Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Several months on - how are they doing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Several months on - how are they doing?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Mixed.

Information Technology: clearly still an issue, with some old MR LTPs not reflecting new LTPP or at a minimum current PP status (not an issue for me, my grandfathered LTPP reflects). Stays are still taking a long time to post. Intermittent website issues in search, displaying reservations, etc. are still very common. Don't have too much to contact marriott about but did over missing stays and they are extremely backlogged on replying.

Property treatment: I've only stayed at two properties post-08/18. The JW Marriott Mall of America, front desk and elite benefits were properly acknowledged.

Delta Minneapolis Northeast: I did mobile check-in yesterday and they prepared that in an elite little cardboard sleeve/silver elite keycard. They did tell me about their "Elite pantry" (toaster, light snacks, cereal, and water/soda/milk/etc. in fridge) as they do not have a lounge. When I inquired about breakfast benefit they said the elite pantry substituted; when I pointed out the pantry lacked hot food (no eggs, protein [sausage/bacon], oatmeal, etc.) or sitting space, they did provide one traditional style breakfast coupon (for elite + 1 to me). They also did not ask about points, but I'm pretty sure the mobile check-in states that it automatically opts you into the points and to tell the front desk if you want something else. The FDE seemed to express that there was a lot of confusion on the ground benefits-wise post 08/18 program merger and changes.

So while I don't have any major complaints, it does seem that hotel staff (at least at some properties) are not used to the benefits changes.

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
For me, I cannot understand why the two brands, Rewards and Preferred Guest still exist side by side with near-identical apps and websites.
Loyalty has been merged, both technically and in practice (can actually merge accounts and have points/nights post to a single account from either side).
IT has not yet been completely merged. You can search for SPG brand properties on spg.com/marriott.com (different branding, same site) but when you actually search/select rates for legacy SPG properties, you get redirected to starwoodhotels.com. While the top of the page looks the same (language/help/My Trips/name and account dropdown menu) the rest of the interface is totally different. The IP of starwoodhotels goes to 155.72.90.26, which is an IP range that is now registered to Marriott, but called ITTSHERATON-B (which you can verify here).

There could be a variety of reasons to delay the change. It could be technical (like the legacy starwoodhotels.com site I just talked about) where they're waiting to get on a consistent set of domain names (like marriott.com). It could be that the brand consultants just haven't figured out all of the marketing materials and taglines and agreed on a name.

There is, of course, a third possibility: That they know the name of the merged loyalty program that they're going to use and that they could re-brand today, but chose not to. Why would they do this?

Everyone complaining about the post 08/18 Marriott Rewards issues (IT and property) will be complaining against the names SPG and Marriott Rewards, not whatever the new name is. MR waits for all of the issues to settle down and stabilize, and then announce a new rebranded name that comes without all of the baggage of people complaining of the impending merger or the problems that occurred when the merger did happen.
unclepants likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by phltraveler
MR waits for all of the issues to settle down and stabilize, and then announce a new rebranded name that comes without all of the baggage of people complaining of the impending merger or the problems that occurred when the merger did happen.
At the speed they are fixing things - this should be in 20-25 years from now.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I'm going to say that in the last week Marriott has gone from "essentially unusable" to "unreliable and unresponsive" for me. I'm giving Marriott another try with a few stays in the next couple of weeks, so we'll see.
For today, it's back to "essentially unusable". I continue to be recognised with no status (or SPG Gold at best) at every property, and when I tried booking a new hotel today I wasn't able to lock down a bookable price of either cash or points. I would normally have expected to stay about 15-20 nights and ~$5,000 in the merger period, so for me this is becoming quite a big deal. I am increasingly concerned that the fix might not be on the horizon meaning that I might have lost my preferred option for some time yet.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott-Titanium, Hilton-Diamond
I've stayed in Marriott hotels at least one night every week for the last 13, usually 3-4 night stays. Chicago, Costa Rica, Denver, Detroit.

Other than some delays in points and stays postings, some lifetime nights self corrections, zero calls or emails. No problems.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:20 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Shockingly, still a mess after a month.

- Had 6 stays, 3 posted (legacy SPG), 3 didn’t (2 SPG and 1 Marriott). Posting isn’t intuitive — BRG rewards points now post separate from the stay, making it impossible to figure out what has posted and what hasn’t.
- Points from cancelled award reservations still missing.
- YTD stay count still inaccurate.
- Confirmation emails (booking/cancellation) are sporadic for SPG and never come for Marriott.
- Website sometimes unavailable altogether (rare now), shows available hotels sold out, and doesn’t immediately display the lowest rate available. Marriott app doesn’t let me log in at all.
- BRG points for approved SPG claims (2K SPG points) post incorrectly as 5K Marriott points.
- I haven’t been able to speak to a phone agent yet, because I hang up after 20+ minutes on hold.
- Communication dreadful — do they really believe these issues don’t exist just because they don’t admit what’s going on?

