Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Combined Program - Chicago Hotel for a Romantic Weekend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Combined Program - Chicago Hotel for a Romantic Weekend?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bfhause
I'm in a similar situation as OP. It would appear that the Gwen and Ritz are pretty similar in both location & price (for the weekend I'm looking at). Seems like the general consensus is the Gwen but how are the Platinum benefits at either?

Also looking at Hotel Chicago, Blackstone (don't love the location) and EMC2. Haven't heard much about Hotel Chicago, does anybody have any insight? Thanks in advance!
Agreed with prior thought about benefits being much better at the Gwen. Have always gotten either a suite or biggest possible regular room there.

Hotel Chicago is fine but a notch down. Similar location (actually very good to take the Blue Line in and walk, if doing it on the cheap). Lounge is fine. I got one amazing UG as a Gold a few years ago but bupkus as a Plat since. Nice design overall though.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Thanks for the detailed response, but what about the air conditioning? :-P Sorry, couldn't resist. And, I'm the same as you in that regard...my wife jokes (but not really joking) that she needs to bring a coat whenever we travel because I like the rooms so chilly.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
The best luxury level hotel is unquestionably the RC...but other luxury options include the Gwen and perhaps the Blackstone, JW, and the Robey. If one likes edge and a good bar scene, the recently renovated W Lakeshore also comes to mind.

For the best service, your best options are the RC and the Gwen.

For the best bar scene, your best options are the RC, the Gwen, the W, and the Robey.

For best Platinum benefits, your best options are the Gwen and W Lakeshore. The RC won’t upgrade you much unless you’re Plat Premier and there are fewer elite benefits at any RC. The Robey is a Design Hotel, and that brand doesn’t provide many benefits at all.

The Blackstone and JW are much more business type hotels with locations reflecting that. I wouldn’t want to stay at either when there so many better options now available. The Hotel Chicago is older and dated and wouldn’t be considered romantic in this context either.

If you love Art Deco, stay at the Gwen.

Overall, I’d recommend the RC or the Gwen.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Do the Gwen. It's a Cat 5 that will likely rise to Cat 6 in future years. Fantastic all around. ~14 credit pp good for a full breakfast. Newly renovated and very chic.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:35 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Thanks for the detailed response, but what about the air conditioning? :-P Sorry, couldn't resist. And, I'm the same as you in that regard...my wife jokes (but not really joking) that she needs to bring a coat whenever we travel because I like the rooms so chilly.
The Gwen air con worked great for our stay in Dec 2017. I’ll be at the RC in April and will test for certain.

If in doubt, always ask for a written confirmation in advance from the hotel that it can guarantee a bedroom temperature that you require. Any luxury hotel that can’t do that is one I typically avoid.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dcstudent
OT, but I guess this means your wife isn't having hot flashes.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
There is currently a major hotel strike in Chicago. The list of hotels includes several hotels discussed in this thread.

The list of properties is here:

https://www.chicagohotelstrike.org

Regardless of how you feel about crossing picket lines, there are likely to be serious service disruptions at hotels whose workers are on strike.

Let's hope — for everyone's sake — that this labor dispute is settled soon.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Thanks all for the help. Decided to do two separate weekends (one in December and one in February). Booked the Blackstone for one weekend and the Gwen for the other. Will report back if I can successfully search for this thread (and in the individual property threads).
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:13 am

Just stayed at the gwen with my GF a few weeks ago and could not recommend it enough. Great customer service, clean rooms, great views, and overall a wonderful experience. The only downside is no lounge (there is a cont. breakfast option) but there are too many good breakfast/brunch spots nearby to pass up anyway. Enjoy the Gwen, it will be a great weekend!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.