Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott handling of SPG-approved BRG rules: what to do now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott handling of SPG-approved BRG rules: what to do now?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Could you sue? I’m not sure you can sue for points which aren’t a recognised currency, but even if you can the Courts may accept Marriotts explanation, which whilst you may not agree with it, does have a certain logic.
Can’t see any logic in retrospectively using later T&C for the BRGs confirmed under different T&C. As many have noted above, Marriott did not try do the same thing when BRG discount went from 20% to 25%: suddenly, old T&C were honored. Exchange rate was set by Marriott itself and that was the only exchange rate universally used for everything for many months until the merger was complete.

I am not a lawyer, but I am pretty sure if a company violates it’s offer (and Marriott inherits legal obligations from SPG), it can be sued for that. Those of us having non-refundable bookings made with SPG cannot say now “Oh sorry, SPG is no more, give us back our money”, right? So why Marriott can?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Can’t see any logic in retrospectively using later T&C for the BRGs confirmed under different T&C. As many have noted above, Marriott did not try do the same thing when BRG discount went from 20% to 25%: suddenly, old T&C were honored. Exchange rate was set by Marriott itself and that was the only exchange rate universally used for everything for many months until the merger was complete.
The BRG award follows the rules in force at the time the reward is due. If one chooses the rate discount the reward is due at the time of claim approval and it will follow the rules in force at that time. If one chooses the bonus points as the BRG reward they will be due only after the BRG stay has been completed and, thus, will follow the rules in force at that time and not those that were applicable when the BRG claim was approved.

Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:43 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

You have an admirable ability to twist logic, MPP! So the 10/20/25% BRG reward is “due” at the time of claims processing, not at check-out, when payment is made? But the 2k/5k points reward is “due” at check-out, after the approved rate has been paid? That’s pretty brilliant!

Personally, I have found a pretty satisfying solution for this scenario, as well as all the other times Marriott screws up: I leave 1-star reviews on TripAdvisor. I make sure to accurately describe my hotel experience, rate that, and then explain how Marriott’s cheating/incompetence has caused me to rate the stay a 1-star. I’d rather have the 2k Starpoints I was promised (or be able to book in the first place without jumping through hoops, receive proper stay credit, or whatever the issue may be), but I’ve found that I derive just enough satisfaction from leaving 1-star reviews that I don’t ponder silly lawsuits or desire to expend energy dealing with Marriott’s insurmountable “customer service.” You and your friends like to tell us there’s nothing us consumers can do in face of Marriott’s awesome power; I would argue that there is a way for the little man to make their voice heard (and I have emails from GMs to back this up).
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
It depends on definition of "normal" here. Marriott is breaking T&C and violating their offer here by stripping us of 1000 points. So it is not normal in a sense of compliance with regulations. But it is what they do now: I have not seen a single case reported that someone got 6000 points for BRG after the merger.

After going several rounds with escalations and filing a complaint with BBB I have an impression that the only way to force them honor their offer would be a legal action. If you live in US, you may consider small claims court.
What was the result/response from the BBB complaint?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoPhils
What was the result/response from the BBB complaint?
Result – none. Marriott once again confirmed they are not going to honor original points amount and not going to discuss it further. BBB can't do anything. After second reply from Marriott saying they won't reply on the matter again, BBB closed the case.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Result – none. Marriott once again confirmed they are not going to honor original points amount and not going to discuss it further. BBB can't do anything. After second reply from Marriott saying they won't reply on the matter again, BBB closed the case.
It's amazing how they used that amount of time to not to give you 1000 points - very bad customer service.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:28 pm

Extremely poor show on Marriott's part.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:15 am
Original Poster

That's basically it. To make clear, "no further compensation" phrasing is misleading, making one think there was some compensation offered. Nothing at all. By "compensation" they mean those 1000 points that they should have given me according to pre-merger BRG T&C.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier

The BRG award follows the rules in force at the time the reward is due. If one chooses the rate discount the reward is due at the time of claim approval and it will follow the rules in force at that time. If one chooses the bonus points as the BRG reward they will be due only after the BRG stay has been completed and, thus, will follow the rules in force at that time and not those that were applicable when the BRG claim was approved.

”Effective December 1, 2018, the Look No Further Best Rest Guarantee does not apply to Design Hotels branded properties.”

Presume that means that anyone with a previously approved BRG at Design Hotels should expect 0 points if they chose the 5000 pts instead of the 20% discount.

Last edited by margarita girl; Dec 3, 2018 at 8:44 am Reason: Fixed error
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
”Effective December 1, 2018, the Look No Further Best Rest Guarantee does not apply to Design Hotels branded properties.”

Presume that means that anyone with a previously approved BRG at Design Hotels should expect 0 points if they chose the 5000 pts instead of the 25% discount.
It was 20% discount for Design hotels i believe. But yes, doesn’t look good. However, if they DO still give the points then that would mean there’d be a case for the original issue above perhaps.

I won’t be staying at Design hotels from now on, not that the elite benefits were worth it.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:11 am

Presume that means that anyone with a previously approved BRG at Design Hotels should expect 0 points if they chose the 5000 pts instead of the 20% discount.
I don’t see why it should be any different. However, the choice of language (“effective December 1”) suggests to me that Marriott will aply the rules in force prior to this revision to claims approved before Dec. 1 (though language is not very clear). Had they simply redrafted it as “DH properties are not part of the BRG program” I would have no doubt that no points were due from now on, regardless of when a claim was approved.

It’s really the way things are. If anytime between BRG claim approval and the stay, a property leaves MR do you really expect to receive a BRG points-reward on that stay? MR reserves the right to discontinue the LNF program at any time effective immediately — if that were to happen would you expect to get BRG points for previously approved claims not yet stayed?

LNF is there for one purpose — rate matching. LNF rewards (25% off matched rate or bonus points) are available if certain requirements are met (up to 3 rooms, limitations on back-to-back stays, etc.) and always according to the what’s in force at the time the LNF reward is due. Those are the rules as per the T&C.

Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:24 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit

I have an upcoming stay at a Design hotel in January 2019 with BRG approved in November 2018 and I chose 20% discount. If I follow the logic of how they handled the 5k points vs 6k points for BRGs approved before August 18 and stays after August 18, then I guess they will tell me my BRG for my Design Hotel stay in January 2019 will now be cancelled and I have to pay the original rate?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

I wonder why they chose to do this. Seems a little strange when they already had the process in place. I hope this isn't a sign of more bad things to come.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:47 pm

Thumbs down

And of course this happened in typical Marriott fashion. Page was update on Monday, December 3rd so they made this adjustment back in time.
I submitted a claim for a design Hotel on Dec 1st (page had no information about the change) and now claim was rejected and no option given to cancel.

I tried really hard not to hate this company, but its just disgusting how things are done.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by thomasito
And of course this happened in typical Marriott fashion. Page was update on Monday, December 3rd so they made this adjustment back in time.
I submitted a claim for a design Hotel on Dec 1st (page had no information about the change) and now claim was rejected and no option given to cancel.
This is terrible. I would ask the Lurkers to intervene on your behalf.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.