Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Lisbon, Portugal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Lisbon, Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Search is your friend! We just had a post on this started this week:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-portugal.html
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Altis Belem in Lisbon?

How does Altis Belem compare to the Fontecruz Lisboa and Memmo Principe Real? We will be using a 7 night travel package and trying to select a hotel. After reading here about Fontecruz and looking at the online photos, I am starting to shy away from it, so I think really, the Memmo Principe Real and Altis Belem are front runners at this point. Our hope is to see/experience a lot of Lisbon and surrounding areas like Evora.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Ah! I missed it. Thanks much.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
My wife and I just returned from a five day stay at the Sheraton Lisbona. As mentioned above it's in a good location, right off the Metro Yellow line. We used the metro, bus, train and walked to all the places we wanted to visit. The taxis were on strike while we were there (we didn't plan to use them so no big deal). We enjoyed the hotel, staff were helpful and pleasant. I'm Platinum and when checking in I was told the hotel was full so they couldn't upgrade me but did give us the highest floor available with a view. The website showed that the hotel was sold out and it did appear to be quite full, but our room was quiet. We were given the option of breakfast in the Club Lounge or restaurant and given full access to the spa. We had breakfast in the restaurant each morning. The Club Lounge had fruit and pastries in the afternoon and they put out a couple of hot items, cheese, crackers, sandwiches and dessert items at 5 PM. They rotated the hot items each night which was nice. Overall I'd say it was a good use of 100K points for the five days.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:31 pm

What kind of Platinum benefits does one get at the Fontecruz or Memmo? Do we get breakfast there?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sinfonia
Recommendations? My current leaning is Altis Belem.
Since you seem to be open to non-Marriott hotels, I stayed at the Altis Grand, which within walking distance of most everything in Lisbon. It was on par with a J.W. Marriott minus the food-and-beverage. Breakfast was great, but it wasn't ideal for drinks or dinner, especially with so many good cafes and restaurants in Lisbon.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Since you seem to be open to non-Marriott hotels, I stayed at the Altis Grand, which within walking distance of most everything in Lisbon. It was on par with a J.W. Marriott minus the food-and-beverage. Breakfast was great, but it wasn't ideal for drinks or dinner, especially with so many good cafes and restaurants in Lisbon.
Great! I rarely want to eat lunch or dinner at the hotel anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:12 pm

I had a four night stay at the Altis Belem about ten days ago, as a PPE member and booked through SPG. I booked a Deluxe Room and was not further upgraded - I believe the hotel was quite full during my stay. My Marriott status was not explicitly acknowledged, although some baked treats were in my room as a "VIP guest".

I have to say, I really enjoyed my stay. The hotel is right next to the Targus River, beside the Doca de Bom Successo (a marina). It was easy and enjoyable to walk along the river, and the light at the end of the day was great. Belem is not the historic centre of Lisbon (with its hills and trams), but several kilometres outside the core. There are a number of museums and other significant cultural sites within a ten minute walk of the hotel, including the Jerónimos Monastery. The Belem suburban rail station is about a twelve minute walk from the hotel. Uber worked well in the area. Its worth noting that the hotel is a bit 'cut off' from the other areas of Belem, as the suburban rail line runs through the middle of Av. Brasilia. The best place I found to cross is a pedestrian underpass between the Monastery and the Padrăo dos Descobrimentos (monument) just up the road. I didn't find any noise from the train disturbing while in my room (unless my large glass windows were opened).

In terms of the hotel itself, the deluxe room was really spacious, with a small sofa and two lounge chairs, and a large (and comfortable) king bed. The bathroom has clear glass that looks into the bedroom (although the toilet and shower are more private), so keep that in mind if you're travelling with someone. A very nice stand-alone bathtub, and some items in the mini-bar are complimentary. Each of the rooms is themed on Portuguese discoveries and is decorated slightly differently. The breakfast was included in my rate and buffet-style - I found the food to be very high quality and nicely presented. Most people chose to eat outside, with a view of the marina and river... very pleasant way to start the day. I ordered room service a couple of times, and that was also well done, arrived hot and was tasty.

The hotel has a Karen Herzog spa, with a dark and relaxing pool in the basement. I had a couple of treatments, which were reasonably priced (check out the specials) and of good quality. The gym is also located through the spa, and I believe that access to the gym, pool and sauna/steam is complimentary for hotel guests (I'm not 100% sure on the pool). The hotel also has a small rooftop pool with a number of lounge chairs.

All said, it was a good stay with kind staff, and I would definitely return. If you're set on being in the core of Lisbon, its likely not for you, but if you're looking for large, comfortable rooms and a relaxing environment, its worth considering.

The stay hasn't yet posted, but I believe that's a Marriott issue.
unclepants likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles

Stays at Desigh Hotels post immediatelly after the property inserts the stay details into a specific portal for that purpose. Because they don’t use SPG’s management software, there is no way for Marriott’s IT system to pick up the stay information — it has to be manually inserted by the property and will show up immediately on your account after that.

