Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott, Starwood and Ritz-Carlton - new consolidated program
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Old Sep 17, 18, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; Starriott LT Plat; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer View Post
But the new program limits to a single 15-night award annually, no?
Correct, though I forget if that rule is in effect now or not until 2019. But in any case, my response to the OP was for this case:
- No credit card nights posted yet for 2018.
- Late-in-year anniversary date for old credit card, so nights not yet posted.
- Need the 15 2018 nights to earn status level.
- Considering upgrading to the new credit card.

In this case, you should wait to upgrade until after the old card anniversary, once the nights (and free night cert) have posted.
Old Sep 17, 18, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat/1.5MM, SPG P100, Marriott LTP(P, coming to you in Jan '19), Hertz Prez, CBP GE, et al
Originally Posted by swag View Post
Correct, though I forget if that rule is in effect now or not until 2019. But in any case, my response to the OP was for this case:
- No credit card nights posted yet for 2018.
- Late-in-year anniversary date for old credit card, so nights not yet posted.
- Need the 15 2018 nights to earn status level.
- Considering upgrading to the new credit card.

In this case, you should wait to upgrade until after the old card anniversary, once the nights (and free night cert) have posted.
Ah, that makes perfect sense.
Old Sep 19, 18, 7:44 am

Lifetime status question, was c/s rep wrong?

I currently have 230 nights and 14 elite years lifetime with SPG
I have 13 nights and no elite years with Marriott

My understanding from the many other threads I've read is that if I squeeze in 20 more nights this year I'll be SPG Gold Lifetime which will then map to Gold Elite lifetime with the combined program, but if I reach 250 next year (or thereafter) it would be for Silver Elite. A customer service rep told me that I would be Silver Elite in either scenario.

If it's the former and I need to cram in some nights this year, do multiple rooms the same night at the same property count? That is, if I need 5 more nights and find a cheap Courtyard Marriott somewhere can I go check in to 5 rooms for one night?

Thanks for any insight!
Old Sep 19, 18, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, starriott plat, LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i can't answer your first question, but know someone will be along in a moment with the info.

in terms of getting more nights, multiple rooms at the same property no longer count, but if you hold a meeting at a marriott property you can get 10 nights for your first meeting...see the thread about rewarding events for more info.

good luck!
Old Sep 19, 18, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
In theory if you get another 20 nights this year with legacy SPG hotels you should be able to qualify as Marriott Lifetime Gold. Personally, I'm sceptical Marriott will ever make true on this part of their offer, but it's very clear that's what they have said.
Old Sep 19, 18, 8:35 am

Thanks for the info. Based on the Marriott website, it doesn't look like there's much of a difference between Lifetime Silver Elite and Lifetime Gold Elite :-)

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...fits/silver.mi
https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...nefits/gold.mi

IT fails aside, considering I'll likely never reach the new Gold threshhold in the combined program but will get lifetime Silver easily, how much is the Lifetime Gold worth? I'm just not at all familiar with the Marriott program and not sure how big a difference it will make.
Old Sep 19, 18, 9:01 am

Programs: MR Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jbsjbs View Post
IT fails aside, considering I'll likely never reach the new Gold threshhold in the combined program but will get lifetime Silver easily, how much is the Lifetime Gold worth? I'm just not at all familiar with the Marriott program and not sure how big a difference it will make.
Marriott Gold is essentially a new level at 25 nights/yr as the old Marriott 50 night Gold is now called Platinum. I certainly wouldn’t spend money out of my pocket and go out of my way to get lifetime gold as there is no lounge access/free breakfast, arrival gift or guaranteed late checkout.

You can also get Gold with the Amex SPG Luxury Card - which has a price tag of $450, but comes with an annual free night, and $300 of Marriott stay credit, which IMO offset the yearly fee if you are staying Marriott hotels a few times a year.

