Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 23, 2000, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott

delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 10, 2007 at 10:52 pm
Old Aug 23, 2000, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Define "better."

My impression -- having planned a trip for a few weeks from now, but not actually been there -- is that the Renaissance is the nicer of the two for a tourist, given that it's got harbor views; on the other hand, the Marriott is more convenient to the central business district.

I'll be in the Renaissance.
Old Aug 26, 2000, 1:59 am

I just stayed in the Renaissance. I didn't even see the Marriott, but I thought that the Renaissance was plenty convenient. It is literally 1 block from Circular Quay station, which means convenient to ferries to the zoo (don't miss it on a nice day), Darling Harbour, and the Captain Cook coffee cruise. It's also close to The Rocks and doesn't cost AU$400/night like the Hyatt. I thought it was very nice, and the service was excellent.
Old Sep 30, 2000, 12:12 am

Programs: BA LTG GGL, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT
Sydney hotels

I know this question has been posted before but I didn't see any replies.

What is the Sydney Renaissance like? I know it has a good location, but does anyone know what the rooms are like?

How does the hotel compare to the Marriott there?

Thanks for any help you could give.
Old Jan 31, 2001, 3:40 pm
pjs

Sydney/NSW Marriott Rewards Options

We are going on vacation down under in late August and will be spending a week in the Sydney area. I currently have gold status with Marriott and probably will be platinum by August. I have 2 questions:

1) Which property is more desirable in Sydney - the Marriott or Renaissance? We are more interested in convenience to major attractions & transportation and having a decent place to sleep rather than a luxury hotel (so we will pass on the Ritz and stretch our points.)

2) Has anyone out there in FT land ever used the Marriott Rewards option (33k/night) to stay at the Pepper's Fairmont Resort in the Blue Mountains? I stumbled across this award on the website and the resort looks spectacular. It may be the perfect way to spend the last couple of days of our vacation.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Jan 31, 2001, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Rudi stayed at the Rennaisance last wekeend. I dropped him off to check in at about 2am Sunday after a night on the town, and he flew out early that morning, so not sure what he can tell you about it, but ask. His travel notes are at:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/001489.html

What I can tell you is that hotel is right on Circular Quay and at the mouth of The Rocks, and of course is in Pitt Street.

The Marriott is well across Hyde Park, almost in Paddington. Miles of walking to see what you'll want to see as a tourist.

Pepper's Fairmont always offering price deals locally. I personally think you'd be nuts 'paying' 33K night, but they are your points! We should talk about a 'gifting' deal I think, for my NY stay.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Feb 1, 2001, 9:16 am

Originally posted by pjs:
Which property is more desirable in Sydney - the Marriott or Renaissance?
IMO, Renaissance beats Marriott hands down location wise.
Old Feb 1, 2001, 12:16 pm

Have stayed at Sydney Marriott about a year ago(for a 5 night award stay) and we loved it! I agree about the location but staff was terrific. The lounge was wonderful with plenty of free aussie beer and wines, hugh breakfast and evening food arrays, even skipped dinner a few nights. I will go back there next trip to OZ.
Old Feb 2, 2001, 7:19 am
pjs

Thanks for your help. I booked a 5 night award at the Renaissance and am still undecided about the Pepper's. That award is not capacity controlled, so it shouldn't be a problem to get closer to the time.

Paul
Old Feb 4, 2001, 12:13 pm

the Renaissance is the best by far!

The Marriott is not convenient to anything but the Australian Museum and the business district... so if you are going for fun the Renaissance is where you want to be.

A block and a half from Circular Quay and a few more to the Rocks - all you need is there. The tours bus (Sydney or Bondi Explorers) are a great deal and stop right at the Quay. Take the ferry to Manly on your first day - while you are a little groggy from the flight. There enjoy a walk along the beach and a few beers at the pub.

Besides... the Renaissance takes less points that the Marriott. Also - the Renaissance Club Lounge has the nicest Concierge I have met in awhile... nice breakfast spread. Each time I stay there... I end up with a view of the Opera House!

Enjoy!
Old Feb 4, 2001, 3:34 pm

THe Peppers Fairmont, is a "large" boutique resort. The cost of a room is around $220 AUD standard, with some specials bringing it abit lower.

It is worth staying, but I would probably just pay in AUD. Nice rooms, and scenicly great !!!

The Resort would probably be 4 to 4.5 stars.
Old Mar 16, 2001, 6:59 am
msb

Sydney Marriott

Can anyone tell me how the Sydney Marriott is? I'm booked there for 4 days in May and am looking for recommendations. Is it an easy taxi or bus ride from the airport?

Also, I planned one night (after my DRW-SYD flight) on the way home at the Airport Hilton. But yesterday I received the Marriott offer for the 5000 point bonus for 2 separate stays with a Fri/Sat/Sun, so I was thinking of diverting for that one night back to the Marriott. I shouldn't have any problems getting to my 10AM flight to LAX, right? Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2001, 2:18 pm

It's fine, but nothing special. It's well-located, though, and, yes, it's an easy taxi to/from the airport.

Just a suggestion -- the Ritz-Carlton (not the one on Doublebay) has some great rates and is a much nicer property. You might want to check them out.

One tip for Sydney: be sure to have breakfast at least once at Bill's in Darlinghurst. The banana ricotta pancakes are, without question, the best pancakes I've ever had in my life.
Old Mar 16, 2001, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
It is also an easy bus ride from the airport if you are so inclined. The bus stop is just across the street from the hotel.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
LAX, LHR, CDG, et.al.
Old Mar 16, 2001, 5:46 pm
msb

Thanks for the input. Probably worth the 5K bonus!

Regards,

Mark

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.