Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Merger Room Type Guarantee

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Post Merger Room Type Guarantee

I had a recent stay at a large urban Marriott where I reserved a king room. It was a franchise property so not operated by Marriott. Unfortunately, when I checked in they told me they were oversold on king rooms and only had a low floor double bed with a lovely view overlooking the parking garage ...

I told them that I would prefer the king bed I had reserved but that if it was not available I would like to take the room type guarantee available to PPE. That led to 20 minutes of discussion with lots of trips to the back room where they insisted that doesn't apply if the reservation wasn't made 24 hours in advance. I showed them the guarantee page from the website and they agreed there was no such requirement on the website but said they had been trained differently.

The website is pretty clear: "When making a reservation, be sure to note both your Member number and room/bed preferences. At locations throughout the U.S. and Canada, we’ll always honor your bed type request. Outside U.S. and Canada, smoking/non-smoking preferences are honored based on availability; exact bed sizes may vary, and only Platinum Premier Elite members will have guaranteed priority for their requested type of bed and room. If guarantee is not met, guest compensation applies"

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...mi#gtdroomtype

I hate making a big deal about these things but didn't appreciate the hotel approach. Ultimately, I ended up on the phone with a supervisor who offered 10,000 points (it's not like I need them .... ) rather than the cash and I agreed. Unfortunately, the points haven't shown up yet so we'll see.

Any idea where the 24 hour requirement comes from?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I had a recent stay at a large urban Marriott where I reserved a king room. It was a franchise property so not operated by Marriott. Unfortunately, when I checked in they told me they were oversold on king rooms and only had a low floor double bed with a lovely view overlooking the parking garage ...

I told them that I would prefer the king bed I had reserved but that if it was not available I would like to take the room type guarantee available to PPE. That led to 20 minutes of discussion with lots of trips to the back room where they insisted that doesn't apply if the reservation wasn't made 24 hours in advance. I showed them the guarantee page from the website and they agreed there was no such requirement on the website but said they had been trained differently.

The website is pretty clear: "When making a reservation, be sure to note both your Member number and room/bed preferences. At locations throughout the U.S. and Canada, we’ll always honor your bed type request. Outside U.S. and Canada, smoking/non-smoking preferences are honored based on availability; exact bed sizes may vary, and only Platinum Premier Elite members will have guaranteed priority for their requested type of bed and room. If guarantee is not met, guest compensation applies"

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...mi#gtdroomtype

I hate making a big deal about these things but didn't appreciate the hotel approach. Ultimately, I ended up on the phone with a supervisor who offered 10,000 points (it's not like I need them .... ) rather than the cash and I agreed. Unfortunately, the points haven't shown up yet so we'll see.

Any idea where the 24 hour requirement comes from?
Sounds like they are mashing up different benefits. I believe there is a 48-hour advance requirement for the guaranteed reservation. Do others a favor and post your experience on Trip Advisor to let others know some of the tricks being pulled by the property. Shame can do a lot to get things fixed. It might be too late for your stay, but maybe a future or others?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:27 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
There is a clause under the Guaranteed Room Type section stating "A Platinum Elite Member or above who makes a reservation on the same day he/she plans to arrive at the property is not eligible to receive the Guaranteed Room Type benefit." So the question becomes, when did you make the reservation? If it was on the same day as you will be checking-in, then the Guarantee doesn't apply.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#elite
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hhoope01
There is a clause under the Guaranteed Room Type section stating "A Platinum Elite Member or above who makes a reservation on the same day he/she plans to arrive at the property is not eligible to receive the Guaranteed Room Type benefit." So the question becomes, when did you make the reservation? If it was on the same day as you will be checking-in, then the Guarantee doesn't apply.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#elite

Thanks for pointing this out. There are inconsistencies between the section I cited and the section you cited.

In my case, I did it when jumping on a redeye and heading east so it was a different day for me but the same day for them.

In any event, the compromise we agreed to credited so I'll drop it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.