Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145
Elite processing: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-34363

How will my Eligible Status Years for 2022 be applied to my Account and when?

If you maintained the same Elite status in 2022 that you started with in 2022 , your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be applied to your Account in January 2023.

If you achieved a higher Elite status during 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for the new, higher tier was applied at the time of achievement.

If you did not meet the published criteria to renew your current status in 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be added in January 2023, and your Eligible Status Year for your new status will be added in March 2023 when your Elite status is updated.

===

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:44 pm

A quick question regarding status year counts. I recently crossed 50 nights to re-qualify for another year at Platinum. When does the additional status year get added (counted) - upon re-qualification or on 1 January?

One other question which I could not fully determine - if total Platinum status years include Marriott matched years (matched from SPG Platinum), do these properly count for LTPP qualification?

Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whereiswaldo
A quick question regarding status year counts. I recently crossed 50 nights to re-qualify for another year at Platinum. When does the additional status year get added (counted) - upon re-qualification or on 1 January?

One other question which I could not fully determine - if total Platinum status years include Marriott matched years (matched from SPG Platinum), do these properly count for LTPP qualification?

Thanks.
1. If you already had linked status, and you now have "truly earned" status, that additional status year won't be counted until January (not the 1st, just "early") AFAIK.

2. Linked/matched years are not supposed to count. Some people fear that they will be removed only in January, by which time it will be too late to take any further action.

Just to clarify, all that Marriott has said is "early 2019". They definitely never said January 1, I'm not sure if they even ever said January. It could be February or March for all we know and given the track record of the merger so far .
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: United Lifetime 1K, Global Service, Marriott LTTE, Hyatt GLobalist, AA MM,Hertz PC, Global Entry
Thank you for reinforcing it is not a loyalty program, but merely a what have you done for us today. Program.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
is the general consensus that it's now safe to combine accounts?

i'm likely done with my stays for the year, am platinum premier in both (pre-merger) programs separately and should be LTPP after january.

have i stalled long enough?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Yeah that seems to be the least of the IT issues at the moment
karenkay likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Thank you for reminding us that there are still people like you with so few nights. You do realize many of us on this board have far more nights, so it's odd to us that you would feel some sort of entitlement that those of us with more nights don't?

It's not about you being rewarded. This is a marketing program, not a rewards program, despite the name. If Marriott thinks giving lifetime perks to people with 600 nights over a minimum of ten years is the sweet spot where Marriott gets its best return on the investment in the perks, who are you to tell them to not do what maximizes profits on the investment and instead do something that will make you feel special? It's not about making you feel special, it's about maximizing profits. If you don't like it, stop giving Marriott business.
How can you say its not a rewards program?

You stay, you get points [rewards] rewards are used to get something else its a rewards programA rewards program is a marketing program true however it still is a you purchase from me and I reward you with this [points, status etc]The rewards program is also a loyalty program in hopes [in this case] you get enough rewards to stay with Marriott. The rewards program has defined benefits based on the number of purchases [nights/dollars etc] and within a certain bucket [status] you have defined benefits. Marriott has not published that customer A with 1200 nights gets more than customer B with 1300 nights. So Customer A has as much right to the expectation of those benefits as customer B within the same bucket. While this is not true at AA where its how much have you spent in the last 12 months to get a higher queue in the upgrade bucket; I have never read this in the MR program. This IS a rewards program AND loyalty program.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by karenkay
is the general consensus that it's now safe to combine accounts?

i'm likely done with my stays for the year, am platinum premier in both (pre-merger) programs separately and should be LTPP after january.

have i stalled long enough?
The main deciding criteria to me is if your data is correct in the individual accounts then combining should be safe. BE SURE to take screen shots of both accounts before you do the combination and watch the process closely to make sure it's setting you up to do do what you want. Also remember it will take a few days for everything to come together so don't panic if your history is not complete for a few days.
karenkay and kennycrudup like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
...in hopes [in this case] you get enough rewards to stay with Marriott.
There is no reason for a company to award past activity. They have that profit already and would be foolish to spend money unless there is new profit to be had. All awards were promised in the hopes of getting customers to give business. Marriott gives perks in return for our giving the business, not to award us but to drive us to give them that business. It is foolish to think there is any other motivation. We have seen that when the economy lowers hotel business they give us more benefits so as to drive more business and when hotel business is brisk they pull back on benefits.

The program is not your friend, any sort of of recognition of achievement or reward. It is a way for Marriott to drive business to Marriott.

Heck, lifetime benefits are given so those working towards LT will see there is something to work for, not because Marriott wants to thank a bunch of retirees who aren't going to give much business in the future. Yes, there are those who have LT who are still stay frequently, but they would qualify anyway based on present stays. LT status is more about showing those still staying there is reason to get LT than in any way actually rewarding past stays.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:20 am

If Marriott does not want to thank retirees, why do they grandfather LTPP with months advance notice For active frequent guests they would not need to give lifetime status, while less frequent former frequent user appreciate that and more chances to use the chain than others.

At least giving LTPP does not work for on-going users. Exceptions are those who are very closed to 750 line but it is limited to 2018 only. Some would say LTPP and LT have different purpose but there should be disappointed people once losing incentive to use the chain and leaving MPG as possible. If either LTP is the highest or LTPP is achievable after 2019, that would be different though.

