Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Policy: 4.3.c.v: 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. At Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy, Platinum Elite Members and above are guaranteed a late checkout up until 2 p.m. local time and may request to check out as late as 4 p.m. local time based upon availability. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design Hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve are excluded from this benefit.

Participating Property = any property that participates in the Marriott Bonvoy program, subject to the exclusions below.

Brands and hotels where "Based Upon Availability" apply: Resort and convention hotels, Design Hotels, Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy
Not Available: Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Marriott Convention and Resort Hotels.

hotelprof 's Google Doc list of resorts and convention hotels: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Jek/edit#gid=0

Recommendations from Xero after an epic battle with Marriott/hotel.

Here is what I learnt if a hotel denies 4 PM checkout.

1) Call Marriott. Ask about the 4 PM checkout guarantee. If the phone agent claims it is based on availability, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor also claims late checkout is based on availability, hang up and call again. Keep trying until you get an agent that acknowledges the 4 PM checkout guarantee.

2) When you get an agent that acknowledges the guarantee, ask for a case number. Then, let the agent know the hotel violating the policy. In addition, ask if the agent can call the hotel directly to explain the policy. They or their supervisor should have no issue calling the hotel to clarify policy with them.

3) If the agent is unable to get hold of the hotel or a hotel manager, call back tomorrow and follow up on the case number. When the phone agent picks up, immediately give them the case number. Again, have them call the hotel. By having a case number, you don't have to argue that the 4 PM checkout is "based on availability". The agent will immediately read the case and learn that the 4PM checkout is an actual guarantee.

4) (Optional) Keep the case number handy for future hotel reservations. If you get another hotel that denies you late checkout, call Marriott and give them the case number. The agent will realize that 4 PM checkout is a guarantee. Then state that another hotel is denying the benefit and the agent to call he hotel.

If the Marriott hotel you're staying at is in the US and isn't on this list, then you should be good to go for guaranteed 4 pm checkout - meaning if they deny you, they're in violation of the program.

Print Wikipost

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Heck I've had housekeeping knock at like 9 AM before.
Ditto. I wonder how many of those HKs know how much power they wield to drive their tip straight to $0?
EuropeanPete and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I think most here understand that, but if I (or anyone staying) asked for and received a set late check-out time, then I don't think it is unreasonable for the hotel to "assume" that I will be in the room until that time unless I otherwise notify them.
Yep. And if they try to enter or call my room AFTER my confirmed checkout time and the DND is still on the door, I'm the one that does the apologizing.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer

Ditto. I wonder how many of those HKs know how much power they wield to drive their tip straight to $0?
I wonder how much the manager realizes that this sort of shenanigans can quickly put their property on my "do not stay" list. It's more than just a housekeeper missing a tip. I remember stuff like this.
EuropeanPete and CCIE_Flyer like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
When I call down to request a LACO, I often also ask the FDC/FDM to ensure that nobody knocks on my DND door until the confirmed checkout time. Usually works.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
The other issue is the case of the deactivated keycards. I think 75% of the times I’ve gotten a late checkout where I left the room between 12 and when I checked out, the key was deactivated.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:59 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The other issue is the case of the deactivated keycards. I think 75% of the times I’ve gotten a late checkout where I left the room between 12 and when I checked out, the key was deactivated.
If you're running at only 75% you are doing something right. I suspect I'm at 95% - You know you have a switched on receptionist and usually a great hotel when you hear "Your booked car to the airport is at 15:30 meaning you'll want a late checkout. I've already programmed the key for it so you won't need to come back down".
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Yes, this is most definitely a major annoyance to me. It seems to happen inevitably when I have come from exercising (and so don't want to be mingling with folks at the front desk) or when I'm in a rush to grab my stuff and leave, but instead need to wait for the elevator again (twice) and then wait in line at the front desk to get new keys.

I've had a few properties tell me that there is no way for them to issue a key that works past normal checkout time until that time has expired. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but each time I was told this they seemed very apologetic about it.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ikwia
Yes, this is most definitely a major annoyance to me. It seems to happen inevitably when I have come from exercising (and so don't want to be mingling with folks at the front desk) or when I'm in a rush to grab my stuff and leave, but instead need to wait for the elevator again (twice) and then wait in line at the front desk to get new keys.

