Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Booking high end (aspirational) properties at reduced points til 5 March 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Book future Category 8 hotels (85,000 points) at the Category 7 rate (60,000 points) until March 2019.
These were 35K SPG points or the equivalent of 105K Marriott points, with the all suite properties being at least twice that points level.

https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change
Save up to 25,000 points per night when you book future Category 8 hotels at the Category 7 rate until March 2019.

How far into 2020 can we book?
Marriott opens up award availabillity one week at a time on Saturdays. On 1 March 2019 we can book thru 15 Feb 2020.

Hotel list: (thank you, CPRich)
Al Maha, a Luxury Collection Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai
Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort and Spa, Crete
Cristallo, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Cortina d'Ampezzo
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
Giardino Ascona, A Member Of Design Hotels
Giardino Mountain, a Member of Design Hotels
Gramercy Park Hotel, New York, a Member of Design Hotels™
G-Rough, Rome, a Member of Design Hotels
Hotel Cala di Volpe, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Costa Smeralda
Hotel Danieli, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Venice
Hôtel de Berri, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Paris
Hotel Pitrizza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Costa Smeralda
Hotel President Wilson, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Geneva
Hotel Romazzino, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Costa Smeralda
Kenoa Exclusive Beach Spa & Resort, Barra de Sao Miguel, a Member of Design Hotels
Le Méridien Bora Bora
Mystique, A Luxury Collection Resort, Santorini
PalazzinaG, Venice, a Member of Design Hotels
Parklane, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Limassol
Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale
Prince de Galles, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Paris
Santa Marina, a Luxury Collection Resort, Mykonos
Schloss Fuschl, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Fuschlsee-Salzburg
Sir Joan Hotel, Ibiza City, a Member of Design Hotels
Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto
The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician, a Luxury Collection Resort, Scottsdale
The Chatwal, a Luxury Collection Hotel, New York City
The Gritti Palace, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Venice
The Miami Beach EDITION
The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, a Luxury Collection Hotel
The Ritz-Carlton Bal Harbour, Miami
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong
The Ritz-Carlton, Kyoto
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
The Ritz-Carlton, Naples
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo
The St. Regis Aspen Resort
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort
The St. Regis Bali Resort
The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
The St. Regis Deer Valley
The St. Regis Florence
The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort
The St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort
The St. Regis New York
The St. Regis Osaka
The St. Regis Princeville Resort
The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort
The St. Regis Rome
The Wellesley Knightsbridge, a Luxury Collection Hotel, London
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
Vana Belle, a Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
W Koh Samui
W Maldives
W South Beach
W Verbier
Print Wikipost

Booking high end (aspirational) properties at reduced points til 5 March 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Does anyone know if I use the book now pay later option for points booking does that guarantee me the lower number of points?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: SPG LTP (let me live my fantasy), UAL 1K/MM, SWA A-list, Alaska Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Had I remembered the rest of the thread, yes, I see plenty of posts alluding to an unknown date in August, thank you kindly for the reply. The updated award chart was very helpful! My anxiousness to book got the better of me.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
True?

I’ve been chatting to my Ambasador about booking places and she keeps saying it is not true these properties will be at a category 7 level or cheaper after August 18th. I write this off as incapable Ambassadors. But worth noting some confusion. Today she wrote:

“Based on Kathryn's email the rate may go up or it may go down. Since a standard room at The W Koh Samui is a suite we are not sure if there will be special booking instructions for this property. We won't find out until later in August. I am recommending that you book now.”

Don’t we now know the rate will go down???
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by JBauer
I’ve been chatting to my Ambasador about booking places and she keeps saying it is not true these properties will be at a category 7 level or cheaper after August 18th. I write this off as incapable Ambassadors. But worth noting some confusion. Today she wrote:

“Based on Kathryn's email the rate may go up or it may go down. Since a standard room at The W Koh Samui is a suite we are not sure if there will be special booking instructions for this property. We won't find out until later in August. I am recommending that you book now.”

