Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Brisbane [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Anybody has stayed at these places?

W location is better, but W is a bit too funky for our taste. W also does not have lounge. Breakfast is among the amenity options to choose from at check in.

Marriott Brisbane seems to locate at the edge of CBD in a not so nice area. Quite outdated room decor. It has a lounge but can't find much information about the quality.

Would appreciate the information from those who have stayed at either one.

Last edited by hhoope01; Oct 11, 2018 at 3:34 pm
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
For what it's worth, I stayed at the Marriott Brisbane back in 2014 and the area around it seemed safe enough to me (albeit with a fair bit of construction). The room itself was fine too considering that I was really only there to sleep. Can't comment on the lounge.

Of course, it's very possible it's gotten worse since my stay, so maybe others with more recent experience can chime in.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Aadvantage Platinum
I spent last weekend at the W. I was upgraded to a suite (currently LTP). Front desk staff is great. Breakfast was great, but I only thought the restaurant was so-so for dinner. That was my first stay at a W - the style probably isn't my favourite, but the room was fantastic. Room service was good. Bars were loud both Fri and Sat nights, but very pleasant during the day.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Aadvantage Platinum
Also, re the Marriott. I haven't stayed there, but I live in Brisbane. YMMV, but that area of the CBD seems fine to me, and I wouldn't hesitate to walk with my fiancé there. Easy walk to either Eagle Street Pier or under the Story Bridge into New Farm.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy lt Titanium, UA lt Gld MM, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold!
Stayed at the Marriott several years ago, but then switched to the Sheraton Four Points, which is beside the under construction Westin. They're all in the CBD. Area is nice and quite safe in my experience (there 1x to 3x a year for the past 3-4 years). The 4P is a basic room but the breakfasts are fantastic....
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the update on 4P. I notice the Budget/Avis rental car in town office is just around the corner from 4P - this makes it super convenient for us to do one day rentals. I think we would go with 4P instead. It is also 50% cheaper in points comparing to W, another plus.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Which is nicer W Brisbane or Westin?

I have a 3 day stay there right after Christmas. Which is a nicer hotel? it is hard to tell from reviews.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
The nicer hotel is at present the W.We stayed just after the opening and did find it quirky but unlike other Ws we have stayed at it didn't irritate us.
The restaurant-3 blue ducks-is one of the best hotel restaurants in Australia but single diners might feel a little left out.Definitely take breakfast as your amenity.fabulous.
The W is convenient to the shopping mall,4P and when it opens the Westin convenient to the Eagle Pier restaurant precinct.the Marriott is just a little further away but also not difficult to stroll to New Farm and fortitude Valley.
So the W.first the room.

The mini bar.
Views.

Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:13 pm

Dinner. .
Shared a dozen Tassie oysters-the best in the world.they had a ginger and finger lime dressing which really was perfect with the oysters.
We then had the slow cooked lamb shoulder.the menu said for 2 to share.Maybe growing young fellows but probably 4 of our age.it came with a very nice salad of squash,zucchini,onion,mint and peas.
The lamb was so tender,moist and tasty.pity we couldn't finish it.We also got sides of the duck's cauliflower cheese and garlic and rosemary roasted chats which were perfect.
There is a balcony with tables.The view again great.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:32 pm

Breakfast. Juices,fruit,yoghurts etc.Then various mueslis.
Asian condiments and bowls of congee and other asian inspired items.
Cold cuts then bacons and tomato.
roast pumpkin with honey miso glaze and pomegranate.Pork sausages and chorizo.
House hot smoked salmon.absolutely delicious

Not pictured hot items with mushrooms,black sausage,baked beans(made fresh) and an egg station with dishes made to order.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We stayed at 4P. Westin was opened for business the day we checked in 4P. It is separated with 4P by an entry way to the underground garage. So location-wise, the 2 are identical.

With 4P at 1/2 of the point cost it is enough saving for us to choose 4P over W. The breakfast at 4p has almost all the things pictured above although not as elaborately displayed. They dont have good cereal selection if this is your thing. They have a cook constantly making sunny side up with careful attention to various doneness (far better than what Sheraton on the Park in Sydney did). The cook also can make your egg dish request as well as other requests that are relatively easy. I asked to have some wilted spinach and the cook happily did that for me.

W is too quirky to us even not considering the 100% higher point cost. W is very close to the North Quay station for the free City Hopper (the terminal station on one end). 4P/Westin is very close to the Eagle Street Pier station.
Location wise, 4P/Westin is closer to the city center where the shops and local eateries are (the Queen Street Mall - pedestrian area).
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I have just finished a stay at the Westin and have to say I was very disappointed. I should also say that we are legacy SPG loyalists and that Westin is our personal favorite in the chain However, this is a great example, IMHO, of design by somebody who never has to use the product. From the outset the entrance by car is confusing. The Drop Off is signposted ( although only with a small sign and only if you travel in the direction whereby the hotel is on your left. If you approach with the hotel on the right the entrance actually looks like an exit and is not signed as a Drop Off or Entrance from that direction. This leads to an expectation that the gap in the curb that you see just past the hotel is the entrance. When you drive a few yards further and realize that it is not you are forced into a complex drive around the block, which if you are not familiar with the city can be confusing. Better signage would resolve this and as it is a new hotel, maybe this will improve with time.