I've had a few properties tell me that there is no way for them to issue a key that works past normal checkout time until that time has expired. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but each time I was told this they seemed very apologetic about it.
Allow me to translate: I don't know how to do this and I don't want to ask someone to help me, so please go away and come back when someone else is here.

I almost always get a late checkout and often get the key updated to 4pm (as far as I know). To me a simple solution is to issue a key for the day after checkout (should be simple enough) but tell me it will expire at 4pm. When they issue a key to the next guest, it will invalidate the key I got. I don't spend my life in a box so surprised when I find many do.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Allow me to translate: I don't know how to do this and I don't want to ask someone to help me, so please go away and come back when someone else is here.
Certainly possible. But in fairness, each time it has been a different person who told me that than checked me in, so they have little incentive to lie to cover up their own ignorance.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:44 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Horace
It's easy to determine whether a Marriott property is officially a Hotel or Resort. When you bring up each hotel's website at Marrriott.com, a line at (or near) the top will show something like this:

Marriott.com / Autograph Collection / Honolulu / Hotel
Marriott.com / The Luxury Collection / Honolulu / Resort
Marriott.com / Courtyard / Honolulu / Hotel

This was extremely helpful - thank you !
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
If there is a DND sign, regardless of the time. Housekeeping’s first move should be contacting the front desk or someone at a computer and seeing if the guest has checked out already, and if they haven’t, what time do they checkout. They should never never ever knock or call themselves. Especially with the online checkout button now.

I raise hell with any property that house keeping knocks on my door and I’m still before my time.
Again, DND = contact a staff to look at the computer.

Side note, if it is before standard checkout (regardless if I have a late checkout or not) I am demanding compensation. And yes, it has happened 2 or 3 times.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Gold, Omni Black,
Sorry for the rant because normally there is no problem with the 4pm late checkout, however I just had a very upsetting experience at the Springhill Suites in Columbus GA (definitely not a resort!). I indicated late checkout on mobile check-in, verified the 4pm checkout with front desk around 8:45am as I left for my meeting and had the card re-keyed. When I arrived back at hotel around 3pm, my room door was wide open (even though I had placed DND sign on door) and all of my belongings were gone! I immediately headed to the front desk thinking my stuff had been stolen and was informed that "no, we took your things because we thought that you forgot them." and no we don't have you in our system as having late checkout. They literally stuffed my clothes into plastic bags. No apologiesI I then went to my room, which still technically was mine due to confirmed late checked and re-keyed cards. At 3:58, the (very confrontational) manager, knocked heavily on my door (along with 4 other employees including a very large gentleman!) informing me that I was no longer welcome and I needed to vacate the premises immediately. All the hotel staff had to do was apologize and make it right... Yep....this happened to a lifetime Platinum who spends 100+ nights a year at Marriotts.... I have contacted the Platinum line and have a case number. Additionally, I have asked them to check the front desk camera to verify that I indeed did have my cards re-keyed..Moral of the story, don't expect that a Marriott property will even honor a 4pm checkout even if they give you one.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
The above Hagaphus story is absurd. In my experience Marriott Corporate will side with property owners/managers/franchisees over even the most elite of elites in most cases, which is precisely why I was an SPG refugee for the final couple of years there.

Having said all that, with the big brute and all, is it safe to assume you made quite a fuss upon discovering your bagged property? Either way, probably don't set your expectations too high with the Corp folk...
Hagaphus likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Gold, Omni Black,
I agree...totally absurd on many levels. My first impression was that my belongings were stolen. Yes, I was panicked and conveyed this to the front desk. I was taken aback at A) Their total lack of caring and B) an immediate denial of the 4pm checkout. All that was needed was an apology.... 99.9% of my stays have gone smoothly...not this one...Interested to see how Marriott handles the situation...
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
The above Hagaphus story is absurd. In my experience Marriott Corporate will side with property owners/managers/franchisees over even the most elite of elites in most cases, which is precisely why I was an SPG refugee for the final couple of years there.

Having said all that, with the big brute and all, is it safe to assume you made quite a fuss upon discovering your bagged property? Either way, probably don't set your expectations too high with the Corp folk...
To be fair, creating a large fuss when you find your door open, and your belongings missing is perfectly reasonable. I had that happen as well once and it was extremely upsetting. Of course in the situation I encountered our stuff was completely gone, not just put in lost and found.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.