Don’t we now know the rate will go down???
there isn't any information about this so this is as much conjecture as anything else
but w koh samui is a limited participation property so they could very easily pull that excuse
now for standard categories 7 i definitely am more confident in those prices going down
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:22 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Given today, both Marriott and Starwood require "extra" points for awards at all suite properties, I don't see that changing with the new program. Whether Marriott will deal with award upgrades under the new program how they do today (one or more 5K upgrade certs per night), how it works under the SPG program (1K or 1.5K for smaller upgrades to twice the points for a full suite), or some other way, I can only guess. But I'm fairly confident they will have something in place. Which means while the W Koh Samui might be a Cat. 7 in the new program, getting an award room there will almost assuredly mean a base Cat. 7 award plus some extra amount of points for the suite upgrade.

This is my best guess at least.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I was planning on doing 4 nights in Barcelona in Sept and have now decided to go to Venice for 2 nights so I could try out the Gritti Palace and the Danieli. I was able to book the Gritti online for 35K SPG pts, but I had to call in for the Danieli which an agent booked for me for 31,500 SPG pts. (Neither property is now showing availability for base rooms for my 2 dates.) William has confirmed that we no longer need to cancel/rebook to take advantage of the new lower rates, so I should be fine with getting a refund for the Gritti Palace. But what happens to my Danieli reservation since I couldn't book the base rate of 30K points? Will I be able to get some kind of a refund? I'd be happy to pay 60K Marriott pts + 4500 pts for the upgrade if they don't have base rooms available. (I've applied SNAs to both reservations.)
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:04 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I was planning on doing 4 nights in Barcelona in Sept and have now decided to go to Venice for 2 nights so I could try out the Gritti Palace and the Danieli. I was able to book the Gritti online for 35K SPG pts, but I had to call in for the Danieli which an agent booked for me for 31,500 SPG pts. (Neither property is now showing availability for base rooms for my 2 dates.) William has confirmed that we no longer need to cancel/rebook to take advantage of the new lower rates, so I should be fine with getting a refund for the Gritti Palace. But what happens to my Danieli reservation since I couldn't book the base rate of 30K points? Will I be able to get some kind of a refund? I'd be happy to pay 60K Marriott pts + 4500 pts for the upgrade if they don't have base rooms available. (I've applied SNAs to both reservations.)
I have no idea how Marriott will handle those. I have 5 nights at StR Princeville I booked at Specialty Select 32500/night and some 31500 nights at Prince de Galles so I am in the same boat.

By the way will be very curious to hear what you think of Gritti Palace and Danieli. We love Venice so much. In 2007 for our anniversary we split our 14 night stay between those hotels and had an amazing time.
The upgrade Danieli gave us then is to date still our best ever upgrade in many years of travel.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
I have no idea how Marriott will handle those. I have 5 nights at StR Princeville I booked at Specialty Select 32500/night and some 31500 nights at Prince de Galles so I am in the same boat.

By the way will be very curious to hear what you think of Gritti Palace and Danieli. We love Venice so much. In 2007 for our anniversary we split our 14 night stay between those hotels and had an amazing time.
The upgrade Danieli gave us then is to date still our best ever upgrade in many years of travel.
I am also curious to hear of your opinion - I am looking to book 3 nights in Venice later in the year and I am having trouble deciding between the two. Putting the upgrade aside, what did you think about the two? Locations/food/etc? I would really appreciate your insight!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:49 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerman00
I am also curious to hear of your opinion - I am looking to book 3 nights in Venice later in the year and I am having trouble deciding between the two. Putting the upgrade aside, what did you think about the two? Locations/food/etc? I would really appreciate your insight!
This is what I wrote in a 2016 post in the Gritti property thread. That thread is probably best for further discussion comparing both properties.

I love the Gritti in part for its location. It's in a quiet neighborhood, yet by a water stop with a great deck over the water. It's an easy walk to San Marcos Square. Danieli has no water deck, though it has an amazing roof top restaurant with stunning views over the water. The space between the Danieli and the water has thousands of people walking by each hour. It's a boat parking lot with many different boats stopping for various routes. The Gritti is ON the canal so nobody can get in the way of your view. You should walk thru the glorious public space of the Danieli, but for me, it's the Gritti every time.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
List of Cat 7 hotels changing to Cat 8; suggestions welcome

Is there a list of Cat 7 hotels changing to Cat 8 in January? Trying to figure out where to book (and no, not StR Maldives...been there done that).

