Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate FNA Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
If you need to cancel a reservation booked using a free night certificate, follow the process in this post before cancelling to avoid potentially losing your certificate. If the certificate is lost it should be re-enstatable by Marriott customer service, but it may take a while and require some extra work on your part.

Certificate “top-off” is available as of April 30th: and discussed in a separate thread. Marriott has announced that starting “in early 2022,” members will be able to combine free-night certs with up to 15,000 points when making redemptions. See the FT thread discussing the 10/26/21 announcements and Marriott’s FAQ for current info.

EXTENDING AN EXPIRING CERTIFICATE:
  • A blogger reported that as of 12/7/2023 Marriott removed the internal tool to extend an FNA, so it may or may not still be possible.
  • Your best chance for an extension is to call Marriott within 1 month of the expiration and consider having a specific property and date in mind to book. It's not necessary but even without one in mind, pick something you might use and change it later. 1-800-MARRIOT
  • Most importantly, have a good reason for needing the extension, like illness or injury.
  • If granted, the new expiration date is 1 year from the date of the request. You cannot get a 2nd extension on the same certificate, meaning the maximum life of a certificate is 2 years.
  • If not granted, some have luck by calling later a few times.
  • In 2022, Marriott seemed to deny all extension requests except a few exceptions such as here, here, and here. They may be allowing some again in 2023.

Before 18 Aug 2018, Chase issued certificates good for specific categories of hotels. Post 18 Aug 2018, all certificates have been converted or will be issued at a specific level of points. SPG AMEX and Ritz Carlton credit cards have also begun to issue certs.

25K points - lower level certificates
35K points - higher level certificates
50K points - luxury level certificates

Marriott will introduce peak and non peak levels for hotels after 1 Jan 2019. Certificates will be capped at the points level where they can be redeemed rather than for a specific category of hotel. Thus, if a hotel is 25K at the non peak level and the peak level is higher, it cannot be booked in the peak level window.

Nine co-branded credit cards offer an annual free night worth up to 85,000 points:
  • Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (formerly Starwood Preferred Guest Luxury Credit Card from American Express) - up to 85K (Second with $60k spend)
  • Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (formerly Rewards Premier Plus) Credit Card - up to 35K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Premier (formerly Rewards Premier) - up to 25K
  • Marriott Bonvoy from American Express (formerly Preferred Guest) - up to 35K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Business from American Express (formerly Preferred Guest Business) - up to 35K
  • Marriott Rewards Business Premier Plus Credit Card - up to 35K
  • Ritz Carlton Rewards - up to 85K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Bevy - up to 50k (with $15k spend)
  • Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful - up to 50k (with $15k spend)
Things to know:
  1. Amex credit card free night certificates are issued 2 months after the anniversary date of the credit card. For example if the Brilliant fee posts 7/1, the certificate is available in your Marriott account on 9/1. Chase FNA certificates can appear much sooner, within 1 week.
  2. The certificate expires one year after it is issued. You must complete your stay by the expiration date.
  3. Can NOT be combined with a 3-night award to get a "Stay for 5, Pay for 4" award.
  4. Can be used for a standard room only
  5. Cannot be used for "redemption with cash upgrade" or any points and cash combination
  6. According to Marriott's terms, points reservations can be gifted to another person but certificates earned from a credit card cannot. This means the certificate owner (cardholder) must check-in even if someone else is listed as a guest on the reservation. In some cases a property has given leeway and allowed just the guest to check-in anyway without the certificate owner present, but it is risky to depend on this.
  7. If you use "top-off" with a certificate and the room price later decreases, you can modify the reservation to rebook the same date and recover the difference in top-off points.
  8. If you made a reservation with a FNA and want to know its expiration date, you can find it by editing the reservation as described at this link.
  9. If you downgrade the Amex Brilliant to the $95 Amex Bonvoy card, you can still get your anniversary FNA.
How to use:
  • Search for a points booking at an eligible hotel and the option to use the certificate a replacement for some of the required points should appear during the booking process
  • Some have had trouble booking certificates from the 2020 credit card offer to get 5 free nights. In that case, try this website for booking: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/red...free-nights.mi
  • Officially Marriott allows gifting of points awards but not gifting of free night certificates from credit cards. For the latter, your name will still need to be the reservation. Whether the property requires you to be present for check-in may depend on the hotel.
  • If you have 2 certificates of different value and try to redeem one, the Marriott website offers the one expiring first. If that's not what you want, work around this issue by making a dummy booking with that certificate. Then book the real reservation with the desired certificate. Then cancel the dummy. Be sure to pay attention to any cancellation terms since a few properties are more strict than others.
Older archived notes below:

