Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Policy: 4.3.c.v: 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. At Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy, Platinum Elite Members and above are guaranteed a late checkout up until 2 p.m. local time and may request to check out as late as 4 p.m. local time based upon availability. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design Hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve are excluded from this benefit.

Brands and hotels where "Based Upon Availability" apply: Resort and convention hotels, Design Hotels, Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy
Not Available: Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Marriott Convention and Resort Hotels.

hotelprof 's Google Doc list of resorts and convention hotels: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Jek/edit#gid=0

Recommendations from Xero after an epic battle with Marriott/hotel.

Here is what I learnt if a hotel denies 4 PM checkout.

1) Call Marriott. Ask about the 4 PM checkout guarantee. If the phone agent claims it is based on availability, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor also claims late checkout is based on availability, hang up and call again. Keep trying until you get an agent that acknowledges the 4 PM checkout guarantee.

2) When you get an agent that acknowledges the guarantee, ask for a case number. Then, let the agent know the hotel violating the policy. In addition, ask if the agent can call the hotel directly to explain the policy. They or their supervisor should have no issue calling the hotel to clarify policy with them.

3) If the agent is unable to get hold of the hotel or a hotel manager, call back tomorrow and follow up on the case number. When the phone agent picks up, immediately give them the case number. Again, have them call the hotel. By having a case number, you don't have to argue that the 4 PM checkout is "based on availability". The agent will immediately read the case and learn that the 4PM checkout is an actual guarantee.

4) (Optional) Keep the case number handy for future hotel reservations. If you get another hotel that denies you late checkout, call Marriott and give them the case number. The agent will realize that 4 PM checkout is a guarantee. Then state that another hotel is denying the benefit and the agent to call he hotel.

If the Marriott hotel you're staying at is in the US and isn't on this list, then you should be good to go for guaranteed 4 pm checkout - meaning if they deny you, they're in violation of the program.

Print Wikipost

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GoPhils

There are many reports of housekeeping knocking on the door early. I don’t think it’s usually because the FD didn’t communicate it to them, I think it’s because they want to see if you did end up leaving sooner. But they should at least honor the DND sign.

I'm starting to suspect that many hotel managers instruct housekeeping to disregard the DND signs in the belief that having housekeepers and housekeeping supervisors knock on doors will succeed in getting people to leave sooner.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm starting to suspect that many hotel managers instruct housekeeping to disregard the DND signs in the belief that having housekeepers and housekeeping supervisors knock on doors will succeed in getting people to leave sooner.
I think it's more from so many people forgetting to take down the DND sign than anything else. Now if they bust through the deadbolt or flip lock, then I'd scream to high heaven with the management. Only supervisors/security and up should have that access, not everyone on the housekeeping staff.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I think it's more from so many people forgetting to take down the DND sign than anything else. Now if they bust through the deadbolt or flip lock, then I'd scream to high heaven with the management. Only supervisors/security and up should have that access, not everyone on the housekeeping staff.
I've had that happen twice. In both cases, a housekeeping supervisor entered the room (not just opened the door) when I wasn't dressed (in one case, I didn't hear the tapping on the door because I was in the shower, which the housekeeper obviously should have heard) and had the deadbolt set, with the hotel swearing that housekeeping supervisors should not have key cards that can override the deadbolt. I did scream to management, but I had the feeling that this was SOP/business as usual.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I've had that happen twice. In both cases, a housekeeping supervisor entered the room (not just opened the door) when I wasn't dressed (in one case, I didn't hear the tapping on the door because I was in the shower, which the housekeeper obviously should have heard) and had the deadbolt set, with the hotel swearing that housekeeping supervisors should not have key cards that can override the deadbolt. I did scream to management, but I had the feeling that this was SOP/business as usual.
It's common for excuses/lies to be made when things go wrong. I've also had situations where management denied what happened could have happened at their property. I saw the same thing next time I was there. A polite request for the manager to take a walk down a hallway showed their staff do block doors open while cleaning and, in my case, someone must have entered the room and watched a movie. Housekeeper either thought they were me or were gone for a long time. I had already received credit for the bogus charges, but the manager appreciated me taking the time to demonstrate the issue exists.

As for them busting in, once that happens to me at a property, I then start moving a chair or other obstacle to block the door to prove there is someone in the room. Yes, they can push past that, but really shouldn't unless they think I'm not able to respond. They don't know/care the deadbolt has been set when they use the bypass key right off the bat.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:57 pm

It goes the other way too. Much to my surprise, and, actually, delight, that they are so strict.

