Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What is fair compensation for such seriously awful Sheraton experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is fair compensation for such seriously awful Sheraton experience?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Angry What is fair compensation for such seriously awful Sheraton experience?

I had a seriously terrible stay experience with one of the property under Sheraton group last week in asia.

After workout in gym room, I went inside the lady gym bathroom for shower, there is no one inside there that moment. I placed my clothes on the bench, and just placed my shoes on the corridor.
During showering, I heard someone get inside, then I step out the shower room after bath, when I going to take my towel next to my clothes, I notice that the bathroom front door is way open, and there is a male staff standing inside the bathroom!! While I am naked!!
I have told him to leave while I rush back to the shower room, but he was still staying there for fixing the equipment inside the bathroom.

I reported to the hotel immediately, the room manager had came to me for apologize, and promise will educate their staff for the normal standard like "send a female staff inside the lay bathroom first", "knocking and ask if any guests inside".....
Then after I finished the survey online for compliant this seriously issue , the GM email me to offer refund my entire stay (2 nights, around US$120/night) as compensation, and thats all...
I would like to ask what is the fair compensation for this horrible mistake made by their staff.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:41 am

If I were you I would not settle for less than six digits...
pitflyer, bbbb, avja and 8 others like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Question - if you're staying at the hotel, why didn't you shower in your room?
Franky16 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catocony
Question - if you're staying at the hotel, why didn't you shower in your room?
There is sauna facility inside gym bathroom, thats why i prefer use the gym one but not my room.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I think the offer the hotel made is fair.
I mean he just saw you naked for a second or two.
bbbb, seanp7, cfischer and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Consider any remedy you may have for invasion of privacy would be under the law of that country ...

Can you identify the property so the rest of us know about this issue?
stephaniemei likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stephaniemei
I would like to ask what is the fair compensation for this horrible mistake made by their staff.
Fair compensation probably would have been an apology and a few thousand Marriott points or perhaps a comped meal.

Generous compensation would have been to refund your entire stay.

Sounds like this hotel was pretty generous. Good for them. If the situation with the maintenance person can be fixed with some type of procedural change, hopefully they'll do that.

I'd like to know the name of the hotel - it sounds like they are very responsive to even the most minor complaints and probably take care of their guests quite well. ^
bbbb, karenkay, ksu and 23 others like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pinniped
Sounds like this hotel was pretty generous. Good for them. If the situation with the maintenance person can be fixed with some type of procedural change, hopefully they'll do that.
Agree.

Not sure what else OP thinks would be appropriate.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy
I think you have already received very generous compensation. Be grateful that you didn't even have to"fight" for it.
avja, kennycrudup, Newman and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Complete refund of nights stayed is a very nice offer.
BearX220, bbbb, avja and 10 others like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:06 am

One meeeeeeeeeelion points.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by fotographer
Complete refund of nights stayed is a very nice offer.
this. sorry for your experience, OP, i wouldn't be happy either, but the refund of the price paid is a very fair resolution, imho.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I agree with most of the other comments.
The hotel was extremely generous apologizing and comping your entire stay.
And I hereby invite any Marriott/Sheraton/Ritz (or any of the 29 Marriott brands) staff member that wants to view either me or my better half, Mrs. Newman, naked for 2 seconds in exchange for a free 2-night stay to PM me. I'll take that deal any day, any time. The offer is for either one of us or both of us.
Makes no difference.

And if this staff member accidentally seeing you naked for a second or two is the only negative thing that happened to you in your 2-day stay,, then you did NOT have a "seriously terrible stay experience". A seriously terrible experience would be i.e. getting food poisoning from the hotel restaurant, or coming back to your room and finding your valuables have been stolen, or getting stuck in the hotel elevator for a few hours, etc......

Sounds to me like the OP got the deal of the decade.
If I were the general manager I would have given you an apology and a $25.00 food/beverage credit. Or perhaps, as another poster suggested, a few thousand Marriott rewards points for your 2 second inconvenience. NOTHING MORE.

What do you want? Stock ownership?

Newman

Last edited by Newman; Oct 1, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all sincere reply here. Then I should be happy for this compensation I think, if it is the best offer that you all think the generous compensation.

But I have to be clear that I am not mad about been seeing naked ( i do feel bad with it / him for sure), of-course i do know he didnt meant to be. But only about the service standard. I thought no ever a BNB homestay will made these kind of mistake. it is avout how the hotel to train their staff.
polinka and JamesLoughney like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
From what you have said once you drew this to the hotels attention they apologies and didn;t try to fob you off. Further more when this came over the GM's desk via the survey they proactively contacted you and offered you a refund. While someone in the hotel made a mistake I would actually say this is excellent customer service by the hotel and a very fair offer indeed.

Could you maybe let us know which country this was in as also the practice of male / female staff going into toilets and changing rooms varies from around the world and how it is viewed, it would allow more perspective on the situation for us FT members.
ksu, Newman, polinka and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.