Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

A/C is out in entire building - How would you handle?

A/C is out in entire building - How would you handle?

Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Thanks OP for coming back and letting us know how it all worked out!
karenkay likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:18 pm

I love a/c and most of my friends and family make me feel like a pariah when I want to eat inside vs outside or sleep with the a/c on vs windows. I felt for the OP and am pleased that things turned out well.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by trooper
That's great. My only concern is the expectation that it is somehow possible to specify exactly when a repair to a major piece of equipment is going to be completed...….. I don't think that is terribly realistic...aloha time notwithstanding!
I completely agree, however, I feel that in any situation like this whether it be airline mechanical delays, car repairs, etc, that it's always best to give the customer all the available info and let them decide how to proceed. That was really my only frustration - prior to speaking to the manager, I had no details. As it turns out, the repair to the system was made yesterday, but it needed 24 hours to "prime the pumps" or something like that. Had that just been stated yesterday, I would know that there was an end in sight. Instead, the confusing door hanger made me think it was possible this could go on for days. Give out the info and let me decide.

Originally Posted by dcstudent
Thanks OP for coming back and letting us know how it all worked out!
Of course! Thanks again to this forum for the very helpful suggestions! I've only dropped in here a couple times over the years, but it's so nice to be able to get so many non-snarky, helpful responses. Let's just say that is not always the case on some other FT forums (that shall remain nameless!) I will endeavor to return the favor in the future. Cheers!
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:07 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I’m well known for my crazy need for excellent air con at any hotel. My only example of an incident quite like this is when I stayed several years ago over an April Easter weekend at Le Parker Meridien in NYC, having confirmed in advance that the air con would be effective. I arrived to discover the air con wasn’t even turned on in the entire hotel.

I insisted the hotel move me to another hotel with working air con. Unfortunately, all the other SPG hotels with working air con that weekend were full.

The hotel tried to move me to massive suites, but they were on higher floors and were actually hotter! The hotel knew I was serious at that point, I think. They ended up moving me to a non sun exposure junior suite, provided two massive fans, and gave me points equivalent to two free nights for my poor 2 night stay. They also comp’d me room service breakfast (I already got free Plat breakfast, so this was a nice gesture). I felt the service recovery was appropriate, despite the fact that I had 2 miserable nights. I never returned to the hotel. (Le Parker Meridien ownership’s refusal a year or so ago to renovate and bring this NYC and the Palm Springs properties up to standard were part of the reasons they no longer are part of the SPG/Marriott portfolio, in fact.)

In this case, no matter how anyone else tries to slice it, air con not working invalidates any night’s stay at any hotel in any warm climate IMO. Marriott either needs to move you to a different property with working air con or owes you points or certs for the equivalent number of nights you have to endure without air con. To me, it’s just that simple.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I had the impression that the two LPM properties were booted from Starwood after they were caught cheating on revenue reports in order to underpay Starwood fees and/or billing SPG the "we are full" rate for award nights on days when the hotel wasn't full.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.