NEW EXTENSION OF CERTIFICATES announced in October 2021:
  • Free night awards, Suite night awards, and travel certificates will be given a new expiration date of June 30, 2022
  • The Marriott Bonvoy app shows the original issue date of your free night certificates. Go to Account -> Free Night Certificates to find the issue date in small print above each certificate. It's unlikely you have a certificate that won't be extended. If you don't see the issue date in the app, you'll have to wait for the actual extension to happen to check the new expiration.
  • Expiration of points is paused through December 31, 2022. At that time, your points will only expire if your account has been inactive for at least 24 months
  • In March 2022, Marriott will eliminate hotel categories and use variable point pricing for awards. Only a small number will be affected at first, so you won't see an immediate sweep of all properties at once.
PREVIOUS EXTENSION announced May 2021:
  • "Starting May 6, members who had a FNA with an original expiration date in 2020, or which will expire before January 2, 2022, as part of their Cobrand Credit Card Benefit, Annual Choice Benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to redeem it through January 3, 2022.
  • Please note that FNAs with an original expiration date before 2020 will not be eligible for the additional extension. Members do not need to take any action because the system will automatically update their account with these extensions on May 6, 2021."
PREVIOUS EXTENSION announced in 2020:
The expiration date on certificates this year is pushed to 1/31/21.
  • ...Members who currently have an active Free Night Award (FNA) expiring in 2020 as part of their credit card benefit, annual choice benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to use it through January 31, 2021.”
  • Expiration dates will be updated by the end of April, giving priority to those expiring soonest.
  • If yours will expire within just a couple days, contact a Marriott representative here by private message.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate FNA Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by cfischer
any updates on using these certs for SPG properties?
I just used the e-cert online from my Starwood cc. The option went to "error" after clicking "book now". But I did receive a confirmation email and the reservation confirmation shows up in "My Trips" anyway. So it looks like it is ultimately working now - but clearly there are still some issues Marriott needs to iron out.

As for value - just lovely. Redeemed a 35k cert for a $400 cash price. Minus the $95 af - I'm pretty happy. I'll definitely be keeping my Starwood cc now (even though post devaluation I don't use it anymore except for Starwood stays).
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Please Direct Me to Updated Info: Marriott Visa Cat 1-5 Cert Value

Hi Everyone,

A bit confused to the current state of affairs with the Marriott/SPG merger. I had booked an award reservation a few months ago (prior to the integration) for a Cat 5 property in NYC. I planned on using the Visa Cat 1-5 certificate but I didn't get a around to calling Marriott to extend the certificate expiration (reservation was just a month outside of validity).

I went ahead today to check when I needed to extend and apply the certificate, but noticed it now shows only 25,000 value. I clearly recall 35,000 for Category 5, which this cert should have covered.

Some searching revealed there appears to be a devaluation of some sort, but not sure if there has been any official solution Marriott has provided for members who now can not apply that certificate.

Appreciate anyone pointing me to the latest thread/update on this situation.

TIA.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Free night certificates question

If my wife and I both carry a SPG Amex credit card and each receive a free night each every year, can we combine them into one weekend stay at the same hotel? Or would we need to book them separately and check out/check in after the first night (less convenient, obviously)? We'd both be there for both nights.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I'm sure the front desk would let you keep the same room and just do the transfer between names/reservations on the middle day. I've sometimes had 2 reservations for a long weekend stay when we've added on an extra night and the front desk sort it out so we don't need to check out/check back in.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by arnel
If my wife and I both carry a SPG Amex credit card and each receive a free night each every year, can we combine them into one weekend stay at the same hotel? Or would we need to book them separately and check out/check in after the first night (less convenient, obviously)? We'd both be there for both nights.
Originally Posted by nequine
I'm sure the front desk would let you keep the same room and just do the transfer between names/reservations on the middle day. I've sometimes had 2 reservations for a long weekend stay when we've added on an extra night and the front desk sort it out so we don't need to check out/check back in.
Just make sure you book the exact same room type.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
And if one of you has higher status, book that person for the first night.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:52 am