I do not know how MPG marketing person aimed but this is humble feeling as a person (PP+A and LTP) who has lost the incentive and shifting to another chain...
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
[QUOTE=cozysuite;30490372]If Marriott does not want to thank retirees, why do they grandfather LTPP with months advance notice [/QUOTE}

Could you imagine a marketing professional suggesting Marriott spend money on customers who were profitable in the past but are likely past their prime spending days? Or to create and close LTPP even though it would make the company more money to keep it open but it should be closed anyway? Unless there is a reason to believe the program would increase present business no company would invest time, effort or money. Shareholders wouldn't stand for it. The decision to create and close LTPP is no different than any other business decision in that regard. Marriott would not be creating and closing the level if they thought keeping it open or not creating it in the first place would be more profitable. If they thought they would make more money keeping it open it would stay open.

Had LTPP not been created and LTP and LTG be given the same status/name in the new program, those presently working towards LT status would be given a message that Marriott might chop your benefits in the future. LTPP was not created to shower benefits on retirees. It was created to show today's LTP will not become tomorrow's LTG. On the SPG side, nobody would have been chopped down a LT level given there was no 750 night level, hence they were not originally included until there was pushback showing an unfairness. Had the level been created to award those with 750 nights SPG members would have likely been included at the start.

LTP will now be the highest level. Should Marriott decide to discontinue that level people presently at that level would likely not be shoved into a lower level, even if a new soon-to-be-closed level has to be created. Those presently working towards LTP can believe that based on Marriott not doing it this time.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
The decision to create and close LTPP is no different than any other business decision in that regard. Marriott would not be creating and closing the level if they thought keeping it open or not creating it in the first place would be more profitable. If they thought they would make more money keeping it open it would stay open.
Yes. I agree that. That's their marketing decision and nothing to do with our individual wish. I just thought their decision to "create and close LTPP" sounds like showing thanks to retirees (or "customers who were profitable in the past but are likely past their prime spending days" whoever).

While I'm not a person falling in that category now, as 10+ years of SPG PLT, recent years of 100+ nights/year with 4 Mil Points, I will have no chance to be considered as such. As I realise they are not targeting a person like me, I become not interested in the new program and already started using MPG as my backup, 2nd or 3rd choice chain.

Please don't get me wrong I understand the majority has different situation and the profitability would come from another segment. But as far as I'm not welcomed well by the merged program, there is no reason to stick to this hotel chain at least for me I thank them to give a good chance to realise that before it's too late.

Last edited by cozysuite; Dec 2, 2018 at 4:23 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
2. Linked/matched years are not supposed to count. Some people fear that they will be removed only in January, by which time it will be too late to take any further action.
This point gives me great pause - can you clarify further on "linked/matched years?" For context on my concern, I am showing as 8 years with Platinum status. Some of those years are courtesy of the RewardsPlus partnership with United. Is it possible those years will disappear? FWIW (having reached LT Globalist with Hyatt) I've increased my stays with Marriott (I'll hit 83 nights in 2018).

Thank you!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by sdsearch
1. If you already had linked status, and you now have "truly earned" status, that additional status year won't be counted until January (not the 1st, just "early") AFAIK.
As far as I know after the calendar year ends any year(s) achieved will be added to the year count.
With respect to that linked year are not supposed to count... It was communicated on this board that this class of years was not to count on the other hand the actual methodology to count and combine the years in the combined program has be deemed proprietary information and will never released to the public, hence they may count for certain accounts (anecdotal evidence of this exists) who knows?. I would be very surprised if any material year count changes, except those related to activity in 2018, would occur in Jan 2019. MAR have made the public stance very clear: LT numbers are correct, system is stable etc. In my ears that means that the vast majority of combined accounts are signed off, i.e. treated as correct, under normal circumstances after almost 4M you would expect this to be the case. For accounts to be augmented at this stage I would expect that the account owner need to raise a ticket and they would make a individual investigation.
The biggest uncertainty in my reasoning is the incompetence at MAR IT with so sub standard execution and management everything is possible but ... let hope they got heir act together ...

Last edited by X-ON; Dec 4, 2018 at 3:32 am
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
This point gives me great pause - can you clarify further on "linked/matched years?" For context on my concern, I am showing as 8 years with Platinum status. Some of those years are courtesy of the RewardsPlus partnership with United. Is it possible those years will disappear? FWIW (having reached LT Globalist with Hyatt) I've increased my stays with Marriott (I'll hit 83 nights in 2018).

Thank you!
I too was surprised to find three add'l years from the UA partnership added to my total...if they go away I don't need them, but I know not everyone has that benefit.

With Marriott's JV IT and general clumsiness these days anything is possible...I guess we will all find out in early Jan.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I've followed this thread on and off but the LTPP has another benefit for myself and MR.

I traveled a lot until 2013 ish. I earned my stripes at SPG and MR for 20 years. The last five years I have not traveled. i've stayed local to be with my kids. However the older has graduated HS & is in college and the other is a SR and will go away to college next year.

I've notified my work that I can go back on the road. I presume that they will send me back on the road as soon as I give them the green light.
What LTPP will do is keep me at MR. If I lost or did not have LT status, I would look at all the chains and see what would be the best situation for me based on locations, price points, ease of hitting top tier status and the benefits associated with a program.

LTPP has basically said, keep using MR. So I look at LTPP as a bridge from my past heavy business travel to my future heavy business travel.
RogerD408 and kennycrudup like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.