On the upside, I’m maxing out the 40 night Hyatt promo. And the treatment I received on 2 stays as Hilton Gold has been better than expected.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jpdx
And the treatment I received on 2 stays as Hilton Gold has been better than expected.
Yes, I had the same experience. I then decided to merge my two Hilton accounts and guess what? Hilton has a friendly, instantly available, competent chat option. I cancelled my SPG card and got the AX Aspire card that day, if a gold stay was pretty decent, Diamond status won't hurt.

Marriott keeps making it very clear they don't care about my business
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:49 am

I don't think I've spent more than 90 minutes of my life on the phone with SPG in the last ten years, but I've spent at least double that on the phone with them during the past month. Hold times are ridiculous (20+ minutes for a PPE?). Clearly the case as their IT wasn't ready for prime time.

I have a flex reservation that should take five seconds to cancel that won't cancel online, agents have spent more than an hour trying to cancel before sending it to the hotel, the hotel has apparently cancelled, the cancellation number doesn't link to any reservation, the reservation remains active in my account, and an associated Suite Night Award has not been returned to my account as the reservation appears to still be active. Its a LSPG property, and the reservation was made pre-integration. I'm getting to my wits end on this one.

I think it may be problematic as there's an SNA applied to it (that can't be removed by anyone for some reason). SNAs have largely been a mess as I can't modify or cancel them online (outside or within five days), and similarly the call centre can't do the same - although they should be able to. I have a stay on Friday, and five days prior didn't receive an email approving or indicating that the system will keep trying. I have my doubts these will return to my account automatically - if they don't, I'm going to be pushing hard for them to extend the validity, as a key benefit isn't being provided.

I also find the dumbed-down Marriott property pages extremely annoying; they lack information, including property email addresses. Fax numbers are available in abundance (in 2018), but email info removed. The search grid also sucks.

So all in all, call me pretty unimpressed, and add me to the list of those starting to cast an eye elsewhere.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpdx
- YTD stay count still inaccurate.
If you know how to find an SPG YTD stay count (accurate or inaccurate), please tell us. That's one of things that's glaringly missing AFAIK, and is still needed through the end of 2018 for those trying to qualify for legacy SPG Plat this year with 25 stays.

Or did you mean YTD nights count?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Mixed....

The Bad:

Still have a reservation at a Legacy SPG hotel made pre-August 18 for a stay post-August 18 that shows up in my account but when i click on it, it does not have the room type or rate - just the hotel and dates

The Whatever:
Account still off by less than 5K points - sent email weeks ago, only got form response giving me a case number, not worth following up over so few points
Account still shows $0 YTD spend (in the whatever category because I won't hit Ambassador no matter what my spend is)

The Good:
YTD Nights and LT Nights are correct
LT Status is now correct
Had my first stay at a Legacy Marriott property (up until August 18 I only had 25LT nights at Marriott), a Fairfield Inn. Upgraded to the hotel's Executive Suite and offered free bottled water from the pantry and thanked for being Platinum.

THE AMAZING:
We've still got the SPG Lurkers who are helpful and have individual personalities unlike Marriott Concierge that just drops in, leaves a PR statement and is never heard from again. (For those of you who are Legacy Marriott and may not be familiar with the SPG board, the Lurkers -especially I, II and III are amazing!)

Last edited by dcstudent; Sep 19, 2018 at 5:18 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:00 am

I'm still missing 610k points and starting to lose hope I'll ever see them again.

Also still waiting for my points since 1st July from SPG Amex to land.

Other problems I had such as missing nights etc have been corrected.

Lastly I'm still really disappointed Marriott withdrew the lounge access benefit for Platinum members at Luxury Collection properties.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Only issue that I'm now having is that the Platinum Premier arrival gifts are not always crediting automatically..
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Wickersley
Only issue that I'm now having is that the Platinum Premier arrival gifts are not always crediting automatically..
How can you tell? I have no way of reconciling any changes in my total...
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
My latest stay posted without any prompting but I got an email refusal for two stays I took in early August in Spain - standard email said that I wasn't entitled to any points despite spending EUR1k+ on accommodation and hotel spend. Tried to ring customer service and gave up - the wait times are getting longer. I rang about a cert a few weeks ago and waited 40 minutes for a connection and the customer service agent didn't acknowledge the wait time.

I combined my accounts but can't see upcoming SPG stays when I log in and also can't decide if I got 3 for 1 on the SPG points transfer because I didn't take note of my points. Great move on my part!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ellie_nz
My latest stay posted without any prompting but I got an email refusal for two stays I took in early August in Spain - standard email said that I wasn't entitled to any points despite spending EUR1k+ on accommodation and hotel spend. Tried to ring customer service and gave up - the wait times are getting longer. I rang about a cert a few weeks ago and waited 40 minutes for a connection and the customer service agent didn't acknowledge the wait time.
Yes ,the biggest problem turns into the wait times are bad all the time. So the website may or may not work now I need help and it is tough to get.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
How can you tell? I have no way of reconciling any changes in my total...
Go to your Activity page. In the Latest Activity table, there will be a breakdown of points in the last column:

In this case, I got 5,600 base points, 4,200 points because I'm Platinum Premier (75% bonus), and 500 "Extra" -- which is the RI check-in bonus.

-mvitale

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.