Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott not a "FedRooms" provider

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by govflyer
Our software now flags when a Fedroom is not used and requires an explanation. In addition a memo just went out saying that leadership will be now approving travel in addition to our immediate supervisor. In that memo it said we had to use a FedRoom and listed the advantages in doing so.
I’ve never had trouble not using a fedrooms property when I can find a property that is closer to where I need to be that is at or less than the per diem rate.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I'm curious about how your agency will be enforcing this new edict. Especially since my agency hasn't implemented the same.

If you have the option of booking a Marriott hotel at the same per-diem price as a FedRooms hotel what can your agency do about it? IMO it would be difficult to justify denying reimbursement when the cost is the same.

P.S. I'd like the last two thirds of my FT handle back please...
There are lots of reasons why they want to go this route. Even some non-gov rates (i.e. corporate) are monitored by both the chain and the company to see if they can negotiate a better rate or bake in some extra benefits. One we would get at particular heavily used properties was shuttle service to/from the office which most often eliminated the need for a rental car just sitting at one location or the other. Another major perk may be run of the house rooms so no matter how many rooms have been booked, if there is an empty room, it's available at the negotiated rate. Including a breakfast credit may also be in there. I don't know if any of these exist in the FedRooms program, but they may be in the works for future editions. Gotta gather data to determine what the starting point is.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I have a friend who works for a limited-service property. I'm not sure what FedRooms is, but I know his property offers gov't rates of $111/night, when rack rates are much higher. One of the things he & I were talking about recently is that often they get someone who books the gov't rate on the weekends for 2-3 rooms (and they know it's really for a softball tournament or something). The property asks for gov't ID & usually the person can provide it & assumes it will cover all rooms, but it does raise the question of how many rooms by a single gov't employee can be booked & if the gov't is ok w/ its rate being used for softball tourneys, especially when rack rates are so much more.

Cheers.
Things could be different now, but in the years I traveled a boatload for the government they only cared about what rate you booked when you were asking for reimbursement. As far as I know, the decision to let government employees book government rates for personal travel was totally up to the hotel. Some allowed it, some did not. I know I did book a lot of them at Marriotts back when, but not infrequently found senior rates better.

Last edited by Michilander; Sep 29, 2018 at 10:03 am Reason: auto correct error
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:36 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Comparing to rack rates is specious. Nobody pays those.
Those who book the last three or four available rooms often do.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Comparing to rack rates is specious. Nobody pays those.
You'd be surprised. @:-)
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by EdofFX
I have the same reaction. I wonder if that was a typo, and was supposed to be "2 stars".

"Day or arrival"? Need to talk with that intern.
Crowns is or at least was the European system and Northstar Travel Media used to use them as well. My assumption is the material is just outdated.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The requirement that government travelers use the channel seems to be extremely limited and he may simply be unlucky. If in deed the leadership of a 50,000 person agency is looking at travel arrangements and is requiring memos to justify booking channel when rate is not affected, sounds like a good complaint for waste or abuse to the OP's Inspector General.

But, as to the specific, Marriott is quite aware of every booking channel under the sun as well as the various frauds pulled by various users. If it found it profitable to work through this channel, it would.

The key is not the government rate, but the fact that this channel requires what amounts to "last room" availability. That runs contrary to supply and demand concepts. While it is true that while room rates are low, the government rate may be quite attractive. But, during high demand times, the government rate may be a pittance.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
The requirement that government travelers use the channel seems to be extremely limited and he may simply be unlucky. If in deed the leadership of a 50,000 person agency is looking at travel arrangements and is requiring memos to justify booking channel when rate is not affected, sounds like a good complaint for waste or abuse to the OP's Inspector General.
Actually not - if you use the travel arrangement software it is all inclusive. Booking outside the system requires more work to get it processed (uploading reservation, verifying it is in the per-diem rate, inserting into the travel orders, etc.). In adition, alot of the travel arrangement contracts depends on the booking going through them (commission). One booking outside the system means that in the long run those contracts would cost more to the Government.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
Actually not - if you use the travel arrangement software it is all inclusive. Booking outside the system requires more work to get it processed (uploading reservation, verifying it is in the per-diem rate, inserting into the travel orders, etc.). In adition, alot of the travel arrangement contracts depends on the booking going through them (commission). One booking outside the system means that in the long run those contracts would cost more to the Government.
That is the fault of poor software and does not mean that FedRooms, which requires participating properties to provide certain features which are not required in any GSA rule, is the solution.