I was at the Marquis in DC, and I asked for some laundry to be sent up that I had forgotten when I walked in. I had the DND on my door, which I had forgotten about. 15 minutes later, my phone rang, and was the FD telling me that someone with my laundry was outside my door. I'm like, what the?

So, I opened the door, and the staff member told me it was forbidden for them to knock on a door that had a DND on it. The guy had to call down to the FD so they could call me.

I apologized to the guy, and gave him a nice tip for following the rules.

So, at least at *that* property, they have some rules that are supposed to be followed. Not sure they're always followed though.

Things go both ways though. For example, I never leave the hotel without returning my key, even though it's accepted these days. My thinking is, if I let them know I have left, especially if I have left early, they can turn that room around now.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by jrich7970
It goes the other way too. Much to my surprise, and, actually, delight, that they are so strict.

I was at the Marquis in DC, and I asked for some laundry to be sent up that I had forgotten when I walked in. I had the DND on my door, which I had forgotten about. 15 minutes later, my phone rang, and was the FD telling me that someone with my laundry was outside my door. I'm like, what the?

So, I opened the door, and the staff member told me it was forbidden for them to knock on a door that had a DND on it. The guy had to call down to the FD so they could call me.

I apologized to the guy, and gave him a nice tip for following the rules.

So, at least at *that* property, they have some rules that are supposed to be followed. Not sure they're always followed though.

Things go both ways though. For example, I never leave the hotel without returning my key, even though it's accepted these days. My thinking is, if I let them know I have left, especially if I have left early, they can turn that room around now.
I've actually seen this. They refuse to knock when I order something and have the DND sign up.
However, I want to say this is "higher level" staff than housekeeping. Don't know what these people are called (busboy?)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:03 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
That is standard protocol at any luxury hotel, though as I often sleep at odd times of the day for local time, I wish there was a DND setting on the phone to avoid all but essential calls (i’ll occasionally resort to unplugging).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
That is standard protocol at any luxury hotel, though as I often sleep at odd times of the day for local time, I wish there was a DND setting on the phone to avoid all but essential calls (i’ll occasionally resort to unplugging).
In many hotels, you can call the operator and have a DND put on your phone. This is common in luxury hotels or in places where flights come and go at all hours and guests are likely to be badly jet lagged. In fact, it's sometimes available in lower tier brands too.

I've also had the experience of having a DND sign on my door and then the housekeepers call instead, in particular to ask when I'm leaving if I have a late checkout. From the pattern of calls that hang up after a couple rings, I suspect that some hotels systematically phone all rooms checking out on the current date at the official standard checkout time, despite guaranteed late checkouts and DND signs.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by GoPhils

But they should at least honor the DND sign.

Which in many cases, they don't honor it (quite irritating, IMHO). The other tactic they use is calling your room to see if you pick up, but that doesn't guarantee that you've already checked out.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:21 am

I just love the hangup phone calls right at the regular checkout time when I have a late checkout and my DND sign is on the door. If you're going to call my room, at least please have the guts to identify yourself.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Which in many cases, they don't honor it (quite irritating, IMHO). The other tactic they use is calling your room to see if you pick up, but that doesn't guarantee that you've already checked out.
Some guests may have checked out but forgot to remove DND signs.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
SO? How does that "fact" change the fact that it's courteous for any hotel employee calling the room to identify himself/herself and give a reason for the call?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryK
There's no win situation here. People forget and the property needs to clean the room. I don't expect them to sit around waiting.

Another trick I use is to write a note saying when I expect to leave and fold it to fit the card slot so they'd have to remove it to use the key, so they can't see they didn't see it, and if it's after the time listed fair game to enter.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:53 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RogerD408
There's no win situation here. People forget and the property needs to clean the room. I don't expect them to sit around waiting.
I think most here understand that, but if I (or anyone staying) asked for and received a set late check-out time, then I don't think it is unreasonable for the hotel to "assume" that I will be in the room until that time unless I otherwise notify them.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I think most here understand that, but if I (or anyone staying) asked for and received a set late check-out time, then I don't think it is unreasonable for the hotel to "assume" that I will be in the room until that time unless I otherwise notify them.
This. I can understand knocking with the DND sign up if it is after whatever checkout time the guest had approved. Not before. Heck I've had housekeeping knock at like 9 AM before.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.