Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott CEO Asks Unhappy Members To Hold Tight, Platform Is Stabilized

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott CEO Asks Unhappy Members To Hold Tight, Platform Is Stabilized

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
I can report a really weird anomali, when I canceled a points booking made at legacy marriot brand the points refunded back into my account balance however it did not show up in my activity window. What showed in my activity window was nine random sized credit (9 points to 1283) attributed to China Eastern and Emirates bonus... and no these random credits did not add up to the points that I was supposed to get back and no I have not taken any EK or MU flight this year... My overall balance reflects the correct amount though.....I have a combined account since the 19th of August..... Stranger Things....

​​​​​
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Aha! I have the Emirates/ China Eastern stuff too. I have no way to reconcile them back to what points I should have, but it’s probably about 7,000 points worth in total.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by X-ON
I can report a really weird anomali, when I canceled a points booking made at legacy marriot brand the points refunded back into my account balance however it did not show up in my activity window. What showed in my activity window was nine random sized credit (9 points to 1283) attributed to China Eastern and Emirates bonus... and no these random credits did not add up to the points that I was supposed to get back and no I have not taken any EK or MU flight this year... My overall balance reflects the correct amount though.....I have a combined account since the 19th of August..... Stranger Things....

​​​​​
When you a cancel a points reservation Marriott’s IT doesn’t credit the points back through a specific new line item posting. Instead they modify the original reservation’s posting from “ordered” and number of points deducted to “cancelled” and 0 points.

The china and emirates several postings are due to a batch of miles transfers to the airlines related to all your hotel stays since the merger. Since Marriott hadn’t been crediting stays to the crossover airline programs, they apparently did it all in one sweep on October 27.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier

When you a cancel a points reservation Marriott’s IT doesn’t credit the points back through a specific new line item posting. Instead they modify the original reservation’s posting from “ordered” and number of points deducted to “cancelled” and 0 points.

The china and emirates several postings are due to a batch of miles transfers to the airlines related to all your hotel stays since the merger. Since Marriott hadn’t been crediting stays to the crossover airline programs, they apparently did it all in one sweep on October 27.
Ok, but I still do not get the EK and MU bonus points if I have not taken any flights with said airlines in the last 2 years . The miles was credited to my MAR account as Bonus points I did not transfer any miles ....Ergo another illustration of the Mickey Mouse IT department at MAR

Last edited by X-ON; Oct 28, 2018 at 5:43 am
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by X-ON
Ok, but I still do not get the EK and MU bonus points if I have not taken any flights with said airlines in the last 2 years . The miles was credited to my account I did not transfer any miles ....Ergo another illustration of the Mickey Mouse IT department at MAR
Those are miles being transferred out of your account to your FF account because you are registered with the crossover program with those airlines. You earned those FF miles not because you flew with them but because you stayed with Marriott. In the event you are not elite with EK or china, the airline will reject those miles transfers. These miles are not deducted from your account as they are bonus miles (notice the activity posted as miles instead of as points). In order to transfer the miles MR first has to credit them to your account.

These transfers used to go behind the scenes with SPG, now MR posts it to your activity log.

So no Mickey Mouse IT in action over here, just your ignorance...
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: Delta, United, Hilton, SPG/Marriott, Enterprise, Alamo and many others
Countless hours lost working on this

Id like to start off by stating I have lost countless hours holding for CS to get to my call, explaining the issues with multiple CS Reps, having to call back for the same unresolved issues and hearing so many promises from CS that I will get a response from an internal department ... Which never happened. My SPG app/site access works well enough that I can deal for awhile.

FYI... Seems like Groups/Room Blocks are not integrated yet. I did have to contact group reservations at a particular property to book a room for a wedding and none for the reservation details show online or in app so i call the property weekly to make sure I still have a room in the block and it's under my name. Ill deal with getting the appropriate points allocated after the event.

So back to the topic at hand... I've been through this before... Whenever there is consolidation... First the airlines, next the car rental companies and now hotels. It is an endless game of trying to reward companies that value me as a customer... Ones that show it by being accessible, responsive and provide value that meet my needs. They show their appreciation through a loyalty program that is straight forward, consistant, dont try to rip me off and have well trained employees at every touch point with the brand. We VALUE each other! But it only lasts so long! They all did it to us... Delta, United, Kimpton, Enterprise, etc.

So to keep my sanity over the last few years ive decided to focus on the top 2 brands in each catagory that meet most of my needs, provide ease of accruing free flights, nights or rentals and treat me like a human being. I work my status of the top 2 brands in parallel to a desired level and try to keep them active. I then submit Status Match Requests for other brands that I may need as back up without having to spend my money to reward poor performing brands with bad service and lack a focus on quality.

My game plan: Focus my dollars on brands that appreciate me and take advantage of the brands who have to give away STATUS for free to keep up!

When Kimpton arrived on the scene I was fiercely loyal and willing to pay a premium over other brands to stay at a Kimpton property. Kimpton sold out to IHG and the program, level of service and quality suffered. SPG saw the opportunity and quickly filled the gap, as close it could, and I've been fiercely loyal to SPG based on our mutual VALUE for each other. When SPG/Marriott announcement hit I didnt even bother wishing and hoping for this or that ... The writing was on the wall and another great brand would systematically be dismantled.

Hilton has been my tried and true number 2 brand and I will stick out the rest of 2018 with whatever I can achieve with SPG/MAR. In mid December 2018 I will look at who is offering Match Status with Hilton and SPG/MAR, submit my requests and see who will take the open Hotel Loyalty program number 2 spot...and move on.

Im doing this with Delta and United and unsure who will get dropped but American is the contender. Fortunately I dont have to sleep, shower and eat on a plane so I can put up with a little more crap from them than the hotels. Although I have been driving longer distances, up to 8hrs, to avoid flying these days. I hope I dont have to start pulling a small pop-up 5th wheel to sleep in at night... Lol!!!

I hope this strategy helps some of you, eleveates stress for others and make us all realize that a company's bottomline is based on our dollars... We Are The Customer and their revenue is dependent on providing value, service and appreciation that we chose to spend with their brand. We have choices and others are willing to steal, bribe, pay, romance and even lie to us to get our business. Take advantage of them as they do of us!!!
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually what I saw now is the original booking activity is deleted as if it has never happened. Then there is a line showed up for cancellation with 0 pts but the biggest issue is, it does not tell you WHAT the cancellation is for - the ONLY identification you may have, is the DATE you did the cancellation, instead of the dates of stay you canceled the reservation for - to me, this IS MICKY MOUSE IT. Because it should let the customer know that exactly which reservation the customer canceled. Many of us would have multiple reservations at any given time. If a plan change has affected MULTIPLE reservations and they are all canceled at the time same when the customer sat down to do the cancellations all at one go - there is NO WAY the customer can tell exactly which reservations these cancellations are related to when the customer looks back in just a week later...

Even IHG which IT has long been a joke of the industry, now would tell you EXACTLY what the canceled reservation is for, and have the points refund showing up in the activities - THAT my friend, would be the CORRECT Accounting Entries to allow reconciliation. Marriott IT needs a leader who process some basic business knowledge on how things should be done, especially when it comes to Audit Trails. Right now, the way I see it is, the IT dept is very lack of any business sense, hence we saw so many errors that should never happened, happen. One of the root issue is, there is no accounting trail on activities, therefore it is near impossible for a customer to reconcile the account. True, the account balance is correct, i.e. reflected the changes, but most customers do NOT keep close track of their account balances other than relying on the activity details to make sure things are added / subtracted correctly. Right now, there is no such trail to facilitate this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Actually what I saw now is the original booking activity is deleted as if it has never happened. Then there is a line showed up for cancellation with 0 pts but the biggest issue is, it does not tell you WHAT the cancellation is for - the ONLY identification you may have, is the DATE you did the cancellation, instead of the dates of stay you canceled the reservation for - to me, this IS MICKY MOUSE IT. Because it should let the customer know that exactly which reservation the customer canceled. Many of us would have multiple reservations at any given time. If a plan change has affected MULTIPLE reservations and they are all canceled at the time same when the customer sat down to do the cancellations all at one go - there is NO WAY the customer can tell exactly which reservations these cancellations are related to when the customer looks back in just a week later...

Even IHG which IT has long been a joke of the industry, now would tell you EXACTLY what the canceled reservation is for, and have the points refund showing up in the activities - THAT my friend, would be the CORRECT Accounting Entries to allow reconciliation. Marriott IT needs a leader who process some basic business knowledge on how things should be done, especially when it comes to Audit Trails. Right now, the way I see it is, the IT dept is very lack of any business sense, hence we saw so many errors that should never happened, happen. One of the root issue is, there is no accounting trail on activities, therefore it is near impossible for a customer to reconcile the account. True, the account balance is correct, i.e. reflected the changes, but most customers do NOT keep close track of their account balances other than relying on the activity details to make sure things are added / subtracted correctly. Right now, there is no such trail to facilitate this.
What you are describing is your lack of familiarity with Marriott’s IT systems. I’m not saying they’re perfect but they definitely do not have the problems you are ascribing to them. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the new website and app, go at it easy, do not jump to hasty conclusions and listen to other peoples’ feedback and suggestions. Your experience will be optimized.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
What you are describing is your lack of familiarity with Marriott’s IT systems. I’m not saying they’re perfect but they definitely do not have the problems you are ascribing to them. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the new website and app, go at it easy, do not jump to hasty conclusions and listen to other peoples’ feedback and suggestions. Your experience will be optimized.
Starwood's IT wasn't perfect, site outages just like any other site out there on occasion, but it was flexible and robust

Marriott IT is a straight dumpster fire, and even when it may technically be functioning, is a massive downgrade in transparency and functionality
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:55 am

Those are miles being transferred out of your account to your FF account because you are registered with the crossover program with those airlines. You earned those FF miles not because you flew with them but because you stayed with Marriott. In the event you are not elite with EK or china, the airline will reject those miles transfers. These miles are not deducted from your account as they are bonus miles (notice the activity posted as miles instead of as points). In order to transfer the miles MR first has to credit them to your account.

These transfers used to go behind the scenes with SPG, now MR posts it to your activity log.

So no Mickey Mouse IT in action over here, just your ignorance...
What a great and well thought through definition of an activity log of an account. An activity log which include credits to another account ... which of course deviates from the well establish practice how you normally track changes to an account balance .... if they really wanted to contaminate the activity log they should at least refer to it as miles instead of points .... crystal clear
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
They have finally started crediting the Plat bonuses at (at least some) ex-SPG properties. However, I still have a big stash of missing ones from previous stays.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure how I can optimize my experiences when I have not received an email confirmation 6 hours after it is cancelled online. I am on a trip and don't have the means to contact either Marriott CS or the property to make sure the cancellation has gone thru the system,especially this is a 4P that has already "migrated" to Marriott platform after I booked it several weeks ago when being sent to SPG platform to do the booking. I notice Mariott has a message atop the reservation that "your reservation now has a new number", presumably it is converted to Marriott reservation system. Yet, when I cancelled it online, the final screen showed the old reservation number. Because I was not able to take a screen shot due to using the computer at a Marriott hotel's lounge as the iPad wifi connection was unstable,I have no other option but to print out the screen in paper form to make sure I have a record.

Inthe he past we can email SPG properties when the needs arise. Marriott chose to NOT provide email contact for the properties and promptly removed email address of all SPG properties long before the merger date. I don't know how this can enhance customer services other than Marriott wants to make it is its way or the highway for the customers because now it feels it has the critical mass so customers have much fewer choices to not use aMarriott property.

I am not going to spend my time / cost to contact the Marriott CS or the property to make sure the cancellation is sent to the hotel now I have printed a hard copy of the cancellation. But things should and can be handled better if Marriott IT has gotten its act together.

Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
We should rename this thread, "Misery Loves Company"...or better yet, "Misery Hates Company."

Anyway, I'm not sure whether there are any solutions here, but thought I'd post one of my (many) IT integration issues in case anyone has any solutions or suggestions. I'd welcome help, since I'm reluctant to try combining accounts until this is all sorted out.

The issue:

When I try logging into my Marriott account, I can't do it with my Marriott account number, but can with my email address (plus my Marriott password).

When I try logging in to my SPG account, I can do it with either my Marriott account number or email address (plus my SPG but not Marriott password).

Any way to try to fix this? As I said, I'm reluctant to combine accounts until glitches such as this are remedied.

Thanks for any advice.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Have you confirmed your MR account number after you've logged into your MR account? I've read some posts where the MR needed to be changed as part of the merge in August.Again, can you confirm the account number is proper once you get logged in? If the accounts have not been combined you should not be able to access your SPG data with MR account number.
It really sounds like your accounts have been combined. Since the merge in August they do present different pages to log in, but they are the same database. So going to the SPG page and entering your MR credentials will work and vice versa. Once your accounts are combined, this is still the case. When your login fails what is given as the cause. I have combined my accounts and when I try to access using my old MR credentials i am told the account has been combined.
Thanks very much for trying to help with this. Yes, I can confirm my MR account after logging in - and in fact it's a new account number that Marriott assigned to me at some point in recent months.

I'm pretty sure the accounts haven't been combined as my point totals and stays are still different for the two accounts. Plus, I keep getting reminders to combine the two.

I have a rather complicated trip coming up with a few different SPG stays, so I think I'll hold off on trying to combine the accounts and otherwise sorting this out until after I get back. I don't want to muddy the waters further at this point.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

Not sure how I can optimize my experiences when I have not received an email confirmation 6 hours after it is cancelled online. I am on a trip and don't have the means to contact either Marriott CS or the property to make sure the cancellation has gone thru the system,especially this is a 4P that has already "migrated" to Marriott platform after I booked it several weeks ago when being sent to SPG platform to do the booking. I notice Mariott has a message atop the reservation that "your reservation now has a new number", presumably it is converted to Marriott reservation system. Yet, when I cancelled it online, the final screen showed the old reservation number. Because I was not able to take a screen shot due to using the computer at a Marriott hotel's lounge as the iPad wifi connection was unstable,I have no other option but to print out the screen in paper form to make sure I have a record.

Inthe he past we can email SPG properties when the needs arise. Marriott chose to NOT provide email contact for the properties and promptly removed email address of all SPG properties long before the merger date. I don't know how this can enhance customer services other than Marriott wants to make it is its way or the highway for the customers because now it feels it has the critical mass so customers have much fewer choices to not use aMarriott property.

I am not going to spend my time / cost to contact the Marriott CS or the property to make sure the cancellation is sent to the hotel now I have printed a hard copy of the cancellation. But things should and can be handled better if Marriott IT has gotten its act together.

All you mention on this last post has nothing to do with what you complained on your previous post — i.e. not having your refunded points posting to your activity log after cancelling an award reservation.

Apparently you only want to vent your anger against Marriott for any reason whatsoever. Fine by me. Enjoy.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

All you mention on this last post has nothing to do with what you complained on your previous post — i.e. not having your refunded points posting to your activity log after cancelling an award reservation.

Apparently you only want to vent your anger against Marriott for any reason whatsoever. Fine by me. Enjoy.
Marriott is such a moving target you can find something wrong just about any given day. If you're happy with what's going on with your account, that's great, enjoy.

I do not wait until I need to book a room before looking at what's available, but like to look to see if there is a good deal available.
I don't care if it took them about six weeks to get the right number of LT nights on my account because I expected it to get worked out. Would have been nice if they did it right the first time.
It didn't bother me that they would not allow me to merge my MR data to my SPG data because I found a workaround in the Wiki on FT.
I don't care if they are having issues with posting stays since I'm not booking any trips right at the moment, but wouldn't it be nice if you don't have to wait or chase things down?

I can go on, but I don't spend my day looking for issues, but then I also do not dismiss the problems others are seeing just because I don't see them too. We each get to choose where our pain threshold lies and what action is appropriate, beit post a complaint on FT to vent, or persue resolution with a basically dysfunctional support team, OR take our business elsewhere. And of course, do nothing and go on with life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.