New hotel...confirmed reservation for 0 points/night?

Old Sep 16, 18, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG/Marriott Platinum, DL
New hotel...confirmed reservation for 0 points/night?

I was looking at the AC Hotel Cape Town Waterfront (supposedly opening in December), and there was no availability on the website due to minimum stay requirements.

However, I checked on the app and it showed the price for a one night redemption as 0 points + 303 ZAR in taxes/fees.
I tried booking it, and it went through (I now have a confirmation email). However, I don't think the property is actually taking redemption bookings yet, as there's no availability for any date and no category showing.

Looking at my reservation online, it says "Please order e-certificate(s) now to ensure your stay is covered." Clicking on that takes me to an error page.

Any ideas how I should proceed? Would they honor the 0 points rate, which I took screenshots of? Would they assign a category to the hotel before it opens and charge me whatever that rate is? The cancellation deadline for the reservation is tomorrow.
Old Sep 16, 18, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Clearly you can't assume that zero points is ok. It would be great if you could reach Marriott which is what I'd recommend, but if the phone lines are still down you should at least reach out to the hotel. The Cape Town hotel market is small and largely friendly, so they should be able to find a way to accommodate you (while probably not allowing you to stay for free).