Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

World of Hyatt As Alternative To SPG Platinum After Bungled Program Merger?

Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:44 am
Original Poster

"According to the hundreds of messages and emails we received over the last few months there is a large customer base of current Starwood customers out there that became so disgusted by the way the Marriott-SPG merger that they seek to jump ship to another program..."

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/10/04/...r/?omhide=true

Last edited by hhoope01; Oct 11, 2018 at 8:01 pm Reason: Quoted entire article
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
I ended up with Hilton as my new default, with SPG here and there where it makes more sense. My rationale was that I could get Diamond through the AX card (I was gold before) - I used to be Diamond at Hyatt when it was still called that, and I actually liked Hyatt - I used to be mainly a Sheraton, Westin, St Regis guy - so Hyatt was a better fit than the Hilton brand and if Hyatt would have done a status match - I probably would have ended up back at Hyatt rather than Hilton.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hyatt has about 1/10 the number of properties as Marriott. Because of its small footprint, it is very difficult to reach 60 (or even 55 or 50) Hyatt nights if your travel is not focused on cities with a Hyatt presence. And their mid-tier (Explorist, at 30 nights) is worthless.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:29 am

I love a number of Hyatt properties and I think that, discounting there smaller presence, they're one of the best hotel chains. There loyalty program is a bit wonky (everything below the top tier is essentially worthless, and the top tier is extremely difficult to achieve considering there footprint), although the award chart is by far the most generous and useful. I'm genuinely surprised they haven't attempted to poach disgruntled members from this merger. On the other hand, while Hyatt does have some amazing properties (Miraval comes to mind), it's hard to compare there top end, to Marriott's. St Regis and the Ritz are generally better situated, nicer, and in more locations.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
On the other hand, while Hyatt does have some amazing properties (Miraval comes to mind), it's hard to compare there top end, to Marriott's. St Regis and the Ritz are generally better situated, nicer, and in more locations.
Park Hyatt is IMO, overall superior to RC, and on a similar level as SR, though with a completely different aesthetic (which I personally prefer).
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Hilton is very close to Marriott yes but I need a good brg program and Marriott is still superior on the brg part.
Hyatt is way off but their PH brand is very very nice. Their program sucks though.

I'll continue to stay with Marriott. After everything it can't get any worse than this. Right? ;-) looking forward to the new program/name whatever happens next year.
I still think Marriott needs a new fresh young ceo and get rid of those damn books of mormon. Also bring in coca cola. Let me choose what to drink between pepis and Coke. Keep both.
​​​​​​Who said spg members were rabid? The one Ceo Sorenson who wants to stick with middle age stuff. Marriott needs for sure a wake up call.

Last edited by joakgarp; Oct 11, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hyatt has about 1/10 the number of properties as Marriott. Because of its small footprint, it is very difficult to reach 60 (or even 55 or 50) Hyatt nights if your travel is not focused on cities with a Hyatt presence. And their mid-tier (Explorist, at 30 nights) is worthless.
This is definitely the main drawback with Hyatt. After not requalifying last year, I dropped down to Explorist and haven't used them once under that status as it does nothing for you. There is no way I would find enough properties where I would travel to want to stay 60 nights with Hyatt so they are really not an option. If they had similar benefits to the old Diamond status with 30 stays or close to it, that might be workable--but alas they don't offer much of anything to mid-tier qualifiers so if you are staying less the 60 nights a year, it is not worth the trouble and the added expense.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Park Hyatt is IMO, overall superior to RC, and on a similar level as SR, though with a completely different aesthetic (which I personally prefer).
I've never stayed at a Park, what would you say makes it better than RC?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by joakgarp
Hilton is very close to Marriott yes but I need a good brg program and Marriott is still superior on the brg part.
BRG is now joke. When you have accepted last time BRG claim ?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
I've never stayed at a Park, what would you say makes it better than RC?
Id say significantly better service and also higher quality less cookie cutter design and furnishings (also an aesthetic which is more to my taste - but thats subjective).
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:07 pm

Hilton is the best option for me. I've moved my stays to them. I'm disgusted at the way Marriott have handled all the problems.

I'm UK based, so earning Hyatt points is only possible through stays (no credit card options at all).

If Marriott ever give me all the points I'm due I'll burn my way through them and then I'm done.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

Id say significantly better service and also higher quality less cookie cutter design and furnishings (also an aesthetic which is more to my taste - but thats subjective).
I'll have to give them a shot at some point in the future. I find that a lot of RC's phone it in,although StR seems to be fantastic in general.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I've never liked Hyatt for a number of reasons... But the fact they are not offering status matches or a luxury card surprises me as now would be the time to take Marriott customers. And thry've poached many top execs.

I would try out their top tier if given chance as where I travel they have props quitr often.

But without status, I'll book Mandarin oriental, peninsula, Shangri-La over Hyatt.

Hilton seens nice with Aspire but doesn't have enoigh Conrads and Waldorfs where I travel
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Agree. Some truly spectacular converted properties in cities such as Milan, Vienna, and Buenos Aires. PH Zurich is by far the best major chain property in that city. And I believe PH Sydney is generally regarded as the city's best hotel (though I've never stayed there).

At RC, they often confuse obsequiousness with good service. Sticking an insincere "sir" at the end of every sentence does not convert poor service to good service.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I too have been looking more at Hyatt since encountering numerous problems with the program merger. The complete lack in Customer Service and transparency from MR has been the biggest issue for me and since I feel they are in denial about the issues I don't know how quickly those things are going to improve in the next couple of months.

I left Hyatt when they implemented WOH due to the smaller footprint making it difficult to qualify for top tier status and because I was pretty loyal to SPG. Right now Hyatt top tier status would still be a stretch for me but with the addition of the SLH portfolio it might become more attractive very quickly. Add to that some properties that fall under the Two Roads Hospitality acquisition and it might change the landscape for me in 2019.

As an aside, I personally do NOT get the constant focus on BRG by some people! Yes, I want the cheapest deal but some people seem to live on BRG claims!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.