Looking at May, and Europe. Thought about Mustique, but it doesn’t get that great of reviews. And hubby doesn’t want to go to Bora Bora. Frankly, our favorite so far has been StR Punta Mita. We thought the service was better there and Maldives. Could do October (our anniversary) but then we would want someplace warmer than Europe.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If you like Venice, hard to beat the Gritti Palace. I’ll be doing that and one of the Costa Smerelda properties. I think there is a daily required bug bucks half board for the latter, which may not apply in September (at least at the Cervio).

im also thinking of the St Regis in Florence (although the Westin has given me one if my best upgrades ever).

Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
Ha! We will be at the Gritti Palace on Thursday for 3 nights! Just got 135k points back from the rate drop. And yeah, we like Venice...this will be our 5th trip there since we first went for our 10th anniversary in 2002. Hubby is on a plane as we speak to Europe and I’m meeting him in Venice on Thursday. Coasta Smerelda properties look interesting. Thanks.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by jmkclee
[left]Is there a list of Cat 7 hotels changing to Cat 8 in January? Trying to figure out where to book (and no, not StR Maldives...been there done that).
I'm not aware of any announced category changes in January. New categories just took effect in mid-August, so that would be suprising. Traditional changes take place in April.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Just asking about all Cat 8 properties, which go up in points?

Al Maha, a Luxury Collection Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai
Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort and Spa, Crete
Cristallo, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Cortina d'Ampezzo
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
Giardino Ascona, A Member Of Design Hotels
Giardino Mountain, a Member of Design Hotels
Gramercy Park Hotel, New York, a Member of Design Hotels™
G-Rough, Rome, a Member of Design Hotels
Hotel Cala di Volpe, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Costa Smeralda
Hotel Danieli, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Venice
Hôtel de Berri, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Paris
Hotel Pitrizza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Costa Smeralda
Hotel President Wilson, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Geneva
Hotel Romazzino, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Costa Smeralda
Kenoa Exclusive Beach Spa & Resort, Barra de Sao Miguel, a Member of Design Hotels
Le Méridien Bora Bora
Mystique, A Luxury Collection Resort, Santorini
PalazzinaG, Venice, a Member of Design Hotels
Parklane, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Limassol
Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale
Prince de Galles, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Paris
Santa Marina, a Luxury Collection Resort, Mykonos
Schloss Fuschl, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Fuschlsee-Salzburg
Sir Joan Hotel, Ibiza City, a Member of Design Hotels
Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto
The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician, a Luxury Collection Resort, Scottsdale
The Chatwal, a Luxury Collection Hotel, New York City
The Gritti Palace, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Venice
The Miami Beach EDITION
The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, a Luxury Collection Hotel
The Ritz-Carlton Bal Harbour, Miami
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong
The Ritz-Carlton, Kyoto
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
The Ritz-Carlton, Naples
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo
The St. Regis Aspen Resort
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort
The St. Regis Bali Resort
The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
The St. Regis Deer Valley
The St. Regis Florence
The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort
The St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort
The St. Regis New York
The St. Regis Osaka
The St. Regis Princeville Resort
The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort
The St. Regis Rome
The Wellesley Knightsbridge, a Luxury Collection Hotel, London
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
Vana Belle, a Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
W Koh Samui
W Maldives
W South Beach
W Verbier
jmkclee and SHLTP like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Every time I see that list I cringe. The few good properties that Marriott is bringing to the party are the ones that you get no benefits at, unless you get excited about 1000 pt welcome amenity.

It's like going to a party and you bring the really expensive wine that everyone shares and your neighbor brings the swill which is all you can have. The neighbors have good stuff (albeit not much of it) but you can only get a sniff.
miles4CDG likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.