Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club lounge bill and gratuity

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
The waiter in the restaurant is getting paid $2.19 an hour to bring you your beverages and pick up some plates. The lounge attendant is making at least minimum wage ($7.25 an hour) but usually more, plus whatever tips they happen to get.

Anyone who says that US restaurants aren't cheaper must not eat in Europe very often.
People don't eat in European restaurants very often in general. That is, locals just don't eat out as much.

But are you comparing Paris to New York? Boonieville Germany versus Boonieville USA? Are we comparing GST to sales tax (or the lack thereof)? A general idea of how much something costs in Europe versus something in America?

I used to think eating in Europe is expensive, but you have to get over the lack of cheap fast food and find other ways of getting cheap food. Like you can get Asian buffets for 10-15, which is the same as in the US. You can often find prix fixe meals for 15-20, which is a great deal cause it has multiple courses.
And if you're talking about a Parisian cafe being expensive ... well, so is one in New York City!

But in general, Europe is more expensive than the US for everything. Cars are more expensive, and so is gas. Groceries in England are not cheap, especially fresh produce (and juice is exorbitant!). Public transportation is readily available but not dirt-cheap like in the US (New York City's subway is $2.75. How much is the Tube?)
But then entrance fees seem much more reasonably price to attractions than in the US, and the variation in price for a certain thing isn't as high as it is in the US (you can get a slice of pizza for under $1 in NYC, or a bowl of spaghetti for $40 (which wasn't that good anyway)).
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by supatight80
So if you were in a country that automatically adds 10-15% Service charge to your SPG/MR restaurant bill, do you Americans write an additional amount at the gratuity line?
No. As far as I am concerned, service charge ~ tip. If I'm involuntarily charged a service charge, I'm not leaving a tip on top of that.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Your statement became void when you wrote 'LWNJ' just because someone's belief wasn't aligned with yours. I suspect that most of the rest of the world disagrees with you. Have a nice evening polishing your weapon (and your gun
Yet you are the one derailing the thread by needlessly bringing up USA gun laws and Trump.

ETA: More on topic, I am in the camp of always tipping the staff in the lounge and the maid and even the person keeping the Fairfield Inn breakfast area orderly. I also make it a point to thank them. It isn't a lot of money but I want them to know their work is appreciated. A little bit of courtesy goes a long way.

Last edited by copyright1997; Oct 17, 2018 at 6:40 pm
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
For trips abroad (especially Mexico), I hit the bank to request a bunch of $2 bills (they have plenty these days). They are great for tips and I give them directly to the staff that are deserving. When doing so, they quickly disappear into their pockets.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
What is a Mexican going to do with a $1 or $2 bill? Cambios don't take them. I've seen guys give out $1 tips all over Latin America, and it's kind of a cruel joke. Brasileras frequently tell me that they save them to exchange with someone they know going to the US, i.e. they have to barter with someone else to get some local money.

If you're going to give small tips in foreign countries, at least tip in their own currency.
Enigma368 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Silver, JetBlue Mosaic
Just back from a stay at Panama City (Panama) Marriott, where for the first time I had a bill handed to me to sign in the lounge. It's clearly a ploy for tips, since they know what room I'm in when they ask for it upon entry, and could just check it off a list (as in the way it's most often done).
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Speaking only for myself, I'm more interested in reports of specific hotels that are doing this. Perhaps the generic should one tip or not & in what country/custom discussion can go in any of the many threads about the topic in TravelBuzz so this thread can stay on topic?

Cheers.
estnet likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by catocony
What is a Mexican going to do with a $1 or $2 bill? Cambios don't take them. I've seen guys give out $1 tips all over Latin America, and it's kind of a cruel joke. Brasileras frequently tell me that they save them to exchange with someone they know going to the US, i.e. they have to barter with someone else to get some local money.

If you're going to give small tips in foreign countries, at least tip in their own currency.
It does seem a little ignorant to assume someone abroad would want small amounts of change in your home currency, rather than their currency. I am sure they can still probably figure out some way to use $1 and $2 US bills, but if you are going to the effort of getting change for tips, why not get it in the currency of the country you are going to?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by s0ssos

But in general, Europe is more expensive than the US for everything. Cars are more expensive, and so is gas. Groceries in England are not cheap, especially fresh produce (and juice is exorbitant!). Public transportation is readily available but not dirt-cheap like in the US (New York City's subway is $2.75. How much is the Tube?)
But then entrance fees seem much more reasonably price to attractions than in the US, and the variation in price for a certain thing isn't as high as it is in the US (you can get a slice of pizza for under $1 in NYC, or a bowl of spaghetti for $40 (which wasn't that good anyway)).
Having lived in London for 9 years up to 2016, Canada for 1.5 and now the US for 1 year, I can say pretty confidently that groceries are much more expensive in the US on average than the UK. There are exceptions but most things, especially things like fresh cheese and meat, and most canned goods, cookies, candy etc., are much cheaper in UK supermarkets. This is not just my opinion, there are tons of articles out there outlining how much higher levels of supermarket competition in the UK makes it cheaper for groceries than the US. Beer is also cheaper in the UK, both in supermarkets and especially in bars and restaurants. Most people would not expect to pay more than 4 to 5 pounds($5-$6) for a beer or glass of wine in a UK bar or restaurant whereas in the US a glass of wine or a beer is often $9-$12 each in a bar or restaurant.

There is no question that gas is much cheaper in the US. Ubers are also much cheaper in the US than the UK. I have found eating out in restaurants in Los Angeles to be slightly lower in cost than restaurants in London with the exception of drinks as mentioned. Canada(Vancouver) was much cheaper for eating out, although weirdly groceries were a bit more expensive than both the UK and US. Rent in LA is about the same as London.