Verifying that the rate is within government per diem, just as one example, can be accomplished by simply knowing the zip code of the property. FedRooms, however, requires that the property agree to "last room availability." This means that a property which might provide some rooms at the government rate, but is not prepared to give up its private business if called on, can't participate.

In the long haul, fewer choices is a bad thing. For the taxpayer, the properties and the employee.
silverthief2 and KRSW like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The property asks for gov't ID & usually the person can provide it & assumes it will cover all rooms, but it does raise the question of how many rooms by a single gov't employee can be booked & if the gov't is ok w/ its rate being used for softball tourneys, especially when rack rates are so much more.
There are no government restrictions I am aware of on using hotels' offered government rates for personal travel. Hotels can, of course, put restrictions on the use of the rates. Marriott, however, generally does not: https://www.marriott.com/File%20Bloc...eals/chart.htm
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
As much as I dislike some of the features of the travel system as a traveler they made sense from the Government point of view.

That is the fault of poor software and does not mean that FedRooms, which requires participating properties to provide certain features which are not required in any GSA rule, is the solution.
Actually the federal travel regulations require that first consideration will be given to programs like FedRooms with those features (41CFR301.11-11(c)). There is always the ability to go out of the system (and even over the per due ) but that requires the memo.

Verifying that the rate is within government per diem, just as one example, can be accomplished by simply knowing the zip code of the property.
The verification is more than that for every memo. It will take into consideration the total travel expenses and time (for example one cannot stay at the Ritz across town from the meeting location if there is a Holiday Inn across the street). Of course this kind of check is right now done by human but I’m sure it will incorporated into the software soon.

It could be made to be easier - but why would it when there is less value to the Government? The Government has no interest for the traveler to stay in a particular hotel (most of the times) as long as it is in within the per diem.

FedRooms, however, requires that the property agree to "last room availability." This means that a property which might provide some rooms at the government rate, but is not prepared to give up its private business if called on, can't participate.

In the long haul, fewer choices is a bad thing. For the taxpayer, the properties and the employee.
The participation is voluntary. And the program will work only when supply outstrips demand. So considering that a room is a room and this requirement actually increases the supply of room for the Government (ie when needed there is a room available which without the program would have not or cost more) it is actually beneficial to the Government. At the moment demand our pace supply it would not. But that is not the case overall (there might be a combination of time and places that it is correct - exactly when the program adds value to the Government)
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Michilander
Things could be different now, but in the years I traveled a boatload for the government they only cared about what rate you booked when you were asking for reimbursement. As far as I know, the decision to let government employees book government rates for personal travel was totally up to the hotel. Some allowed it, some did not. I know I did book a lot of them at Marriotts back when, but not infrequently found senior rates better.
Originally Posted by soitgoes
There are no government restrictions I am aware of on using hotels' offered government rates for personal travel. Hotels can, of course, put restrictions on the use of the rates. Marriott, however, generally does not: https://www.marriott.com/File%20Bloc...eals/chart.htm

I don't work for the gov't so I had no idea how it worked, although the above makes sense to me; just like some corporations allow corporate rate to be used for personal travel & some don't.

