Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Upgrade my chase marriott credit card, lose 15 elite nights this year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade my chase marriott credit card, lose 15 elite nights this year

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Upgrade my chase marriott credit card, lose 15 elite nights this year

I have always been holding the old chase marriott visa credit card since Sep 9th 2014. So I have one free night certificate and 15 elite nights credit each year with marriott.

In May 10th 2018, I was convinced to upgrade this card to new Marriott chase premier plus credit card. I was told all the benefits would be enhanced. I still have one free anniversary night and 15 elite night credit. However, on Sep 9th I did not received 15 elite nights credit though I received one free night certificate.

Today Sep 13th I call Marriott and Chase for this issue and then I was informed because I upgraded this card before my anniversary date, I do not have 15 elite nights this year. The new chase marriott credit card will grant 15 elite nights to me on Sep 9th, 2019.;

That is not reasonable and unacceptable. I followed Chase's suggestions to upgrade this card but losing 15 elite nights credit this year which did not be mentioned when I decided to upgrade.

After a long long conference phone with Chase and Marriott, Chase supervisor finally transferred this case to department of Marketing and responsed me in 7-10 business days.

So ridiculous.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.
From the small print associated with the premier card, emphasis added by me (see bold): One benefit of your new Marriott Rewards Premier Plus account is an Anniversary Free Night Award e-certificate every year after your account anniversary, valid for a one night hotel stay at a property with a redemption level at or under 35,000 points, instead of the category 1-4 hotel e-certificate valued up to 20,000 points you received on your Marriott Rewards account. Please note that completing this product change may result in a change to the month you receive your annual Marriott Free Night Award e-certificate. Anniversary year means the year beginning with your account open date through the first statement date after your account open date anniversary, and the 12 monthly billing cycles after that each year. For the list of participating hotels where you can redeem the 35,000 points, log on to MarriottRewards.com/Use or call 1-800-321-7396. Please see your rewards brochure, which arrives within 7-10 days of your new card, for more details

I was close to doing the 'upgrade' when I discovered this little tidbit. Instead, when my card comes up for it's annual renewal in Feb I will be cancelling it.
tbm13 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can hope for a favorable one-time gesture when you response comes. But, do not count on it.

It is too late now, but for the benefit of others, always read the contract before you agree.

Last edited by Often1; Oct 8, 2018 at 6:41 pm
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
With the new card, the nights for 2019 should actually post in January. That's no help for this year (yes, it sucks, and yes, they should be more explicit about it), but may help you qualify for next year's status earlier.

I have a November anniversary on my old card, so I'm waiting until December to upgrade.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by copyright1997
From the small print associated with the premier card, emphasis added by me (see bold): One benefit of your new Marriott Rewards Premier Plus account is an Anniversary Free Night Award e-certificate every year after your account anniversary, valid for a one night hotel stay at a property with a redemption level at or under 35,000 points, instead of the category 1-4 hotel e-certificate valued up to 20,000 points you received on your Marriott Rewards account. Please note that completing this product change may result in a change to the month you receive your annual Marriott Free Night Award e-certificate. Anniversary year means the year beginning with your account open date through the first statement date after your account open date anniversary, and the 12 monthly billing cycles after that each year. For the list of participating hotels where you can redeem the 35,000 points, log on to MarriottRewards.com/Use or call 1-800-321-7396. Please see your rewards brochure, which arrives within 7-10 days of your new card, for more details

I was close to doing the 'upgrade' when I discovered this little tidbit. Instead, when my card comes up for it's annual renewal in Feb I will be cancelling it.

Actually I received one free night certificate just missing 15 elite nights credit. There is no any document to mention losing 15 elite nights credit when upgrading chase marriott card before old anniversary date.

I am waiting for responses from Chase and/or marriott. I had already required them to add 15 nights credit into my account manually.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:16 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I also feel for the OP. Unfortunately, the terms and conditions for the new card also state the following (my bolding):

8 Each calendar year a maximum of 15 Elite Night credits will be credited to one of your Marriott Loyalty Program accounts operated by Marriott International (i.e., Marriott Rewards®, Starwood Preferred Guest® or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®) (the “Marriott Loyalty Program”) on or before March 1 in accordance with the Marriott Loyalty Program terms and conditions. To qualify for the 15 Elite Night credits, you must be the primary cardmember and your credit card account must be open and not in default as of December 31 of the prior year and you must be a member in good standing with the Marriott Loyalty Program.
Unfortunately, since the OP's original anniversary date was in September and got the new card in May, based on this, it seems like they might not receive 15 nights until Jan/Feb 2019. If this is indeed how the benefits are working, then anyone whose current card anniversary is in Sept-Dec, might want to wait for their 15 elite nights for 2018 to be credited before updating their card (as long as they do it before Dec 31).

