Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What is fair compensation for such seriously awful Sheraton experience?

What is fair compensation for such seriously awful Sheraton experience?

Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by swingaling
Really poor form for a male staff member to enter the ladies showers without checking to see if it's occupied first. Especially in Asia, where it's the norm for folks to generally walk around nude in locker rooms.

That said, getting the stay comped is pretty fair imo.
A lot of things could have happened to lead to this. The staff member could have announced himself and she didn't hear over the shower/sauna, he could have not announced etc. Totally fair compensation .
pitflyer and DCBob like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
Could you maybe let us know which country this was in as also the practice of male / female staff going into toilets and changing rooms varies from around the world and how it is viewed, it would allow more perspective on the situation for us FT members.
Good question,
In Thailand for example is is quite common for service employees of the opposite sex to enter occupied restrooms/locker rooms to clean up re-stock paper soap etc.
DCBob and Newman like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: united airlines
That reply may have been pointless, but minimally, if at all nasty. I expected that someone in the course of this thread would suggest pegging the compensation to the pulchritude of the maintenance guy's cheap thrill.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
A maintenance guy has a work order to fix something in a locker room. He goes in, leaves the door open, and works on whatever he's been assigned. He presumably wasn't menacing, as he would not have left the door open if he were. He may or not speak the language the OP was using, or if it was English, may not have understood her as her written English is poor so her spoken English might be rough. He might not have known what her problem is, as she left her clothes out instead of putting them in a locker, and for whatever reason left her towel on a bench instead of taking it to the shower area. From her own description, she was behaving more oddly than the maintenance guy was.

Last edited by catocony; Oct 1, 2018 at 11:39 pm
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by rebadc
Good question,
In Thailand for example is is quite common for service employees of the opposite sex to enter occupied restrooms/locker rooms to clean up re-stock paper soap etc.
From my experience in Thailand, they don't even bat an eye. If you're taking a leak or on the crapper, the cleaning lady will walk on in and not think twice about it. They don't leave the door open, they don't knock, they don't stick a head in and look around. They open the door, bring in their stuff and start cleaning, or replacing paper towels or toilet paper, or whatever.
DCBob likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Unfortunately, every FT thread needs one pointless, nasty attack on the OP, and here it is.
Kacee, you've attacked me in threads multiple times over the years. With that in mind, what's your point? The OP asked for feedback, so I gave it.
DCBob and Newman like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Full Refund Was Fair

You received a full refund because a staff member was repairing the facilities and noticed you in the nude? That's more than fair. Be grateful the hotel took immediate action and move on with your life. You're very lucky that you had a choice of bathrooms yet refused to use the private one in your room. There are many poor people in Asia who would love to travel and stay in a beautiful hotel like you did.
Newman likes this.

Last edited by DCBob; Oct 2, 2018 at 12:38 am
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:29 am
Suspended

Here is a similar experience at another hotel in San Francisco (not Sheraton group). I was alone and naked in my room, a male guest open my room door with his key!! He saw me and immediately closed my door and left. Obviously the front desk messed up. The hotel compensated me the equivalent of one night stay (I stayed there for one week). Nothing bad happened to me, I accepted the compensation and moved on with my life.
Had I been assaulted, it would be a different story involving millions of dollars.

Last edited by Mama; Oct 2, 2018 at 2:49 am
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:10 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
This is compensatable?

The world has gone nuts, if it was my business I wouldn’t give you a freebie on the back of a staff member having walked in on you in a PUBLIC changing room.

Frankly I feel sympathy for the staff member that probably got chewed out over the dramatics resulting from this non-incident.

Newman likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
All this 'I was alone and vulnerable' nonsense just to add to the drama. How are staff meant to know how many people are in a public room.

Being groped in the privates by a rogue airport security official is far more of a violation than this.
Newman likes this.

Last edited by Saint4805; Oct 2, 2018 at 3:50 am
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I have had several housekeepers walk in and see me in my room before it after shower until I learned to latch door when in room. They Never knocked and waited...just did knock and enter.

I complained each time. Got apologies of some some but never comp. Actually Grand Hyatt HK acted as if I was the problem. Haven't stayed at that GH since and combined with other bad Hyatt stays (Guangzhou horrible) never stay at Hyatt unless forced.

In this case, OP is wronged. Deservs compensation. Free stay more than would be expected. A dinner would be enough frankly.

Would like to know which property as clearly they good at CS.

I might leave door unlatched there!

6 digits... If Indonesian Rupiah!
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by catocony
Question - if you're staying at the hotel, why didn't you shower in your room?
Sounds like victim blaming to me! Would you also ask a rape victim why her skirt was so short?

OP, I believe the hotel owed you compensation, and what was offered was more than adequate. Move on.
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and HollyGlen like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Sounds like victim blaming to me! Would you also ask a rape victim why her skirt was so short?

OP, I believe the hotel owed you compensation, and what was offered was more than adequate. Move on.
I agree, you have to pay special attention to a ladies changing room, since it is more likely to be perceived as a threatening experience. I being a dude probably can't really recognize this fully. If you would have clearly communicated that said repairs would be done during this time at least people could have made arrangements like shower in the room etc. That seems to be a miss from management, anyway fair compensation.
Nudeness is cultural dependent of course in Germany its standard that men and women share sauna in Japanese onsen people are nude, however running a hotel the least common denominator must always be the norm, i.e assume nudeness is a very private matter.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Saint4805
All this 'I was alone and vulnerable' nonsense just to add to the drama.
Originally Posted by catocony
She got a couple of nights comped for a very minor incident which didn't harm her in any way.
ITT: a bunch of men making light of a woman's physical privacy violation. Not a good look, gentlemen. I suggest that OP is singularly equipped to decide if she was "harmed."
karenkay, wrp96, Kacee and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Why on earth do people make a complaint about a hotel , post here and not say which hotel ! Happens all the time and it baffles me !
Newman likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.