My friend said if the person who booked the various rooms has gov't ID, they honor the rate for all the rooms booked under the name. I think he was more curious in how many rooms the gov't allowed for personal when sometimes it's 2-3 rooms but other times it's 5-6 rooms when it was obvious it was for something like a softball tourney. And to someone's comment that rack rates aren't very often used - well on a busy weekend in the summer, there are definitely people paying rack rate in the $200-300+ range.

He did say they've changed someone to rack rate when some have booked the gov't rate but don't have any gov't id. It's usually with the caveat that if they can provide it at some point during the stay, the rate will be switched back to the gov't rate. For the govt' contractors, they just tell them to have their gov't contact contact the property via email,, fax, etc, to verify they're allowed to use the rate.

He said they've gotten a few who did the how dare you, in 20 years of working w/ the gov't as a contractor I've never once been asked to show id. That person just happened to be staying on a weekend where a hugely popular festival was happening nearby & in a 3-day stay never came back w/ anything showing he was entitled to use gov't rate & didn't say a word about the rack rate when he checked out, according to my friend. Another one, when asked (after not being able to provide gov't id) what gov't agency/branch the person worked for, said what do you mean? I don't understand the question.

Cheers.
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I don't work for the gov't so I had no idea how it worked, although the above makes sense to me; just like some corporations allow corporate rate to be used for personal travel & some don't.
Some hotels limit the number of rooms one person can book at the government rate (e.g. Renaissance Portsmouth VA allows 2 rooms at the gov rate per person). Other properties have no limit. I booked 11 rooms at a Westin for a leisure event at the Gov rate a few years ago and the property was happy to have the business.

Similarly, some hotels are quite strict in mandating that gov rate rooms can be booked only in conjunction with official business and require travel orders. Others never require orders and their rooms can be booked at the gov rate for leisure trips (with appropriate ID). With some properties there are different government rates for official and leisure stays, with the former typically at per diem and the latter above per diem.

So basically, all of these details are highly property dependent.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Some hotels limit the number of rooms one person can book at the government rate (e.g. Renaissance Portsmouth VA allows 2 rooms at the gov rate per person). Other properties have no limit. I booked 11 rooms at a Westin for a leisure event at the Gov rate a few years ago and the property was happy to have the business.

Similarly, some hotels are quite strict in mandating that gov rate rooms can be booked only in conjunction with official business and require travel orders. Others never require orders and their rooms can be booked at the gov rate for leisure trips (with appropriate ID). With some properties there are different government rates for official and leisure stays, with the former typically at per diem and the latter above per diem.

So basically, all of these details are highly property dependent.
That was then, FedRooms is now. FedRooms requires last room availability. In other rooms, if there is availability a government traveler must be offered the room at the government rate.

Perhaps the best reason not to participate.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by govflyer
I'm a US Gov't employee, and the Government is now getting much more insistent in us staying only in FedRooms. For some reason, Marriott isn't included in their hotels (IHG, Hilton, etc all are). Anyone know why this is?
So I don't think this is a Marriott doesn't participate issue, but that the properties where you were staying don't. Marriott is listed as one of FedRoom's partners., and I have booked Marriott Properties through FedRooms before, and I did a quick search on both FedRooms independent booking engine, and my agency's booking software (using random dates in February in DC), and both Marriott and Starwood properties do show up (albeit not all of them - most of the nicer properties appear to be missing) - so it appears this is more of a property by property determination.

That was then, FedRooms is now. FedRooms requires last room availability. In other rooms, if there is availability a government traveler must be offered the room at the government rate.
Perhaps the best reason not to participate.
It doesn't appear that last room availability is required, I dug a little deeper, and it appears that they advertise "most hotels offer last standard room available FedRooms rates" but don't actually require the hotels to provide it. When I did my dummy searches there were a few hotels that were shown but with the disclaimer "rate unavailable" but for which other rates were. If I had to guess the biggest reason a particular property wouldn't participate is the extra paperwork - if the rooms are selling, why bother?

Last edited by ajwright; Sep 30, 2018 at 6:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.