Welp, just got turned down trying to extend a soon-expiring cert. Explanation was that since Chase CC no longer held, system won’t allow expiry to be extended. I’m pretty confident this wasn’t a case of getting a bad/surly CSR. She was trying her best to be helpful: had me on hold for several minutes, and explained that she got an error trying to cash out the cert for points(!) as well as trying to extend expiry.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Hi Everyone,

A bit confused to the current state of affairs with the Marriott/SPG merger. I had booked an award reservation a few months ago (prior to the integration) for a Cat 5 property in NYC. I planned on using the Visa Cat 1-5 certificate but I didn't get a around to calling Marriott to extend the certificate expiration (reservation was just a month outside of validity).

I went ahead today to check when I needed to extend and apply the certificate, but noticed it now shows only 25,000 value. I clearly recall 35,000 for Category 5, which this cert should have covered.

Some searching revealed there appears to be a devaluation of some sort, but not sure if there has been any official solution Marriott has provided for members who now can not apply that certificate.

Appreciate anyone pointing me to the latest thread/update on this situation.

TIA.
Just to clear this up, your certificate was an old 1-5 cert (based on the fact that you are looking for the expiration date in the next month or so . Those were worth 25k points, and when the merger took place in August, they assigned those certs a 25k value, not keeping them as new category 1-5 .
Happy and margarita girl like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I clearly recall 35,000 for Category 5, which this cert should have covered.
Originally Posted by joeags
Just to clear this up, your certificate was an old 1-5 cert (based on the fact that you are looking for the expiration date in the next month or so . Those were worth 25k points, and when the merger took place in August, they assigned those certs a 25k value, not keeping them as new category 1-5 .
Yep, Cat 5 was 25k points before 8/18. Now that's Cat 4.
Happy and margarita girl like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by beltway
Welp, just got turned down trying to extend a soon-expiring cert. Explanation was that since Chase CC no longer held, system won’t allow expiry to be extended
That's been the case for a long time. MR contacts Chase to approve the extension, and if you are no longer a Chase customer, then they won't approve the extension. Time to book it.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:45 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Tanic
That's been the case for a long time. MR contacts Chase to approve the extension, and if you are no longer a Chase customer, then they won't approve the extension. Time to book it.
Would extension be possible if I remain a Chase CC customer? I have one cert that expires in May, but would prefer to use it in the summer if it can be extended. If it can be extended, would it be an one-time exception type deal? TIA.

LAX
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by LAX
Would extension be possible if I remain a Chase CC customer?... If it can be extended, would it be an one-time exception type deal? TIA.LAX
There's no written policy that I'm aware of, but in the past Chase has approved one-time extensions of the MR certs for current customers. Generally it is one year from the date of call in (before expiry), so if you call MR now to extend it would cover next summer.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by joeags
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yep, Cat 5 was 25k points before 8/18. Now that's Cat 4.

So it sounds like the only recourse (if any) is to call MR up and ask them to update/upgrade my certificate?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:31 pm

So it sounds like the only recourse (if any) is to call MR up and ask them to update/upgrade my certificate?
The CC certs have a fixed point value. Some are worth 25k, others are worth 35k.

I have not heard of MR or Chase or AmEx upgrading existing CC certs to a higher point value. They may be extendable.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
The CC certs have a fixed point value. Some are worth 25k, others are worth 35k.

I have not heard of MR or Chase or AmEx upgrading existing CC certs to a higher point value. They may be extendable.
That would royally suck... when I booked the Cat 5 award night many months ago (pre-Aug merger), my cert was technically good for Cat 1-5. The reservation was actually a month past the expiration of the certificate, so I was going to call it in for them to extend it so I could apply it. I initially held off because there was possibly another trip that I was going to use for January but wound up not needing it.

But now at 25K (old Cat 5) it means it's no longer valid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.