Overall I find Los Angeles to be comparable to London on price as a whole. Cheaper gas and taxis, slightly cheaper eating out costs, similar rent, more expensive groceries and drinks in bars.

expatistan.com is a pretty reliable site for comparing up to date cost of living across cities

Supermarket price and experience comparison UK to US: https://www.businessinsider.com/groc...s-for-lunch-20

Last edited by Enigma368; Oct 18, 2018 at 1:08 am
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by copyright1997

Yet you are the one derailing the thread by needlessly bringing up USA gun laws and Trump.

ETA: More on topic, I am in the camp of always tipping the staff in the lounge and the maid and even the person keeping the Fairfield Inn breakfast area orderly. I also make it a point to thank them. It isn't a lot of money but I want them to know their work is appreciated. A little bit of courtesy goes a long way.
Yeah because it's really all been about gun laws and Trump since that post (the bulk of which was on topic) which incidentally got six likes if you'd bothered to check - pretty much weakens your derailing claim
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Having lived in London for 9 years up to 2016, Canada for 1.5 and now the US for 1 year, I can say pretty confidently that groceries are much more expensive in the US on average than the UK. There are exceptions but most things, especially things like fresh cheese and meat, and most canned goods, cookies, candy etc., are much cheaper in UK supermarkets. This is not just my opinion, there are tons of articles out there outlining how much higher levels of supermarket competition in the UK makes it cheaper for groceries than the US. Beer is also cheaper in the UK, both in supermarkets and especially in bars and restaurants. Most people would not expect to pay more than 4 to 5 pounds($5-$6) for a beer or glass of wine in a UK bar or restaurant whereas in the US a glass of wine or a beer is often $9-$12 each in a bar or restaurant.

There is no question that gas is much cheaper in the US. Ubers are also much cheaper in the US than the UK. I have found eating out in restaurants in Los Angeles to be slightly lower in cost than restaurants in London with the exception of drinks as mentioned. Canada(Vancouver) was much cheaper for eating out, although weirdly groceries were a bit more expensive than both the UK and US. Rent in LA is about the same as London.

Overall I find Los Angeles to be comparable to London on price as a whole. Cheaper gas and taxis, slightly cheaper eating out costs, similar rent, more expensive groceries and drinks in bars.

expatistan.com is a pretty reliable site for comparing up to date cost of living across cities

Supermarket price and experience comparison UK to US: https://www.businessinsider.com/groc...s-for-lunch-20
In the USA, price levels for groceries can vary regionally, especially for certain types of food. For example, meat seems cheaper in the middle of the country. Moreover, city grocery stores tend to be much more expensive than suburban ones in the same area.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
The Sheraton Saskatoon, Canada has left cards on the tables in the lounge for a number of years. It asks for name, room number and Tip amount. Just to make it easier it then lists the price of a lounge breakfast or evening hors d'oeuvres, so you can calculate an appropriate percentage. It passes it off as how much it would cost to bring a guest but it is a pretty transparent ploy to guilt folks into tipping IMO. The only direct service provided is if you want alcohol, (which is then brought from the bar at bar prices), or coffee in the mornings ( although there is a self serve coffee machine already available).
Interestingly not all the staff leave these cards out. There is one particular lounge attendant who does so religiously. If you sit at a table where the card has already been used she will place it right in front of you. Most of the other lounge attendants, on different shifts, don't bother with them and they are the ones that I'm more inclined to tip
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368

So Bay Area is the most expensive place in the world right now (well, not if you qualify by how big a space is, cause then Tokyo and Hong Kong have it beat). And southern California isn't known to be cheap in the US either. But in terms of groceries, as someone else mentioned, it varies widely depending on region. Produce is dirt cheap in California. Because that is where it is from. And very expensive in Alaska, where they grow nothing, and transportation is difficult. And in NYC, it depends on where you are. Corner grocer? Pricey. Trader Joe's, or across in Jersey? Cheap.
Alcohol just doesn't have a rule. In eastern Europe it is cheaper to have a beer than a Coke. But in Scandinavia it is very expensive.
And when you say grocery shopping, it depends on what type of groceries you buy. Ready-made stuff? Yea, cheap in US. Organic? High-end items? Essentials like flour and sugar or processed goods like bread?
Plus, in the US there are coupons, which I don't think are as prevalent in the rest of the world. Look at some of those extreme couponing shows. Even if you don't go so far, often you can find a deal. And if you hop around different stores, you can often save a lot of money if you just buy what they have on sale (they call them "loss-leaders", to get people to come in, when the store actually loses money on the item).
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the USA, price levels for groceries can vary regionally, especially for certain types of food. For example, meat seems cheaper in the middle of the country. Moreover, city grocery stores tend to be much more expensive than suburban ones in the same area.
Makes sense and I'm sure SoCal, where I am is not the cheapest region by far, but I have travelled the US a lot and I strongly suspect there is nowhere in the US that can compete with UK supermarkets on price for the vast majority of goods. I would ask anyone who has lived in both the UK and USA to disagree with that. Walmart does come closer to competing with regular British supermarkets on price but Walmart is often much less convenient to get to than regular supermarkets.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Fizzer
Interestingly not all the staff leave these cards out. There is one particular lounge attendant who does so religiously. If you sit at a table where the card has already been used she will place it right in front of you. Most of the other lounge attendants, on different shifts, don't bother with them and they are the ones that I'm more inclined to tip

Is tipping in lounges something we are supposed to do now (assuming we don't order something from the staff that they bring to your table)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.