Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum Elite - pick 5 elite nights or 5 suite nights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Working on it

Current Platinum Elite, but should reach 65-70 elite nights by EOY.

Is there that much difference in PP vs PE? I’m thinking of selecting the 5 elite nights to get me (closer to achieving 75 elite nights.)

If I don’t hit 75, I’ve burned the chance to get the 5 suite nights with current status.

What is is more valuable in your opinion: 5 suite nights or achieving 75 elite nights?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BB8ATLSteve

Is there that much difference in PP vs PE? I’m thinking of selecting the 5 elite nights to get me (closer to achieving 75 elite nights.)

If I don’t hit 75, I’ve burned the chance to get the 5 suite nights with current status.

What is is more valuable in your opinion: 5 suite nights or achieving 75 elite nights?
If you think the 5 elite nights are what will make the difference between platinum and platinum premier then the 5 night credits are a no-brainer because you can just pick 5 SNAs as your 75 night benefit.
JackE, SPN Lifer and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
I would pick 5 elite nights if it can help make me PP without too much stretch.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by BB8ATLSteve

You don't have to make your selection until the end of the year. So just wait and see if the 5 Elite nights will make a difference or not.
nexusCFX and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott-LT Titan; Hilton-Gold
I am Lifetime PP now and just passed the 50 nights in 2018 needed for the first threshold gift. I obviously don't need the 5 elite nights for status purposes (and I don't have a shot at Ambassador), but I would like to get the 1 free night at the 75 night threshold and may have trouble getting to 75 nights by year end given a sharp reduction in travel planned for the balance of year. So would the 5 elite nights help me get to the 75 needed for the next gift level where I can get that 1 free night or do they truly just count toward elite staus and are not included in the calculation of the 75 nights needed to get to the next gift???? I would assume the elite night ticker is the same as the gift level "ticker"- so the answer would be that they would help me- but I have a little doubt in my mind and fear they may look at true nigts stayed versus the elite ticker that currently include includes things like carryover nights from 2017 and now maybe these bonus nights. So I throw it out to you guys for some possible insight. If the answer is that they won't help me get to the 75 for the free night, then I will chose the suite upgrades- but for me, I am mostly in non-full service hotels so the upgrades likely not be of much use for me.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxMiles
I am Lifetime PP now and just passed the 50 nights in 2018 needed for the first threshold gift. I obviously don't need the 5 elite nights for status purposes (and I don't have a shot at Ambassador), but I would like to get the 1 free night at the 75 night threshold and may have trouble getting to 75 nights by year end given a sharp reduction in travel planned for the balance of year. So would the 5 elite nights help me get to the 75 needed for the next gift level where I can get that 1 free night or do they truly just count toward elite staus and are not included in the calculation of the 75 nights needed to get to the next gift???? I would assume the elite night ticker is the same as the gift level "ticker"- so the answer would be that they would help me- but I have a little doubt in my mind and fear they may look at true nigts stayed versus the elite ticker that currently include includes things like carryover nights from 2017 and now maybe these bonus nights. So I throw it out to you guys for some possible insight. If the answer is that they won't help me get to the 75 for the free night, then I will chose the suite upgrades- but for me, I am mostly in non-full service hotels so the upgrades likely not be of much use for me.
Yes, the 5 Elite nights would count towards the gift ticker. You can hold off on making your selection to see if it really will get you across the threshold.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: MPC -> QFF
If we wait until January 1st to select the 5 Elite nights, would they then count towards the 2019 re-qualification of Platinum?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fluffydot
If we wait until January 1st to select the 5 Elite nights, would they then count towards the 2019 re-qualification of Platinum?
No. Many SPG people were burned when they attempted that. The Elite nights will be retroactively added to your 2018 total. Sorry
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Should I have been offered my Platinum choices for 2019 by now?
After I combined accounts, I have 103 nights this year, but I have not seen any communication or anything on the website asking me to select my options for next year.
I assume I should get to select the 50 and 75 night options.

Edit:
Nevermind - I found a link when I select Platinum Premier Benefits on the pulldown under my name.
It said Sign in to choose your benefit. It took me to choice-benefit.marriott.com.
Zacnlinc likes this.

Last edited by shawneve; Sep 17, 2018 at 8:30 am
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm a n00b to SNAs. I'm sitting on 70 total nights right now, will easily go over 75 this year.

