Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hôtel de Berri, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Paris (Master Thread)

Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...n-hotel-paris/

Category 7.

"Nestled within a rare green oasis in the heart of the city, Hôtel de Berri, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Paris is located in the fashionable 8th arrondissement. Celebrating the 20th Century's greatest names in decorative arts, the hotel combines the cache of an esteemed private art collection with Parisian elegance to create an authentic and homely atmosphere.Built on the footprint of an avant-garde fashion designer, Elsa Schiaparelli's former residence, Hôtel de Berri has an engaging cultural provenance dating back to the 1900s."
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...n-hotel-paris/

Category 7.

"Nestled within a rare green oasis in the heart of the city, Hôtel de Berri, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Paris is located in the fashionable 8th arrondissement. Celebrating the 20th Century's greatest names in decorative arts, the hotel combines the cache of an esteemed private art collection with Parisian elegance to create an authentic and homely atmosphere.Built on the footprint of an avant-garde fashion designer, Elsa Schiaparelli's former residence, Hôtel de Berri has an engaging cultural provenance dating back to the 1900s."
Surely they mean “cachet.”
MSPeconomist and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The design and decor looks great, but the rooms (particularly the "superior" room) look very, very small even by Paris standards. Also, it would appear that none of the rooms seem to have balconies nor street views.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Checking in to see if anyone has stayed here. A few positive reports on TA but I trust FT much more than TA...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Marriott press release today:

The Luxury Collection Announces the Opening of Hôtel De Berri in Paris | Marriott News Center

Excerpt:

"...Meticulously styled by designer and artistic director Philippe Renaud, Hôtel de Berri features 75 guestrooms, including 35 suites, as well as Italian restaurant Le Schiap and cocktail bar Le Bizazz. The hotel’s preserved 3,000 square metre landscaped garden is a precious legacy of the building’s illustrious past. Hôtel de Berri draws inspiration from the trailblazers of the French Decorative Arts period including painters, designers and stylists from Coco Chanel to Salvador Dalí, with interior designs reflecting the “Art de Vivre” ethos made famous in the heart of Paris. Hôtel de Berri is the only Parisian hotel to feature a Novarina façade,” said Philippe Renaud, who was adamant that the façade be preserved in its entirety. “This unassuming and neutral exterior, spanning 54 metres in length, is the gateway to a magical interior full of aesthetic paradoxes. ......have carved out several different decorative themes and ambiances that present vibrant colours, detailed parchments, ancient Chinese furniture, wrought-iron lamps, sketches and paintings.

Hôtel de Berri’s guest rooms and suites are divided into six categories: Deluxe Rooms, Junior Suites, Signature Suites, Prestige Suites, Berri Suites and the Suite Parisienne. Marble bathrooms feature heated flooring, Skinjay aromatherapy showers, TOTO toilets and luxury Diptyque products. Throughout, the hotel showcases elite pieces of Parisian art and interior design. ...From the Sculpture Room, to the vast Suite Parisienne, and from Le Schiap restaurant to Le Bizazz cocktail bar, Hôtel de Berri offers a timeless sanctuary for international travellers and local Parisians alike."
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The rooms look so small.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:47 am
h2d

I stayed here a few weeks ago so will run through my thoughts. The exterior of the hotel is unusual in the sense it appears to be a converted office block, so the entrance in particular is very nondescript, especially for a 5* hotel - I have to say I have never seen such a set-up before. Once inside however it is clear that a lot of money has been spent, almost everything in the public areas is marble and almost art-deco in style. On the ground floor there is an extensive bar (as in space for 50 or so), which as one would expect was nearly empty mid-week just post opening. Bar is very pleasant, with eclectic seats and it appears they will have live piano/music at times. As a plat at check-in I received a welcome drink at the bar which was reasonable if not memorable (I was allowed to order anything from the menu). The gym downstairs was not-finished when I stayed and is very small and dark (3/4 cardio machines and small rack of dumbbells plus one adjustable bench), there is however a sauna and steam room just before the gym which is relatively unusual in Paris.

With regard to the rooms, the first thing to note is that there are actually more suites than rooms at the hotel which could work well for Plats. Per the poster above the rooms are not huge, however for Paris they are also not particularly small. One limitation of the fact this is an old office block is the room layouts are not ideal - the rooms are fairly standard, however the suites are narrow and long (same width as the standard room but double the length). This means you have the bathroom and bed in the same set-up as the room, with the furthest half of the room from the door acting as the 'suite' part of the room. This is not my favoured suite set-up but you do have a reasonable amount of space as a result once you are past the bed.

The rooms are very high quality finish wise (as you would expect) - iPad operated TV, electronic curtains, full marble bathroom, brand new rain shower, Japanese heated toto toilet. The style was not really to my tastes but I can appreciate the kitsch intention - my room had red walls, four post bed, contrasting carpet etc. Generally it felt like a 5* boutique styled room, the bathroom door was solid metal framed with glass which felt very high quality and there were other nice touches like the fact the TV was hidden behind a mirror and only visible when on. I would however worry that the room will not age well (the W Paris for instance is in awful condition) but time will tell. There was also no view, my room faced another office block.

The staff were obviously new but very friendly, which is not always a given in Paris. I did not have a chance to eat at the hotel.

In summary I think this is a surprisingly luxuriously finished hotel and one I would be happy to stay at again, but it didn't really 'work' for me, especially the building itself. Location is ok but clearly dependent on where you want to be in Paris. Within Marriott/SPG my preferences in Paris remain PdG and Hotel de Nell (I was sad to see Les Bains leave) but I will certainly return to Hotel de Berri next year to see if anything has changed.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by h2d
As a plat at check-in I received a welcome drink at the bar which was reasonable if not memorable (I was allowed to order anything from the menu).
Yes, barkeep, I'll have a glass of the 2006 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne, please.

What was the breakfast benefit?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:10 am
Original Poster

h2d, thanks for the detailed trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've stayed a few times at the Hotel Lancaster which is just down the street towards the Champs-Élysées on Rue Berri. The Lancaster is a real true luxury hotel with amazing and historic suites. I used to stay in the Garbo suite, where she once lived and it was very large and lavishly appointed. I recall in years past walking by the Hotel Berri and it did not look good. That doesn't mean they could not have put in a lot of work to renovate it, but that was just my impression at the time. I hope it does well, but I could not consider it in the same class as the Lancaster.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
I've stayed a few times at the Hotel Lancaster which is just down the street towards the Champs-Élysées on Rue Berri. The Lancaster is a real true luxury hotel with amazing and historic suites. I used to stay in the Garbo suite, where she once lived and it was very large and lavishly appointed. I recall in years past walking by the Hotel Berri and it did not look good. That doesn't mean they could not have put in a lot of work to renovate it, but that was just my impression at the time. I hope it does well, but I could not consider it in the same class as the Lancaster.
Perhaps you could take one for the team & stay there one night & post your comparisons. It's a bit hard to say one is the better w/o direct comparisons, especially if your comparison is from years ago just walking past & not actually staying there From what the press release said, you could also be staying in suites where famous people lived (if that's important to you). It also sounds like they put in some $$ millions into renovating this property, so doubt it's the same as what you walked past a long time ago.

Cheers.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:09 am

Thanks for the review @h2d... any word on the breakfast benefit for platinums here? The reviews on TripAdvisor are very positive about this property.

Looking at this hotel in comparison to the PdG (which won't let me book on points for some reason).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.