Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Downgrades at Desk After Upgraded Confirmed in App

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

On my past two leisure stays with MR properties, I have had the same frustrating experience. 1-2 days out, as AMB I am upgraded by the property and see the new room type in the app (e.g. King Junior Suite). I also receive a "You've been upgraded" push notification. Then, on arrival, I show up and, with the upgraded room type still visible in the app, am given keys to a room that is of the booked room type or even lower - not the upgrade. Agent acts confused, says it is a mystery, etc. In one case the upgrade was restored, in the other it was not as they were claimed to be sold out.

I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts or experiences - is this regularly happening to other folks? Or has it always been, and I've just started experiencing it?

And just to head off where this will be invariably going - discussion of what one is "entitled to" beyond the booked room type is not necessary. Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:26 pm

Yeah this happens to me all the time.
when an upgraded room type shows up on my app prior to my arrival, I only interpret it as a slightly better chance at being upgraded than otherwise.
yyzflyer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
It's happened to me as well, though not frequently. Until you get to the front desk and pick up your room key, anything showing in the app or online is subject to change.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
honestly i don't even care anymore since i always get "upgraded" to a club level room.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I have it happen every so often. I figure what happens is I get preupgraded as they are going through elite check ins for the next few days...but as people book at the last minute and are higher ranking than me as per Bonvoy status or internal hotel status, I'll go back down.

I actually would rather Marriott IT would program the app to not show an upgrade unless its reached the point where when I check in, I'm going to get it. But given IT can't even properly calculate nights and years of status...I'm not going to hold my breath.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
On my past two leisure stays with MR properties, I have had the same frustrating experience. 1-2 days out, as AMB I am upgraded by the property and see the new room type in the app (e.g. King Junior Suite). I also receive a "You've been upgraded" push notification. Then, on arrival, I show up and, with the upgraded room type still visible in the app, am given keys to a room that is of the booked room type or even lower - not the upgrade. Agent acts confused, says it is a mystery, etc. In one case the upgrade was restored, in the other it was not as they were claimed to be sold out.

I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts or experiences - is this regularly happening to other folks? Or has it always been, and I've just started experiencing it?

And just to head off where this will be invariably going - discussion of what one is "entitled to" beyond the booked room type is not necessary. Thanks!
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by dcstudent
I have it happen every so often. I figure what happens is I get preupgraded as they are going through elite check ins for the next few days...but as people book at the last minute and are higher ranking than me as per Bonvoy status or internal hotel status, I'll go back down.

I actually would rather Marriott IT would program the app to not show an upgrade unless its reached the point where when I check in, I'm going to get it. But given IT can't even properly calculate nights and years of status...I'm not going to hold my breath.
Trust us...owners...managers...and line level staff would all love if Marriott would dump this feature.
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:51 pm

...am given keys to a room that is of the booked room type or even lower - not the upgrade.
The bold part is the only thing about which to complain. Complimentary upgrades are based upon what's available at the time of check-in. And it seems like you already know that or you wouldn't have included this:

As someone that worked at a hotel Front Desk for many years, the reasons why a pre-arrival upgrade can disappear is long list. Without question, it's possible that the hotel is playing games. But, there are also reasons that aren't nefarious: maintenance issue with a room, housekeeping deciding to "carry" dirty rooms overnight because staff called in sick, unexpected stayovers of in-house guests, last minute VIP booking, walk-in wanting an upgrade, non-elite arrival deciding to pay for an upgrade, or simple human error by the Front Desk staff.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 11:08 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I may mention it if that room type is still showing available online to see if maybe it's just not ready yet or something. But it happens and really not much to do about it. If they happened to sell my pre-assigned suite the day before, I can't really complain.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I also receive a "You've been upgraded" push notification.
You do? That's the most surprising part of the post to me. I've never received one, even though I sometimes see an upgrade in the app before I get to the hotel. I don't believe I've done anything to disable them.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
You do? That's the most surprising part of the post to me. I've never received one, even though I sometimes see an upgrade in the app before I get to the hotel. I don't believe I've done anything to disable them.
Yup. Definitely received one an hour before check-in time on my latest stay (not sure what the driver on the timing was, as I'd been showing upgraded in the app for a day at that point). Also have received them for previous stays. Not 100% of the time though.
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Yup. Definitely received one an hour before check-in time on my latest stay (not sure what the driver on the timing was, as I'd been showing upgraded in the app for a day at that point). Also have received them for previous stays. Not 100% of the time though.
Interesting, I'll have to check my settings more closely. I do get the push notifications reminding me to check in a couple days before.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:13 am

I always receive a “You’ve been upgraded!” push notification if I checked-in via the app and right after I receive the “Your room key is ready. Step by the front desk to collect it” push notification (and, of course, if there was a room upgrade to begin with).

At this point the upgrade, if any, should be final. However, there are plenty of DYKWIA guests out there, and if one of them happens to checkin physically before I do there’s definitely a chance that just of exhaustion he’ll get a front desk associate to reassign him my yet unoccupied upgraded room.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:18 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I always wondered if the "upgrade" was Marriott's Corp system following the normal rules. It automatically checks and sees there is availability, grabs the room and notifies you (all done without any direct interaction with someone at the hotel). Then maybe the day of arrival, someone as the hotel checks the room assignments, sees the upgraded room and downgrades us as they don't want to "give that room away."
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I always wondered if the "upgrade" was Marriott's Corp system following the normal rules. It automatically checks and sees there is availability, grabs the room and notifies you (all done without any direct interaction with someone at the hotel). Then maybe the day of arrival, someone as the hotel checks the room assignments, sees the upgraded room and downgrades us as they don't want to "give that room away."
If that's the case, a lot of hotels have figured out how to override that system.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
I always receive a “You’ve been upgraded!” push notification if I checked-in via the app and right after I receive the “Your room key is ready. Step by the front desk to collect it” push notification (and, of course, if there was a room upgrade to begin with).
So the exact verbiage on the most recent was actually a hybrid - it said I've been upgraded, and should stop by to get my key (one message).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.