Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Combined Program - Chicago Hotel for a Romantic Weekend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,

Hi all, trying to decide where to stay w/ Mrs. Dcstudent for a romantic weekend in Chicago. Am Plat, but going to pay $$$ for room I want so not worried about suite upgrade. I've stayed at both Westins and the Sheraton for work and neither fit the bill for this stay. Am a sucker for historic hotels and a good lobby bar so leaning towards The Blackstone, but the JW, Renaissance and Gwen are in the running as well. Ritz tends to be too stuffy for us but if this one is particularly amazing would be willing to try.

Thanks for any help!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Hi all, trying to decide where to stay w/ Mrs. Dcstudent for a romantic weekend in Chicago. Am Plat, but going to pay $$$ for room I want so not worried about suite upgrade. I've stayed at both Westins and the Sheraton for work and neither fit the bill for this stay. Am a sucker for historic hotels and a good lobby bar so leaning towards The Blackstone, but the JW, Renaissance and Gwen are in the running as well. Ritz tends to be too stuffy for us but if this one is particularly amazing would be willing to try.

Thanks for any help!
I like the JW and get great upgrades there but its really a business neighborhood so I'd take it out of the consideration. The Ren is great for walks on the river. Not sure about the Blackstone or the Gwen.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you like the style of Ws?

IIRC there was a thread on exactly this question started within the last month and the OP chose the Gwen.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Gwen has IMO a much better location than the Blackstone
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:04 pm
BCH

The Gwen is my hands-down favorite in Chicago. It's romantic, you can hang out in the lobby bar and/or rooftop bar and enjoy yourselves. And it's very convenient to everything else you want to do in the city.

The Robey is another cool hotel. It's away from the tourist parts of the city, in the bucktown neighborhood. But it's cool, has a rooftop terrace with drinks and views. And the neighborhood has plenty to do for a leisurely day.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK it doesn't have a chain affiliation yet, but the Chicago Athletic Club hotel is in an amazing historic building with an interesting bar/restaurant. Unfortunately it's located in the loop.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Hi all, trying to decide where to stay w/ Mrs. Dcstudent for a romantic weekend in Chicago.
You didn't mention what you plan to do in Chicago. I assume you'll leave the hotel during your visit. Chicago has so much to offer.

The Blackstone is convenient to the Art Institute of Chicago and the Field Museum, but it's not much of a location for dining choices. The JW Marriott is convenient to Willis (Sears) Tower, and the Art Institute of Chicago, but it's more of a business location than a leisure location, and there's not much going on in the area in the evening.

I like the location of Hotel EMC2, Autograph Collection. It's certainly not a historical hotel, but I like its style.

I've never been in the Gwen, Luxury Collection, but it seems like a great choice.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:48 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
W Lakeshore. Great views, and a very happening lobby bar. Especially good for a romantic weekend.

Gwen would be my second choice.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If staying downtown EMC2 and Blackstone are both gorgeous. Blackstone has a decent lounge in the basement. Both have wonderful decor and bathroom products. Blackstone is very close to the Chicago Athletic Hotel mentioned above so you could stop by there for dinner. EMC2 is closer to Mag Mile shopping and Navy Pier.

That said, I strongly suggest you consider Robey if you’ll want to venture away from downtown at all. It’s much more connected with local culture - bookstores, clothing, local restaurants, music venues, independent coffee shops - than you’ll find downtown. It’s also a straight shot on the Blue Line from O’Hare.

Avoid the loop (eg the JW) as the neighborhood mostly shuts down during the weekend.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you like the style of Ws?

IIRC there was a thread on exactly this question started within the last month and the OP chose the Gwen.
Sorry, I saw that thread, but it seemed to be more about Platinum treatment - including upgrades- and I'm not at all concerned about that as I'm likely to book a suite with $$$. I'm more concerned with overall hotel atmosphere.

As for Ws, I like them if they are good Ws as opposed to tired Ws. For instance W Barcelona over W Montreal (which used to be awesome, but now falls short on F&B and Staff and is no longer a popular hangout in Montreal).

Thanks for the input!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Oh yeah, we'll head out. Arrive Friday, leave Sunday afternoon. We've been to Chicago multiple times since moving from DC to Toledo but have always made it a long day trip - this'll be our first overnight. I'll have to check out the EMC2. Thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by Horace
You didn't mention what you plan to do in Chicago. I assume you'll leave the hotel during your visit. Chicago has so much to offer.

The Blackstone is convenient to the Art Institute of Chicago and the Field Museum, but it's not much of a location for dining choices. The JW Marriott is convenient to Willis (Sears) Tower, and the Art Institute of Chicago, but it's more of a business location than a leisure location, and there's not much going on in the area in the evening.

I like the location of Hotel EMC2, Autograph Collection. It's certainly not a historical hotel, but I like its style.

I've never been in the Gwen, Luxury Collection, but it seems like a great choice.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I'll take a look at the Robey. Sounds like a neat neighborhood to hang out in. Only plans so far are the Shedd Aquarium and Wildberry Pancakes and we have to issues with using public transit so I'll take a look.

Originally Posted by getagb
If staying downtown EMC2 and Blackstone are both gorgeous. Blackstone has a decent lounge in the basement. Both have wonderful decor and bathroom products. Blackstone is very close to the Chicago Athletic Hotel mentioned above so you could stop by there for dinner. EMC2 is closer to Mag Mile shopping and Navy Pier.

That said, I strongly suggest you consider Robey if you’ll want to venture away from downtown at all. It’s much more connected with local culture - bookstores, clothing, local restaurants, music venues, independent coffee shops - than you’ll find downtown. It’s also a straight shot on the Blue Line from O’Hare.

Avoid the loop (eg the JW) as the neighborhood mostly shuts down during the weekend.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Thank you. I'll take a look at the Robey. Sounds like a neat neighborhood to hang out in. Only plans so far are the Shedd Aquarium and Wildberry Pancakes and we have to issues with using public transit so I'll take a look.
Robey is super cool, great neighborhood, right next to Blue Line stop so easy transit into River North/Loop/Lake. Also close to the Violet Hour, one of the coolest cocktail bars you will ever go to (make a reservation!)
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
I'm in a similar situation as OP. It would appear that the Gwen and Ritz are pretty similar in both location & price (for the weekend I'm looking at). Seems like the general consensus is the Gwen but how are the Platinum benefits at either?

Also looking at Hotel Chicago, Blackstone (don't love the location) and EMC2. Haven't heard much about Hotel Chicago, does anybody have any insight? Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:55 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The best luxury level hotel is unquestionably the RC...but other luxury options include the Gwen and perhaps the Blackstone, JW, and the Robey. If one likes edge and a good bar scene, the recently renovated W Lakeshore also comes to mind.

For the best service, your best options are the RC and the Gwen.

For the best bar scene, your best options are the RC, the Gwen, the W, and the Robey.

For best Platinum benefits, your best options are the Gwen and W Lakeshore. The RC won’t upgrade you much unless you’re Plat Premier and there are fewer elite benefits at any RC. The Robey is a Design Hotel, and that brand doesn’t provide many benefits at all.

The Blackstone and JW are much more business type hotels with locations reflecting that. I wouldn’t want to stay at either when there so many better options now available. The Hotel Chicago is older and dated and wouldn’t be considered romantic in this context either.

If you love Art Deco, stay at the Gwen.

Overall, I’d recommend the RC or the Gwen.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 11, 2018 at 10:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.