My questions:
- Do SNAs expire? If I redeem right now, does that make them expire 12/31/2019? Is there any timing that would involve me holding off on selection and getting ones that expire 12/31/2020?
- Do SNAs actually yield suites, assuming you aren't using them in completely max-peak situations? (OK, I realize this question might be hard to answer. I never get suites at Marriott as a Plat, now LTPP.)
- Can I hold off on selecting my Plat 50 award and have *two* gifts to select when I pass 75 for the year? I don't think I'll hit 90 nights, but would it be worthwhile to then take the elite nights and get PP w/A? (I *think* I'd rather have 10 suite nights than the ability to call a concierge, but I never had SPG Ambassador so I don't know if there's something I'm missing here.)
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm a n00b to SNAs. I'm sitting on 70 total nights right now, will easily go over 75 this year.

My questions:
- Do SNAs expire? If I redeem right now, does that make them expire 12/31/2019? Is there any timing that would involve me holding off on selection and getting ones that expire 12/31/2020?
- Do SNAs actually yield suites, assuming you aren't using them in completely max-peak situations? (OK, I realize this question might be hard to answer. I never get suites at Marriott as a Plat, now LTPP.)
- Can I hold off on selecting my Plat 50 award and have *two* gifts to select when I pass 75 for the year? I don't think I'll hit 90 nights, but would it be worthwhile to then take the elite nights and get PP w/A? (I *think* I'd rather have 10 suite nights than the ability to call a concierge, but I never had SPG Ambassador so I don't know if there's something I'm missing here.)
- This year's SNAs will expire on Dec 31/19.
- Yes, they do work. When you apply them, you get offered a list of suites that you would like to be upgraded to. You select the ones you are interested in. Some properties, like the Renaissance BCN will give you the option of being upgraded to an Executive Room. 5 days before arrival, the system will begin checking for availability and award you the suite if it's available. This is completely out of the hotel's hands. They only choose which suites (room, in the case of Renaissance BCN) go into the upgrade pool.
- I believe you can hold off on selecting your gift as some people have reported being over 75 nights when merging their accounts, and selecting 2 gifts. Ambassadors are hit or miss. Some are excellent, some are not.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marriott Plat.
Question

Have been trying to discern just exactly what are suite nights? I see that I need to choose suite or elite nights. So if I choose 5 suite nights does that increase my chances of getting a suite? Will be in Mexico on award nights so on those nights could I still be awarded a suite? That would be super! Have over 100 nights so far this year.
Thanks as I feel so dumb not to understand this new merger!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tatmtr7
Have been trying to discern just exactly what are suite nights? I see that I need to choose suite or elite nights. So if I choose 5 suite nights does that increase my chances of getting a suite? Will be in Mexico on award nights so on those nights could I still be awarded a suite? That would be super! Have over 100 nights so far this year.
Thanks as I feel so dumb not to understand this new merger!
Per the FAQ:

Suite Night Awards will be available for Platinum Elite Members who stay 50 nights and Platinum Premier Elite Members who stay 75 nights as an option within their Annual Choice Benefit. A Suite Night Award is a one-night confirmable upgrade to a standard suite or select premium room, depending on the hotel’s availability of those rooms. The number of Suite Night Awards used must match the entire length of stay; it cannot be used for part of a stay (e.g., the first two nights of a five-night stay). Once you request to use your Suite Night Awards for a stay, we’ll check the upgrade availability starting five days prior to arrival and keep checking every day until 2 p.m., hotel local time, on the day before your arrival. We’ll let you know either way if we’re able to confirm the upgrade or not. If it is not available, we’ll return the Suite Night Awards to your account.
You might be awarded a suite without SNA. SNAs just put you higher in the pecking order as they can clear 5 days before arrival.

Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marriott Plat.
Thank you so much for your explanation! Now I get it! Wondering since we are staying 5 nights on awards should I use the suite nights ? Do I just call reservations or can I do it online? If I am correct there is a expiration of the award. We are staying at a W resort in Mexico.
Again thanks for taking the time to explain! And effort!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tatmtr7
Thank you so much for your explanation! Now I get it! Wondering since we are staying 5 nights on awards should I use the suite nights ? Do I just call reservations or can I do it online? If I am correct there is a expiration of the award. We are staying at a W resort in Mexico.
Again thanks for taking the time to explain! And effort!
You're supposed to be able to do it online, but since Aug 18, who knows!

I would check the master thread to see if people are getting upgrades.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-thread.html

Or this one. (Check previous years too.)

Post Your SPG Platinum Upgrade Successes 2018

Also check to see what upgrades are offered with the SNA. (Some properties offer you an upgrade to an Executive Room. Looking at you Renaissance BCN. )

Depending on what you find, and how important the stay is to you, you can make a decision whether to apply the SNAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.