Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

how to use amex free night certificate?

Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire

Hi, I have received the annual free night certificate for up to 35,000 points (for those that do not know where it is, I log into my SPG account, click my name on the top right, choose overview, and there is a section called Reward Certificates). However, I have been trying to use the free night but have not found a way to apply it. I can't find anywhere that allows me to use the certificate when I book using either points or cash. Has anyone have any success on using it?

Thanks.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
As recently as last week, I booked a points stay and using the Amex free night award showed up as an option (in fact I didn’t even know that I had this free night award until I booked this). But looking at literally the same property today, I can book on points but not using the certificate. So I’m leaning towards an IT glitch of some kind at the moment.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, WN CP, AS MVP75
Had to call to get it applied

I had the same issue where I couldn't apply the certificate. (I had no problem with the other free certificate I got for my annual benefits choice). I ended up making the reservation I wanted at the hotel (making sure it was under the 35K points) and then calling customer service and asking them to attach my certificate and refund my points. Took about 5 minutes.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:06 am

Yours are still good....

In my case, the rep mistakenly deducted 50,000 pts instead of AMEX SPG certificate. Although I asked to use certificate, they insisted "The Marriott Certificate is not applicable to legacy spg hotels." --- Wrong! it is SPG Certificate and they steal 50,000 and now useless certificate remains, as they "Have a Technical Issue"..... Taking about 6 weeks and not resolved

Originally Posted by Nieskese
I had the same issue where I couldn't apply the certificate. (I had no problem with the other free certificate I got for my annual benefits choice). I ended up making the reservation I wanted at the hotel (making sure it was under the 35K points) and then calling customer service and asking them to attach my certificate and refund my points. Took about 5 minutes.
Be careful
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cozysuite
Yours are still good....

In my case, the rep mistakenly deducted 50,000 pts instead of AMEX SPG certificate. Although I asked to use certificate, they insisted "The Marriott Certificate is not applicable to legacy spg hotels." --- Wrong! it is SPG Certificate and they steal 50,000 and now useless certificate remains, as they "Have a Technical Issue"..... Taking about 6 weeks and not resolved
Was your reservation for a 35K or 50K pt hotel?

Also, I didn’t think those Amex certs had been around for 6 weeks. This is very confusing.

Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold
How long after your renewal until the certificate showed up? My upgraded Luxury card renewed, the points from the statement posted at least a week ago - but still no 50K certificate...

And still waiting to be upgraded to platinum based on YTD spend...

Not terribly thrilled with the timing lags on these new 'luxury' benefits.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:55 am

That was former CAT1-6 SPG cert from Amex. The hotel is now 50,000 pts (former CAT6) and they mistakenly deduct 50,000 pts instead of using the cert...

Originally Posted by margarita girl

Was your reservation for a 35K or 50K pt hotel?

Also, I didn’t think those Amex certs had been around for 6 weeks. This is very confusing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.