I’ve had DH stays posting 1 or 2 hours after checking out. Some properties do it in batches weekly or biweekly. Others simply forget about that.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by makin'miles
I had a four night stay at the Altis Belem about ten days ago, as a PPE member and booked through SPG. I booked a Deluxe Room and was not further upgraded - I believe the hotel was quite full during my stay. My Marriott status was not explicitly acknowledged, although some baked treats were in my room as a "VIP guest".

I have to say, I really enjoyed my stay. The hotel is right next to the Targus River, beside the Doca de Bom Successo (a marina). It was easy and enjoyable to walk along the river, and the light at the end of the day was great. Belem is not the historic centre of Lisbon (with its hills and trams), but several kilometres outside the core. There are a number of museums and other significant cultural sites within a ten minute walk of the hotel, including the Jerónimos Monastery. The Belem suburban rail station is about a twelve minute walk from the hotel. Uber worked well in the area. Its worth noting that the hotel is a bit 'cut off' from the other areas of Belem, as the suburban rail line runs through the middle of Av. Brasilia. The best place I found to cross is a pedestrian underpass between the Monastery and the Padrăo dos Descobrimentos (monument) just up the road. I didn't find any noise from the train disturbing while in my room (unless my large glass windows were opened).

In terms of the hotel itself, the deluxe room was really spacious, with a small sofa and two lounge chairs, and a large (and comfortable) king bed. The bathroom has clear glass that looks into the bedroom (although the toilet and shower are more private), so keep that in mind if you're travelling with someone. A very nice stand-alone bathtub, and some items in the mini-bar are complimentary. Each of the rooms is themed on Portuguese discoveries and is decorated slightly differently. The breakfast was included in my rate and buffet-style - I found the food to be very high quality and nicely presented. Most people chose to eat outside, with a view of the marina and river... very pleasant way to start the day. I ordered room service a couple of times, and that was also well done, arrived hot and was tasty.

The hotel has a Karen Herzog spa, with a dark and relaxing pool in the basement. I had a couple of treatments, which were reasonably priced (check out the specials) and of good quality. The gym is also located through the spa, and I believe that access to the gym, pool and sauna/steam is complimentary for hotel guests (I'm not 100% sure on the pool). The hotel also has a small rooftop pool with a number of lounge chairs.

All said, it was a good stay with kind staff, and I would definitely return. If you're set on being in the core of Lisbon, its likely not for you, but if you're looking for large, comfortable rooms and a relaxing environment, its worth considering.

I wouldn't expect much at Design properties, especially when the Altis Belem is part of a local chain of hotels that has its own program (Attitude Card).

This is also an issue at some of the Prince properties in Japan and Hawaii, as Prince has its own program even though some of the hotels are also in the Marriott portfolio. Needless to say, some of the reports indicate Marriott (and legacy SPG) elites don't get much at these properties beyond the absolute minimum.

I'm actually surprised Marriott doesn't require exclusivity, especially with soft brands like Autograph Collection, Design, or Tribute.

It will be interesting to see how Marriott handles some of the hotels acquired today by Hyatt, as some of them are in the Marriott portfolio. Presumably, Hyatt will buyout the management or licensing agreements with Marriott.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Commie
What kind of Platinum benefits does one get at the Fontecruz or Memmo? Do we get breakfast there?
Currently at the Fontecruz- Plats get breakfast and an amenity (list from which to choose at checkin) BUT my upgrade consisted of a room across from elevator and housekeeper closet and against the wall to the building next door which is under construction (lots of constant noise), they refused room change, so that sort of negates plat benes for me. Stayed at Sheraton Lisboa two years ago, same time of year, received upgrade to a suite, breakfast in either restaurant or club. Chose Fontecruz this time because of location- big mistake.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
I stayed at Fontecruz several years ago, and as a plat, got upgraded to the best suite in the hotel... Either they've become more stingy, or it's luck of the draw..
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Any updates on Lisbon options?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:14 pm

Trying to maximize on the double points promo upcoming, planning to stay in Lisbon for 3 nights, debating between Sheraton and Marriott...photos of the Sheraton rooms look a bit dated (Deluxe Queen) and Marriott renovated rooms with the balcony look pretty nice. Seems to be a lot of good feedback on Sheraton, any thoughts on Marriott lately?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ayee007
Trying to maximize on the double points promo upcoming, planning to stay in Lisbon for 3 nights, debating between Sheraton and Marriott...photos of the Sheraton rooms look a bit dated (Deluxe Queen) and Marriott renovated rooms with the balcony look pretty nice. Seems to be a lot of good feedback on Sheraton, any thoughts on Marriott lately?
Is there a big difference on location?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.