Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors Elite Benefits Grid Update (Sticking It To Marriott Rewards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors Elite Benefits Grid Update (Sticking It To Marriott Rewards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
On 20th anniversary of Hilton program, I got a paperweight w/ my original (still) HH#.
Hmmm. I became an HH member in March 1989 and have maintained my account ever since, with various status ranging from basic member to Diamond (usually Gold), so on the 20th anniversary (September 2007) I think I was probably Gold (I recall getting upgraded and access to the lounges in Rabat and Yaounde about that time) but I don't recall receiving a similar paperweight. Would you have been a Diamond then?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
BTW for Hilton fanpeople - they just downgraded their suite language from "will receive upgrades" to "may receive upgrades".

https://onemileatatime.com/hilton-di...upgrade-terms/

Again - give away top tier for (net) free with a CC, and this is the type of outcome you get.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
BTW for Hilton fanpeople - they just downgraded their suite language from "will receive upgrades" to "may receive upgrades".

https://onemileatatime.com/hilton-di...upgrade-terms/

Again - give away top tier for (net) free with a CC, and this is the type of outcome you get.
T and c don't even matter as much as treatment. I doubt anyone lost sleep over the will or may, or ever even used and referred to the will before,nor does anyone care or know about this wording.

SPG prides itself on wording and had a best room available guarantee and didn't even deliver on that, you'd have to beg and demean yourself and show them the app and even then they would say it doesn't match actual room inventory.
​​​​​​
Yep hand out cc for free (laughable you call it free as these people make the credit card company and Hilton a lot of money) and take away resort fees and add breakfast.

Marriott take away fast tracks and take away more benefits, lol
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mingzie
T and c don't even matter as much as treatment. I doubt anyone lost sleep over the will or may, or ever even used and referred to the will before,nor does anyone care or know about this wording.

SPG prides itself on wording and had a best room available guarantee and didn't even deliver on that, you'd have to beg and demean yourself and show them the app and even then they would say it doesn't match actual room inventory.
​​​​​​
Yep hand out cc for free (laughable you call it free as these people make the credit card company and Hilton a lot of money) and take away resort fees and add breakfast.

Marriott take away fast tracks and take away more benefits, lol
Between this and your Rewarding Events "issues" - seems like Hilton may be a better program for your needs.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mama
how many breakfasts do you have to eat, just to earn back your $450 annual fee?
Originally Posted by scubadu
IMHO, FTer's tend to be way, way over indexed on breakfast, almost bizarrely so.
Like I said, not many people are savvy enough to realize the full value of all the benefits of the card.

You also get $250 airline credit + $250 hilton resort credit + $100 hilton incidentals credit + Diamond status. Then, the first year you get the 150k hilton points signup bonus, which alone is worth way more than the annual fee.

So to answer the question, I need zero breakfasts the first year, and then need one breakfast every year after that.
Happy likes this.

Last edited by Explorer789; Sep 11, 2018 at 9:37 pm
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Between this and your Rewarding Events "issues" - seems like Hilton may be a better program for your needs.
Can you please stop turning threads into a personal vendetta / insult. Discuss the issue like a man.

All you contributed was posting some worthless blogger clickbait that wasn't exciting or ever referenced by anyone in the first place.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:17 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Can you please stop turning threads into a personal vendetta / insult. Discuss the issue like a man.
I am skeptical that one’s genitalia is as important in this discussion as you seem think it is.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

I am skeptical that one’s genitalia is as important in this discussion as you seem think it is.
Its not, just wanted to be cheeky and ironic. Carry on, haha

​​​​
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All you contributed was posting some worthless blogger clickbait that wasn't exciting or ever referenced by anyone in the first place.
Well, this guy is probably 1a or 1b among well known bloggers - and it was pertinent to the thread. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not worthy of adding to the discussion.

Hilton downgraded their suite upgrade language. Case closed. It is a lesser program than Marriott by far. Is that manly enough? SMH.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
I have to say overall this is a good change from Hilton and over the last 2-3 months I have been staying at them more as a Diamond member and overall I have been impressed. To start with I thought I was imagining it or getting lucky but I would say there has been a substantial improvement on my experiences at hotels as a Diamond with upgrades and late checkouts, not having to fight for either. It has happened to many times to simply be an accident now I feel so I think there is a directive from higher up from within Hilton to improve things for Diamond members.

Is this related to the Marriott merger of SPG who know, maybe its just coincidence but I am historically about as loyal a SPG person as you will find and currently I find Hilton the better proposition than the new combined Marriott / SPG. It seems Hilton has decided to make life less complicated with the no resort fees and included breakfast just at the time Marriott makes theirs complicated! As a bonus Hilton has a promo running and with the Lufthansa promo alongside its all pretty good, Marriott's promo at the moment, oh they don't have one apart from basically cause headaches for their members!

If I find Hilton a better option, it must mean either Hilton are doing a lot right currently or Marriott really are screwing up! I feel its both!
I feel the same way, Hilton never gave suite upgrades where SPG did, but with hilton I normally get lounge access ( and they are getting better) along with rooms on the executive floor. With the new Marriott I assume they will promise upgrades but rarely deliver because of the shear numbers of elites. Along with all the IT and program changes and issues.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by troyintn
I feel the same way, Hilton never gave suite upgrades where SPG did, but with hilton I normally get lounge access ( and they are getting better) along with rooms on the executive floor. With the new Marriott I assume they will promise upgrades but rarely deliver because of the shear numbers of elites. Along with all the IT and program changes and issues.
I have actually found in the last 3 months Hilton to be far better with suite upgrades! Marriott were always terrible but they didnt promise them so will be interesting to see if there is a change in that regards going forwards both at exSPG hotels being less generous or Marriott being more. Overall however with the whole Marriott Breakfast complexity compared to Hilton which seems simple and in the UK better I am leanign that way and that is something even a year or so ago I could never imagined even thinking let alone doing!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Explorer789
Like I said, not many people are savvy enough to realize the full value of all the benefits of the card.

You also get $250 airline credit + $250 hilton resort credit + $100 hilton incidentals credit + Diamond status. Then, the first year you get the 150k hilton points signup bonus, which alone is worth way more than the annual fee.

So to answer the question, I need zero breakfasts the first year, and then need one breakfast every year after that.
As I mentioned on FT, someone made a prepaid booking about $210 at a DT paid with his Aspire card - he received the credit against his $250 hilton resort credit automatically! It seems because the prepaid is billed by Hilton corporate central billing system, AMEX coded it as the same as the Hilton resorts! This adds another interesting twist to the benefits. We know the airline credits are easy to do, but with this fresh DP, may be the resort credit is just as easy!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
As I mentioned on FT, someone made a prepaid booking about $210 at a DT paid with his Aspire card - he received the credit against his $250 hilton resort credit automatically! It seems because the prepaid is billed by Hilton corporate central billing system, AMEX coded it as the same as the Hilton resorts! This adds another interesting twist to the benefits. We know the airline credits are easy to do, but with this fresh DP, may be the resort credit is just as easy!
Yeah, I've seen that DP before. At least for me, I have a trip coming up later this year and the city has a Hilton resort, so planning to stay a night or two there to use up the $250+$100 credits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.