The entrance to the hotel is actually cluttered and small and shares space with the lobby bar/ cafe. In fact there is only a pane of privacy glass between the Reception Desk and the bar itself, which I suspect could cause noise issues if the bar gets rowdy. The bar itself , The Charles, is apparently " Aviation themed", although the only aviation item I could see were a 3 blade propeller logo on their beer mats and the beer pump for their signature ale and lager. It is very trendy in appearance but ergonomically unsound. The couches are uncomfortable and the tables so low that the poor servers have to squat right to the ground in order to place drinks/ remove glasses etc. It is open along one side to Mary Street, which creates a little ambiance. Another design flaw was that guests who arrive on foot are channeled right through the bar to get to Reception, complete with bags etc, as the entrance is hidden around the side. We witnessed this several times an a short period while having drinks, which given the small space available, seemed strange. In contrast with the rather small and cluttered Reception area there appeared to be far more space behind, between the Reception/Bar area and elevators, so this seems to be a case of all style and less function.

The rooms were modern, small ( compared to the Brisbane Marriott where we stayed the week before) but shiny and new. The desk area was very small though. The design was typical Westin and of course the bed was the typical Westin haven of comfort. Some of the excess pillows that the Heavenly Bed typically has were missing but that was no loss as far as I could see.

The breakfast in the restaurant was good but perhaps one of the most sparse we came across in Australia, with only the Four Points in Sydney having less. It was more than adequate, however, and included all of the normal hot and cold items you'd expect, as well as an egg/ waffle station but, at a charge of $43 AUD pp with taxes, was less than you might expect. Breakfast was included as a Platinum and I only saw the price when I was asked to sign for it each day, with the assurance that it would be removed from my bill at check out.

It has a lounge on the 3rd floor overlooking the street and pool, with canapes in the evening, along with soda and beer or wine only. The selections were an Australian Cabinet Sauvignon/ Merlot blend, I believe a Semillon white and a Sparkling wine. The beer was Peroni. Not an Australian beer to be found. If I contrast it with the Marriott Lounge they had a choice of 2 reds, 2 whites and a sparkling, all of the identical brand/ label as the Westin. The Marriott also had 2 Australian beers IIRC, or maybe 1 and a Heineken or something. Finally the Marriott had gin, rum, vodka, whisky and I think 1 other liquor, as well as a daily cocktail. The canape selection at the Marriott is also considerably better, refreshed more frequently and varied even during the same evening.

I never used the gym/ pool but the pool could be seen from the lounge. It was small and very similar to that at the Marriott.

The biggest differences, however, were in service and specifically platinum treatment. In the two weeks we had in Australia every hotel upgraded us into either a suite or junior suite, or at least the best room available. The Westin declined our SNA and upgraded us to the Executive Floor, but with no view and 2 Queens. There were at least 3 better categories of room available for the entirety of our stay ( excluding suites), which makes a mockery of the best available room guarantee. Admittedly the view options wouldn't be much ( they describe river views being available but it's hard to imagine more than a peek between adjacent towers). It wasn't a huge issue and I put it down to inexperience but in hindsight some of the other room types available would have had a few more square feet so perhaps I should have.

The Welcome gift was where the Westin seemed to fall short with both other Marriott hotels in Australia and with their nearest direct Starriott comparison in Brisbane, the Marriott itself. At 3 other Starriott properties we were offered both breakfast in the lounge or the full buffet in the restaurant AND a gift of either points or a choice of food and drink amenity. The choice at all hotels was a bottle of wine AND a food option such as a choice of chocolates, cheese platter, nuts etc. We were typically presented with a sheet upon which to select our welcome gift. I checked at all that this was in addition to breakfast and was surprised to find it was. At the Westin the food choice was similar but the drink choice was a single glass of wine for 2 guests. We confirmed that this was still in addition to breakfast, just like we had become used to, even though this is obviously over and above what SPG/ Marriott had/ does expect. What wasn't made clear was that this only included breakfast in the lounge, even though we specifically asked if we could have the full breakfast in the restaurant. As we checked in for breakfast each day I confirmed that our rate did indeed include breakfast and we were reassured that it did (because they had us sign for $86 each day, although with a reassurance that it would be removed at check out). At check out a Manager informed us that we should have eaten in the lounge but did remove the items from the bill. There was no hesitation in having it removed but it was accompanied by a frown from the manager and the clear impression that they were doing us a big favor. Of course why anybody would willingly give up $172 over 2 days in return for a glass of wine and a cheese platter should make it clear that there was a misunderstanding.

I know this is long winded but as this is a new hotel I though some might appreciate as much detail as I can remember. In summary, having spent 2 nights at each of the Marriott and the Westin I would agree that the Westin is more Central but the Marriott is only a few blocks further out. The bar, restaurant and lounge, as well as full breakfast buffet are all superior at the Marriott. The public areas at the Marriott are more dated but at the same time more functional. We had an updated room at the Marriott and felt that, although not as modern as the Westin, this was compensated for by better views and larger rooms. The price was within a few dollars between each. The Platinum recognition was better at the Marriott. The staff were also friendlier and more polished at the Marriott but the Westin is a new hotel and should improve with time. I also felt that the Marriott throughout was both more welcoming and would recommend it over the Westin. The Westin also seemed more "penny pinching" than we experienced anywhere else in Australia ( 5 Starriott properties).

Last edited by Fizzer; Nov 27, 2018 at 11:49 pm
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Finished a stay at Brisbane Marriott in the fall. I have to say I was disappointed. The hotel is in desperate need of a renovation, and the executive lounge was mediocre. I would not recommend the hotel.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Marriott Brisbane. The W Brisbane is Fantastic!

If you go to Brisbane do not miss this hotel. Upgraded to a gorgeous 1 bedroom. Three Ducks RestarNt is beyond words. The buffet breakfast is huge and among the near I have had at a hotel anywhere. Fantastic staff and a great location.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:36 pm
Suspended

which to choose between Marriott and Westin? It looks like Westin has larger space and nicer furnishing however from many reports Marriott had nicer happy hour options and breakfast?( one report indicated small lobster in the evening HH)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.