Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Booking Awards Without Sufficient Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Marriott allows booking awards without sufficient points in account as long as you earn those points before date of stay. Is this still allowed for legacy Marriott, RC and Starwood properties? Does this lock in your point level in case property changes category or does this just hold award space? This may be elementary for Marriott veterans but I am from SPG side.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Yes, it is supposed to come back before end of year, I think the Lurkers gave a more specific timeframe as to when but I'm drawing a blank
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yes, it is supposed to come back before end of year, I think the Lurkers gave a more specific timeframe as to when but I'm drawing a blank
Timeframe? I was able to do this on Friday for a summer 2019 reservation.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Timeframe? I was able to do this on Friday for a summer 2019 reservation.
Maybe it was legacy Starwood properties I was thinking of then...
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I believe it is allowed for currently for legacy Marriott properties but not yet for Starwood ones. This will be one of the nice things Marriott is bringing to table.
bhrubin and TerryK like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I believe it is allowed for currently for legacy Marriott properties but not yet for Starwood ones. This will be one of the nice things Marriott is bringing to table.
I tested with a few random properties and looks like you are correct. Legacy Starwood properties are redirected to old Starwood website which doesn't allow it yet Marriott website does.

My question remains: Does booking without point deduction hold award level or does it hold award space only? It is of concern as many level 7 properties will go up to level 8 next year. Also, all properties will have peak/off-peak pricing.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
I tested with a few random properties and looks like you are correct. Legacy Starwood properties are redirected to old Starwood website which doesn't allow it yet Marriott website does.

My question remains: Does booking without point deduction hold award level or does it hold award space only? It is of concern as many level 7 properties will go up to level 8 next year. Also, all properties will have peak/off-peak pricing.
The point award is held at the rate you booked it for but the reservation when the hotel goes up in category will show the new level. You can call in when you have the points and advise the point level you made the booking at. The agent will confirm and either deduct the proper total or refund the difference
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:59 am

Cat 8 date and Points pooling

I've booked Ritz tokyo for 5 nights next May with Points Advance 240k.
I only have 50k in my account so required transferring 190k from wife's account which is only silver. Phoned CS and told the maximum points can be transferred are 100k each calendar year, so suggested to transfer 100k this year and rest of them after 1st Jan 2019.
My concern is when will new cat 8 be introduced. Points Advance won't secure the the points required if cat moved based on what I read after this Aug merge. So if cat 8 introduced on 1st Jan I will be screwed.
Anyone has any suggestion?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DonnyJohn
......My concern is when will new cat 8 be introduced. Points Advance won't secure the the points required if cat moved based on what I read after this Aug merge. So if cat 8 introduced on 1st Jan I will be screwed.
Anyone has any suggestion?
Isn't the answer in post #7 right above yours?

Originally Posted by joeags
The point award is held at the rate you booked it for but the reservation when the hotel goes up in category will show the new level. You can call in when you have the points and advise the point level you made the booking at. The agent will confirm and either deduct the proper total or refund the difference
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:35 pm

Booking without points in account

So I was under the impression, that this benefit would continue in the new program. I just tried to book a hotel without having all the points I need and neither the Starwood site nor the Marriott site will let me book. I’m waiting on the transfer from diners club so I know I’ll have the points in plenty of time. But if they’re not going to let me book considering how weak the hotel options there were for that week in Paris, I think I’ll just put the cash reservation someplace else and save those points for a later trip somewhere. By the time t the points show up the only thing that could be the courtyard out by the airport. Im very disappointed that that great benefit went away. It does remove one of my incentives to stay at Marriott
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
.....I just tried to book a hotel without having all the points I need and neither the Starwood site nor the Marriott site will let me book......
Is it a legacy Marriott, RC or Starwood property? I believe this only works with Marriott and RC properties.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Is it a legacy Marriott, RC or Starwood property? I believe this only works with Marriott and RC properties.
It was a legacy Marriott property. And it would not let me book because I do not have enough points.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was a legacy Marriott property. And it would not let me book because I do not have enough points.
Happened to me w/ an Autograph Collection property this summer
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum

You should be able to book this over the phone. It's SPG properties that I was told that you can't book online or by phone without sufficient points.... yet! Anxiously waiting....

Last edited by MarkP24; Oct 11, 2018 at 10:59 pm Reason: clarification
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by MarkP24
You should be able to book this over the phone. It's SPG properties that I was told that you can't book online or by phone without sufficient points.... yet! Anxiously waiting....
I have better ways to waste time then being on hold with Marriott for an hour. I just booked a cash hotel and will use the points later. But if they don't fix this it will drive my future stays. One of the reasons I often pick "Marriott" is I have a future "fun trip" I am "funding" with the points. If they won't let me do that I may decide to stay someplace else that's cheaper.
MarkP24 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.