(edit: whoops didn't see @swag's earlier comment which basically says the same thing!)

Last edited by ryw; Sep 13, 2018 at 10:17 pm Reason: repeated info
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Just received the responses from Chase as follows, so Chase will deposit 15 elite nights to my marriott account. Perfectly solved.

Hello ,

Please allow me the opportunity to address your inquiry
about the 15 Nights Credit anniversary benefit.

XXX, we regret the experience you had with your inquiry.
Your Marriott Rewards® Premier account was opened on
September 9, 2013, and the anniversary for your account
(For the calendar year 2018) was on September 9, 2018.
Let me assure you that your account is eligible for the 15
Nights Credit, for your account anniversary in the
calendar year 2018. Please allow six to eight weeks (From
September 9, 2018) for the 15 Nights Credit to reflect in
your Marriott Rewards® account number.
We
appreciate your patience in this matter.

Further, your account ending in XXXX was changed to
Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus on May 13, 2018. Hence,
the anniversary for your account (From the calendar year
2019) will be on May 13 of every year when your account is
open. Marriott Rewards® Elite Status, and terms of the
Elite Status program are determined by Marriott. For
additional information about your Elite Status with
Marriott Rewards®, please contact Marriott directly.

To view or redeem points, please sign in to your Marriott
Rewards account at MarriottRewards.com or call Marriott at
1-800-321-7396 and a representative will be happy to
assist you.

If you need any other assistance, you can send us a secure
message. We appreciate your business and thank you for
choosing Chase.

Thank you,
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Update this case:

I had received the 15 elite nights credit today. Perfectly solved.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
my card anniversary date is 20th november so i'm not attempting to upgrade the card at this moment....the 15 elite nights won't make a difference to my yearly or lifetime totals since i've already crossed 150+ nights for the year & 750+ lifetime nights but i do care about the free night....don't want to jeopardize that in any way....
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I upgraded the card not realizing the fine print... But I did get the free night certificate yesterday.

I have not gotten 15 nights (not sure i did last year either when I opened card). Doesn't matter for lifetime as lifetime pppe.

But I am standing at 74 nights for year with 10+ other nights at Shangri-la and Radisson because of technical issues... So deciding of i should and a nights to get the pkat 75 free night. Probably will.

But would have been nice to have those 15 nights
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:34 am

I was on the fence to upgrade but I think I'm going to keep the old card. For ten bucks, the free night on the new card is much better. However, the 1 elite night for every $3000 is handy. This year I'll be 3-4 nights short of 50 so I've started using the card to generate a few extra nights (better in my opinion than doing a mattress run). I wouldn't normally use the card (or the new one for that matter) regularly.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bachelor0799781
Update this case:

I had received the 15 elite nights credit today. Perfectly solved.
Time to remove thumb down.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Does Chase do a hard pull with the upgrade? My reports are frozen and I would prefer not to unfreeze if it is not necessary
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Double-charged annual fee

My new Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Points VISA had an unusual surprise this cycle for October: a $95 annual fee that I noticed in my online transactions a few days ago.

This would not normally be a surprise, but this card is upgraded from the earlier Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Points VISA, using a Chase offer. For that card, I paid an $85 annual fee in April. I knew there would be a $10 increase in the annual fee, and thought that would be charged as a single upgrade fee of $10.

But now the 2018 Totals Year-to-Date show "Total fees charged in 2018" as $180, $85 more than it should be,

I did call. A CSR at Chase said not to worry, that sometime between now and the end of the year, Chase will reverse one of the two annual fees.

UPDATE: My actual monthly statement shows a credit at the top for $85 for the earlier annual fee. So the CSR was correct. Except the credit was given on the same statement cycle (even if it wasn't clear when I received online notice of the $95 annual fee charge). Worth checking if you see the full additional annual fee for the credit of the earlier annual fee.

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Oct 9, 2018 at 7:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.