my own reservations & have the back-up documentation I need.

Cheers.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I finally had it so I spoke with a senior exec the other day. This exec said he does not blame me for skipping Marriott for a few months while they sort IT things out.

Big problem he said is that to save money Marriott went with "archaic Marriott system" even though SPG system was "much better and more modern."
​​​​
The exec was possibly speaking out of school, or without full knowledge. It's way messier than this. Although when Marriott has acquired chains or added them (or SPG for that matter) by absorbing them and dumping them into the program as-is, you've seen no issues. But that was never going to happen here, which leaves us where we are.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
I always confirm by Fax and Telex with Marriott... they are not yet in the internet age.
remymartin likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Because Marriott IT currently is a cluster & that's not news to anyone who's on FT, that would be one very strong reason why the OP should have quadruple checked everything rather than making a reservation (that he may or may not have actually made; we'll never know if it was user or IT error at this point) & heading off overseas w/o knowing if it was really a done deal rather than blithely assuming it was all ok.

Over the many years I've traveled I've assumed the reservations (whether any airline or any hotel, again not specific to MAR) were ok, but I always made sure I put (back then paper/now digital) back-up documentation where I could access it if there was/is a problem at check-in. The airline/hotel/car rental/train system should run smoothly when reservations are made, but just in case I take responsibility for my own reservations & have the back-up documentation I need.

Cheers.
True. But customers are quick to blame the company because:

A) There are many who are experiencing their own unique set of I.T./account issues with Marriott. But more importantly
B) There is a gradual erosion of trust and confidence when these people feel there is just a deafening silence from the company's side. And the fact that we have to screen shot upon screen shot nowadays everything or write things down on a piece of paper speak volumes on our level of trust/confidence with the merge. And most importantly IMO,
C) Statements like "all together" now or "hang in There" or "99% complete" gives the perception that the company is oblivious and/or indifferent to the customer's concerns.

There is just no accountability and communication. Hence many can relate to the OP in their own little way and all together now blame Marriott. If people are not weary and frustrated, they would think this was just an oversight made by the OP. True Marriott does not owe us anything...Not our trust nor our confidence.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
True, but on my accounts (not merged yet) reservations tend to come and go; there's no consistency so one can't conclude anything when a reservation doesn't appear.

Agree. The problem is that if a reservation isn't showing neither you or Marriott can't cancel it. I've recently been charged for a night stay which I'd booked earlier on fully flex but because it wasn't showing it dropped off the radar (I make 4-5 bookings a week on avg). I've been refunded.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by rylan
I've had that same item in my reservation list on the website for a few weeks also. Nobody at Marriott can tell me why... that is if I can even get a response out of anybody.

Oh and at this point I don't think there is such as thing as a 'shocking Marriott IT fail'. They are so bad on the technology and customer service side now that I have zero expectations.
I’ve also had the same message for several weeks now (assumed it was universal, but maybe not). Additionally, each time I reload the reservations page I get a different, seemingly random, subset of my future reservations.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Newman
I have been a Marriott Rewards member for over 20 years. During that time, I have probably made thousands of reservations via the Marriott website.
Whenever I make a reservation, I do three things:
  • Write down the reservation # or print out the confirmation page
  • verify that the reservation shows up in my account
  • verify that I receive the confirmation e-mail (which is almost always instantaneous)
Seems like you failed to do any due diligence. Based on the facts, I'm guessing you did something wrong.
But as usual, people here like to play the victim card and blame Marriott for their failure to take even the most minimal actions to secure a reservation (if indeed you did make a reservation).

Marriott owes you NOTHING.

Newman
The absolute state of Marriott shills. This is beyond pathetic my god.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by frenchft
I always confirm by Fax and Telex with Marriott... they are not yet in the internet age.
I usually send a runner or carrier pigeon.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by Newman
I have been a Marriott Rewards member for over 20 years. During that time, I have probably made thousands of reservations via the Marriott website.
Whenever I make a reservation, I do three things:
  • verify that I receive the confirmation e-mail (which is almost always instantaneous)
Seems like you failed to do any due diligence. Based on the facts, I'm guessing you did something wrong.
But as usual, people here like to play the victim card and blame Marriott for their failure to take even the most minimal actions to secure a reservation (if indeed you did make a reservation).

Marriott owes you NOTHING.

Newman
Arne, is that you?
CCIE_Flyer and remymartin like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Do people really print every confirmation for hotels? Seems like a huge waste of time if you stay at hotels 50+ nights a year... I don't even know anyone who owns a printer.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
Do people really print every confirmation for hotels? Seems like a huge waste of time if you stay at hotels 50+ nights a year... I don't even know anyone who owns a printer.
I don't. I do save the confirmation email and create a calendar appointment for every reservation, and drop the email in to the appointment as an attachment. That way it is there on my phone if I need it.
DJ_Iceman and Newman like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I don't print the confirmations, but keep them in a file on my laptop so I can easily access them if needed. That's for all hotel, airline, car rental & train confirmations. FWIW - I do own a printer & most people I know own one, but I don't usually print out the confirmations (unless I'm not bringing my laptop w/ me on a trip, which is rare).

Cheers.
Newman likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:29 am

I do as I write notes on the back i.e. your lounge at the airport is, your seat number is, meet and greet inside airport booked etc etc. It's handy, plus, helps me keep on top of my spealling
Newman and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CLEguy

I think you misread who does what

And I’m referring to the apparent requirement that a checklist of tasks must be completed, else all blame falls on the customer. I don’t know what really happened here; I do know that the “it’s your fault” comment came out like clockwork, as it always does on FT.
Who said anything about a "requirement that a checklist of tasks must be completed" ? sounds like FAKE NEWS!!

Many of us take simple precautions so that what allegedly happened to the OP can be easily resolved at the front desk.
As I said, I take three steps upon making a new reservation:
The OP FAILED to take even one!

What was he possibly thinking of when he never received the almost instantaneous confirmation e-mail?
As long as he's on the Marriott website, allegedly making the reservation, how long does it take to navigate over to his account to check the reservation has been made and is accurate? 15 seconds?
How long does it take to write down a confirmation #? 5 seconds?

The OP allegedly makes a last minute reservation, using points, traveling from one foreign country to another and makes NO effort to verify the confirmation was actually made. Yet somehow this is Marriott's fault ?

People need to start taking responsibility for their failure to take reasonable actions.

Newman

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.