Marriott platinum for United 1-Ks!

Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
What's a 1-K? Is that something you file with the SEC, like a 10-K?
I hope it's not a K-9 either. There are already too many emotional support dogs in hotels, we don't need more to just reassure folks that they're really elite.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope it's not a K-9 either. There are already too many emotional support dogs in hotels, we don't need more to just reassure folks that they're really elite.
People who are actually in the business elite don't actually have status anxiety, they'd rather spend time with friends/kids/etc.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO it can't happen quickly enough. Even LTPPwithAMB (and $20,000+ spend) only gets UA *Silver.

They aren't downgrading those people until their status expires next year either. So why shouldn't it work two ways? All that they said is that if you already had Marriott Gold because of Rewards Plus, you get to keep platinum until it expires in Feb.

This is so ridiculous .. just feeding the populist belief that unearned/gifted status materially impacts those people that have earned it.

-David
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by LIH Prem

This is so ridiculous .. just feeding the populist belief that unearned/gifted status materially impacts those people that have earned it. (when it doesn't).

-David
Agree. Additional verbiage & underlining mine.

I know a well-known & respected FTer who has access to Marriott lounges due to UA promo. He's primarily a Hilton/IHG guy, but occasionally will stay at MAR due to gifted (pre-8/18) Gold status. He stayed 2 times, yup only 2, in the last year at MAR properties & one of the 2 properties didn't have a lounge, so he got free brekkie in the restaurant instead. As someone noted up thread, if they're not staying enough to get status the hard way, odds are they're not staying enough to really impact other elites regardless of the wailing & moaning on the forum.

Cheers.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
As someone noted up thread, if they're not staying enough to get status the hard way, odds are they're not staying enough to really impact other elites regardless of the wailing & moaning on the forum.
There are FT members in the UA forum who are convinced that overcrowding in the UCs is caused by the 2 free single-entry passes Chase cardholders receive every year.

The biggest issue causing Marriott lounge crowding IMO is lounges that are too small, particularly at large properties (e.g., Marquis San Diego).
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
The biggest issue causing Marriott lounge crowding IMO is lounges that are too small, particularly at large properties (e.g., Marquis San Diego).
I beg to differ. For many year lounges were well-filled, but rarely if ever overcrowded. Since the UA nonsense started lounges are routinely overflowing. I can't wait for 2/1/19 to come around when this will finally end. What made it worse was the *W Gold matching; now that is already gone so hopefully between now and 2/1/19 there is already a noticeable decrease in crowding.
Within my function at my company location I know many colleagues who got MR Gold through UA and they stay maybe 10-15 nights a year. Great deal for them, but no wonder benefits and lounge amenities are being reduced at many places. I am hopeful that in 219 things will be back to normal!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

+1 Marquis San Diego is the worst lounge experience I've had. On our 3rd and last morning there, my husband said, "I'm not doing that again" and we went out for breakfast.
Of course I haven't been to the Times Square Marquis which has been reported to be exponentially worse!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:00 am

I'm still platinum...is that supposed to happen?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by OCedHrt
I'm still platinum...is that supposed to happen?
yes, downgrades happen some time in February, usually latest by March 1st.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.