You can also get Gold in both Marriott and Hilton (which does have free breakfast at that level) with the Amex Platinum card.
Old Sep 19, 18, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goldenbear View Post
You can also get Gold in both Marriott and Hilton (which does have free breakfast at that level) with the Amex Platinum card.
There's also Hilton Diamond for carrying the Amex Aspire card. It's another card that nets out as paying you to carry it *if* you can find your way to at least 1 Hilton resort per year.
Old Sep 19, 18, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbsjbs View Post
Thanks for the info. Based on the Marriott website, it doesn't look like there's much of a difference between Lifetime Silver Elite and Lifetime Gold Elite :-)

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...fits/silver.mi
https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...nefits/gold.mi

This website:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/ins-an...elite-program/

explains it a lot better than the current Marriott website. What you get with Gold that you don't get with Silver:
  • a slightly clearer (2 pm) late checkout benefit (subject to availability)
  • a bit more points per dollar on stays (25% vs 10%)
  • a welcome gift (points)
  • complimentary enhanced internet
  • a stab at upgrades to enhanced rooms (not suites) (subject to availability)
Originally Posted by goldenbear View Post
Marriott Gold is essentially a new level at 25 nights/yr as the old Marriott 50 night Gold is now called Platinum. I certainly wouldn’t spend money out of my pocket and go out of my way to get lifetime gold as there is no lounge access/free breakfast, arrival gift or guaranteed late checkout.
As you can see, you do get an arrival gift (but only points), and you get a better chance at a mild late checkout than with Silver (but not a "guarantee" nor 4 pm). So compared to Platinum, it's certainly not nearly as good, but compared to Silver, some might consider it enough of an improvement to pursue, while others might not.

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 19, 18 at 4:35 pm
Old Sep 19, 18, 4:41 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.
I believe you can also get Gold status with the Amex SPG card w/$35K annual spend.

In the pre August merge program (it then had a $30K spend requirement), I did this for the last few years as: 1) I no longer travel for work as a way to get Lounge access at Starwood and 2) The SPG Amex at 1 pt -> 3 MR points was a good value (since the merger with Marriott and linkage of accounts). Without lounge access, the value of Gold is (imho) much lessened. [Luckily, I am LT PE with the merged program and should be LT PPE after the year end sweep so I regained Lounge access.]
Old Oct 11, 18, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH GLD (thanks Citi), former DL silver
Has anyone seen their year counters increase yet after re-qualifying? Or do we know when this happens (end of year, .etc)?
Old Oct 12, 18, 5:51 am
Moderator: Marriott Rewards forum & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier Hertz President's Circle
I qualified as LTP years ago and I am LTPP under the new system. My night counter is correctly rising with every stay. Iím at 4442 now.

Bruce
Old Oct 12, 18, 6:01 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MR/SPG PP Lifetime ?? MR/SPG
Originally Posted by nall View Post
Has anyone seen their year counters increase yet after re-qualifying? Or do we know when this happens (end of year, .etc)?
I have combined my MR and SPG accounts and had 50+ nights this year. Requalified after combining accounts, while my LT night counter keep ticking up my years as platinum and above is stuck at 9. What has been communicated by the ex spg lurkers is that the years counter will be updated in Jan next year. Whether this is going to happen or not given the IT track record we will see.
​​​​​
Old Oct 14, 18, 10:58 am
formerly samwilliams88

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Plat Prem Elite
What should I expect? [Platinum elite benefits]

Iím a fairly new to the Marriot/SPG rewards. I have just become Platinum Elite, and want to know as I can not make sense of various wordings of benefits I will get.

I have a booking at the W Hotel in London this week, should I expect an upgrade and if so, so I get a suite? How do the upgrades work, can I book any room and if available I will be upgraded to a suite? Or do I have to book the room under a suite to get the suite upgrade (if available).

If im not upgraded at check in, do you as platinum ask for an upgrade in case theyíve not checked? How can I check if an upgrade is likely?

Also, free breakfast? I donít see a place in the app to change my welcome benefit to Breakfast? Is this normal?

If someone can explain the upgrade in simple turns that would be great?

Thanks
Old Oct 14, 18, 6:13 pm

Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
I got into the Concierge Lounge by claiming I forgot my Platinum member card. FDA added access and gave complimentary breakfast vouchers. Didn't even check to see if I was indeed Platinum or not.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: