Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott CEO Asks Unhappy Members To Hold Tight, Platform Is Stabilized

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott CEO Asks Unhappy Members To Hold Tight, Platform Is Stabilized

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I suspect that the question was more why you were asking someone on a frequent traveller forum on the topic of its loyalty scheme as if you wanted to know why they weren’t instead into interpretive art or yoga as a form of meditation.
Of course we all have other things to worry about in life, but until 2 months ago and from an honest reading of the post merger T&C’s the merged programme offered frequent hotel guests 5-digits of hard cash benefits and soft benefits for a significant portion of their annual nights asleep. It does not seem at all unreasonable for people to identify huge gaping holes in this proposition on a website specifically about the programme - and indeed pretty tone deaf to seek to denigrate people for doing so.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I suspect that the question was more why you were asking someone on a frequent traveller forum on the topic of its loyalty scheme as if you wanted to know why they weren’t instead into interpretive art or yoga as a form of meditation.
Of course we all have other things to worry about in life, but until 2 months ago and from an honest reading of the post merger T&C’s the merged programme offered frequent hotel guests 5-digits of hard cash benefits and soft benefits for a significant portion of their annual nights asleep. It does not seem at all unreasonable for people to identify huge gaping holes in this proposition on a website specifically about the programme - and indeed pretty tone deaf to seek to denigrate people for doing so.
The poster in question here freely admits that their status is derived not from doing a lot of business with Marriott, but rather from one of the credit cards they happen to hold. Thus, it's likely pretty inconsequential to them what happens with the program one way or the other (as evidenced by the remark reducing the whole thing down to a free breakfast - something many of us care little, if anything, at all about).
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
For those of us who spend 1/2 the year in a hotel... And have spent 6 and perhaps 7 USD digits in a hotel program out of own pockets, then yes it matters.

If the ceiling of your main home kept collapsing and the repairmen, electricians made life harder for you for months on end and you could only reach them by fax, how would you feel?

My app today has switched to only showing Marriott reservation phone numbers from US. It took me 20 mins to even figure out how to call Marriott from the country I am in... When I did answering machine said office hours were from 9am to 6 weekdays.

I didn't realize hotels close at night or weekends. I have sent dozens of emails to Marriott in last month for stupid stuff.

I don't think I sent more than 2-3 emails total to SPG in last 5 years combined.

This is more than just staying in a hotel a few nights a year through credit card status... This is like a second or third or fourth home for many of us.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by scubadu
Serious question, have you considered a life without pursuing hotel status? You know, just stay where you want?

My question is genuine. I'm beginning to find the obsession with hotel elite status a bit bizarre to be honest. There is more to life than "free" breakfast.

Regards
I do 20-30 long distance trips per year. I've become used to a certain standard. Yes, I could start booking Air BnBs but I will leave those for you. What next? Are you going to suggest that I start flying economy to Europe and Asia because that's what you like?

I was recently upgraded to a Fairmont penthouse suite (1500 sq ft with 5 balconies, sauna, BBQ) for the 5th or 6th time. It never gets old!
C17PSGR and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by margarita girl; Oct 8, 2018 at 6:45 pm
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Well, as I said, the spirit of my question was sincere, but I guess you didn't take it as such. Fair enough. But I'll respond to your questions/comments.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I do 20-30 long distance trips per year.
You might find this difficult to believe, but countless numbers of people do that number of trips a year without top tier hotel status. Some of those people stay in quite nice places.

I've become used to a certain standard.
And what "standard," relative to Marriott, would that be, specifically?

Yes, I could start booking Air BnBs but I will leave those for you.
I don't believe I said anything at all about "Air BnBs" (though there are plenty of amazing rentals in this world). Nor did I make any recommendation at all regarding where you should stay, merely asking the question as whether it's perhaps time, given your daily frustration, to question the value proposition of Marriott status chasing.

What next? Are you going to suggest that I start flying economy to Europe and Asia because that's what you like?
First, who in the world said I "like flying economy to Europe and Asia?" You know absolutely nothing about me (or my financial means). I was actually asking you a sincere question regarding your necessity/motivation for pursuing this status. Many on FT are questioning "loyalty." Now, given the tone of your reply, to put it bluntly, I really don't give a crap what you do next.

Regards
hipquest likes this.

Last edited by scubadu; Oct 8, 2018 at 7:26 pm
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
This is a fair point. Yes, FT is a frequent traveler forum. However, that doesn't mean that every participant subscribes to blind loyalty when the "playing field" has clearly changed. At some point, folks should be questioning what this game has become and not just continue to feel they are a victim . In a free market economy, people should vote with their wallet. If people are not legitimately willing to take their business elsewhere, then really they have no one to blame than themselves if they feel taken advantage of or screwed over by a corporate "loyalty" scheme.

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Oct 8, 2018 at 7:14 pm
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP
For those of us who spend 1/2 the year in a hotel... And have spent 6 and perhaps 7 USD digits in a hotel program out of own pockets, then yes it matters.

If the ceiling of your main home kept collapsing and the repairmen, electricians made life harder for you for months on end and you could only reach them by fax, how would you feel?

My app today has switched to only showing Marriott reservation phone numbers from US. It took me 20 mins to even figure out how to call Marriott from the country I am in... When I did answering machine said office hours were from 9am to 6 weekdays.

I didn't realize hotels close at night or weekends. I have sent dozens of emails to Marriott in last month for stupid stuff.

I don't think I sent more than 2-3 emails total to SPG in last 5 years combined.

This is more than just staying in a hotel a few nights a year through credit card status... This is like a second or third or fourth home for many of us.
I wonder if you actually understand the analogy that you used, because it doesn't make your case all that well. But here is my shocking answer to your question; if my repairman and electricians were constantly screwing up, delivering shoddy work, and not providing the level of service I expected or was paying for, amazingly... I would... wait for it... FIRE them and hire service people that did what I needed them to do. Perhaps you would like another at bat?

My wife travels for business plenty (3 of 4 weeks this month). She is currently platinum, but honestly she could care less about it and wouldn't do anything abnormal to maintain it.

Regards
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
The poster in question here freely admits that their status is derived not from doing a lot of business with Marriott, but rather from one of the credit cards they happen to hold. Thus, it's likely pretty inconsequential to them what happens with the program one way or the other (as evidenced by the remark reducing the whole thing down to a free breakfast - something many of us care little, if anything, at all about).
As mentioned in another reply, my wife does have Platinum (fully earned via stayed nights, no credit card "nights"). She travels a great deal on business. Is that occasionally nice? Sure it is. But is it worth tying oneself in knots and doing all the gnashing of teeth and tearing of clothes going on in this forum? Yea, no not so much. I probably care more about status for her than she cares about it (and she is the road warrior). But neither of us would let it drive us crazy as seems to be the case for many here.

Regards
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:25 pm

I don't want to succumb to nastiness so I'll be brief and end with this post as you have swung out without realizing you whiffed.

I would fire the repairmen which is why many of us are thinking about firing Marriott or using them less. They are not doing their job.

And I am not sure whether you wife is is legacy spg or Marriott plat, but there is concern
​​​​​ (sonetimes unwarranted) about a reduction of plat benefits under Marriott which has a dofferent culture.

​​​​​no poibt screaming over this a Marriott won and has been very fair to plat so far. I am compl
aning about basic stuff like being able to book a room on an app!

And your wife might ot be staying in properties or locations/ continents where plat matters... Like that upgrade i got from $600 usd a night suite to $3000 usd a night villa on the beach last christmas for a Luxury Collection for 6 nights. Or similar upgrade to $3500 USD a night OWV over a $500 USD a night suite at a St Regis for 11 night.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by scubadu
As mentioned in another reply, my wife does have Platinum (fully earned via stayed nights, no credit card "nights"). She travels a great deal on business. Is that occasionally nice? Sure it is. But is it worth tying oneself in knots and doing all the gnashing of teeth and tearing of clothes going on in this forum? Yea, no not so much. I probably care more about status for her than she cares about it (and she is the road warrior). But neither of us would let it drive us crazy as seems to be the case for many here.

Regards
But you've once again reiterated the fact that you, personally, have little - indirect at best - skin in this game, no? You haven't personally put the years and hundreds if not thousands of nights in yourself. Probably the vast majority of the folks posting here fall into a different category.

Having said that, your point that voting with dollars and feet often being the best remedy is well taken. Many here have posted that they're doing just that - and likely hope that in some small way they're adding their voices to a message to Marriott (plenty of influential bloggers and even occasionally legitimate reporters do tap into FT). This isn't as counterproductive as you seem to have judged it to be. And since you have repeatedly and emphatically staked out your position that you and your wife just. don't. care., I fail to see the point of your sustained traffic on the topic? Are you a supposed Life Coach or something along that line?
EuropeanPete and UA-NYC like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I just saw this article from the NY Times. I found this quote at the end of the article interesting.

While there were scattered claims across social media and on frequent-traveler message boards of rooms and affiliated credit cards being canceled out of frustration, conversations with hotel owners indicate that these threats are not being carried out on a wide scale, said Michael Bellisario, a vice president and senior analyst at Robert W. Baird & Company, a financial services company that buys and sells Marriott stock.

“So far, no one’s seen a material change in direct bookings,” he said, adding that he didn’t anticipate mass defections. “You get used to certain perks. No one likes change. I feel like there’s always that initial grumble factor.”
Marriott’s Merger of Hotel Rewards Programs Tests Members’ Loyalty
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by jeanie
I just saw this article from the NY Times. I found this quote at the end of the article interesting.

Marriott’s Merger of Hotel Rewards Programs Tests Members’ Loyalty

Interesting article. In some ways, its good to see how the outside world of ordinary travelers sees this. From my view, the account combination as someone with a complicated account with 125-150 nights a year has been complete for 3-4 weeks now so they seem to suggest all is well.

On the other hand, it feeds the theme that SPG members are disgruntled and integration of accounts is all there is to it. In reality, the reservation system is a mess and some hotels are ignoring or confused regarding program benefits. Obviously, the reporter doesn't travel much or, if so, make her own reservations. As for the analyst, he can't be receiving any numbers Marriott hasn't otherwise released so I question whether he has any material information regarding reservations. The 10Q will be out this month so we'll see.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Oct 8, 2018 at 9:33 pm
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:14 pm

Every property I have been to has been packed witj guests and with staff unaware of technical issues... But many of these bookings were made pre Aug 18 or in early days when we were still patient and gave benefit of doubt.
​​​
my guess is people will give 3 maybe 6 months of leeway. Marriott is probably hoping for reasons in article that everything will been fixed and retention still high.

It would been q1 maybe even q2 that defections become apparent .

​​Most are not like many of us.. Lifetimes... So they still stuck chasing tiers. Hard to switch in year 7 or 8.

But my spending is way down this year. I think i night have used poibts for 50 night are so just in case... And stayed more at conrad, shangri la and penibsula than in previous year.

That said my net night at Marriott night have gone up at i am staying at Marriott whete there previouspy wete not starwood choices...
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by SHLTP

my guess is people will give 3 maybe 6 months of leeway. Marriott is probably hoping for reasons in article that everything will been fixed and retention still high.

It would been q1 maybe even q2 that defections become apparent .
I don't think the 8/18 problems will have an impact six months out but I think they will be a problem until they get the reservation systems fixed which I assume they will do so this year ....

The bigger issues will be if Marriott can get its hundreds -- perhaps thousands -- of franchisees to follow program rules.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Interesting article. In some ways, its good to see how the outside world of ordinary travelers sees this. From my view, the account combination as someone with a complicated account with 125-150 nights a year has been complete for 3-4 weeks now so they seem to suggest all is well.

On the other hand, it feeds the theme that SPG members are disgruntled and integration of accounts is all there is to it. In reality, the reservation system is a mess and some hotels are ignoring or confused regarding program benefits. Obviously, the reporter doesn't travel much or, if so, make her own reservations. As for the analyst, he can't be receiving any numbers Marriott hasn't otherwise released so I question whether he has any material information regarding reservations. The 10Q will be out this month so we'll see.
I think Marriott got a pass from the NY Times on this as I know they and other traditional media outlets have been hearing a lot from angry former SPG members but clearly the Marriott PR spin machine is in full swing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.