Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Platinum Challenge General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Hi! Just learned today from FlyerTea (apparently a Chinese version FlyerTalk) that Marriott has platinum challenge available again. The requirement is 16 nights before 12/31 for platinum elite or 8 nights for gold. The information is posted by the Starwood Lurker there. I called Marriott a few minutes ago and the CSR confirmed that the platinum challenge does exist now (after initially saying there's no such challenge). The original post on FlyerTea says award stays also count, but the Marriott CSR says they have to be qualified paid stays, therefore I didn't sign up. (Was hoping to get platinum by using two 7-night TP certificates later this year but apparently not possible.)
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Oh no.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:22 am
soy

Programs: various
Now reported on BA via GSTP blog. He claims he got his info from Marriott. Some further details to what was posted above;
Can do once every 3yrs
Do not need any elite status to enroll.

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/201...num-challenge/
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Who on earth would be mad enough to do 8 nights for Gold?
anam and Lizie like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:52 pm

The confusing part is whether award stays count. According to FlyerTea, Marriott CSRs in China are explicitly saying they do, while CSRs in the US insisting that only paid stays count. For people using their 7-night certificates, this challenge could be really easy.

Last edited by ezak; Sep 5, 2018 at 2:52 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Curious if status is granted during the challenge period, or only after the challenge has been met?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:41 pm

Words are you only get status after completing the challenge. So no Platinum benefits during the 16 nights.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:24 pm

Fresh DP here: Marriott CSR confirmed that 1) award stays do count; 2) no status during the challenge; 3) 90 days to complete (though I've read somewhere the actual deadline is 12/31). Asked for a confirmation email and was told it would come in 24 hours. Will share if that email entails further info such as official T&C.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
how to sign up?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:30 pm

https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...hallenge-2018/
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by ezak
Fresh DP here: Marriott CSR confirmed that 1) award stays do count; 2) no status during the challenge; 3) 90 days to complete (though I've read somewhere the actual deadline is 12/31). Asked for a confirmation email and was told it would come in 24 hours. Will share if that email entails further info such as official T&C.
Ask if a successfully completed challenge counts as a year of status for lifetime status purposes....
Seabilly likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:04 pm

Just call the 801 number and HUCA if necessary. Some agents know this program well while some may have no idea what you're talking about. Luckily I got one today who's really on top of it and immediately located the clause about award stays.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:04 pm

I just called in and was registered within 20 minutes, including wait time. The CSR was not aware of the challenge but managed to find information on it. The end date is 12/31/2018 and they gave me the option of stays or nights. When I inquired about how many stays were needed, the CSR did not know so I opted for nights. I will probably call back in a day or two to confirm everything.

Last edited by bearsdidit; Sep 5, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I wonder if current Platinum members or previous members who took platinum challenge before are eligible?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jayson86
I wonder if current Platinum members or previous members who took platinum challenge before are eligible?
Do a Platinum challenge from Platinum?

As for previous challenges, post #3 above says it can be done once every 3 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.