Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Am I supposed to receive a free night certificate? (August renewal SPG credit card)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
SPG AMEX Ts and Cs:

The Free Night Award will be automatically deposited into your loyalty member account within 8-12 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date in the form of an e-certificate. You will receive an email from SPG to the email address listed on your loyalty member account confirming that the Free Night Award e-certificate has been deposited into your loyalty member account. The email will also provide instructions on how to redeem your Free Night Award e-certificate. To redeem the Free Night Award e-certificate, you must log into your loyalty member account and apply the e-certificate during booking. The Free Night Award e-certificate will expire after 1 year from issuance. E-certificates may not be transferred, extended beyond the expiration date, or re-credited for points.
Print Wikipost

Am I supposed to receive a free night certificate? (August renewal SPG credit card)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, I found friend's email dated Aug 19th on the SPG FN posting.

<< Got an email from AMEX about my Marriott free night certificate worth 35k. I logged into my account and it seems I click on the "start booking" tab to book my free night.

My closing statement date is September 6, 2018, >>

Seems you need the link from an AMEX email.

EDIT -

asked friend the details

This is where you will find your FN available

<< American Express account, click on amex Spg then clicked on benefit and there was a button to click to book free night. Saw this b4 September 6th closing date (annual fee) >>

Good luck everyone.
jrm68 and 84fiero like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
No sign of email. It’s a month since my renewal. I know there’s really no point in contacting Amex yet since they will likely just point to TS and ask me to wait.

With the new certificate was your friend able to book both mariott and SPG hotels? I still have an old mega bonus Cert and was told it’s not possible to book SPG hotels yet.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SP03
No sign of email. It’s a month since my renewal. I know there’s really no point in contacting Amex yet since they will likely just point to TS and ask me to wait.

With the new certificate was your friend able to book both mariott and SPG hotels? I still have an old mega bonus Cert and was told it’s not possible to book SPG hotels yet.
She has not tried to book but she sees the cert is AVAILABLE on the AMEX site - Go to the Card Benefits of your SPG card, and there is a button next to the Free Night description if it is available. My AF is not until October so I do not see the button but hers is Sept 4th, and she has seen the button 2 weeks before that.

Have you gone to your SPG card benefits to check?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:07 pm
JBD

AMEX told me that Anniversary Date is not the same as date annual fee posts

When I called AMEX on August 23 among the issues I addressed was the free night cert - since my annual fee posted August 20. So she looked up my anniversary date and said it was a date in July, and that the annual fee posted at the close of my statement for my July/August cycle, which was on August 20. She said it's the anniversary date which is used to mark my eligibility not the date the fee posts, and that I'll get my first free night cert after my anniversary date in July 2019. And that for this year I'd get the 5 night stay credit as per the old T&Cs.

I hope she's wrong about her facts (some of what she told me has already proven erroneous), because I'd much more appreciate the free night cert - but, I do see on my account the 5 night stay credit which would seem she was correct.

For those of you with annual fees that posted in August but who have yet to receive the Free Night, check your stay credit. Do you see an added 5 nights?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by JBD
When I called AMEX on August 23 among the issues I addressed was the free night cert - since my annual fee posted August 20. So she looked up my anniversary date and said it was a date in July, and that the annual fee posted at the close of my statement for my July/August cycle, which was on August 20. She said it's the anniversary date which is used to mark my eligibility not the date the fee posts, and that I'll get my first free night cert after my anniversary date in July 2019. And that for this year I'd get the 5 night stay credit as per the old T&Cs.

I hope she's wrong about her facts (some of what she told me has already proven erroneous), because I'd much more appreciate the free night cert - but, I do see on my account the 5 night stay credit which would seem she was correct.

For those of you with annual fees that posted in August but who have yet to receive the Free Night, check your stay credit. Do you see an added 5 nights?
I got the free night credit in the beginner of the year. I didn't know you get it with anniversary.

No mention of the free night under Amex website, other than a link to Learn More.

Very disappointed in how this is being rolled out. When I called to cancel my card in July, I was told I would get a free night cert in August, so I sure hope I would get it.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The confusion makes me to dig up the email AMEX sent regarding the card benefit changes. The email I received is dated August 1st.

It goes by Anniversary Date with the Cut Off being August 1st. If your anniversary date is on or after August 1st you will get the Free Night Award this year. Else it would be in 2019.

Originally Posted by SP03
Still haven't received mine either. My annual fee posted on 8/13
The annual fee post date has nothing to do with anniversary date.
You would need to go back your records on when you opened the card to find the anniversary date. AMEX chat rep can tell you this too. Unfortunately I am almost certain that your anniversary date is BEFORE August 1st unless you had a very short billing cycle on the first month but that is not AMEX style. Hence you most likely are not eligible for the Free Night Award in 2018.

If you are being told so, I hope you have kept good record on the call. Then call AMEX to request a supervisor, ask to pull the phone record because you are being misinformed on the eligibility of Free Night Award. You may get a one-time courtesy of some form of compensation. Worth a try.

Many people do not realize that AMEX bills annual fee on the closing date of the 13th billing cycle. In fact it seems everyone on this thread has mistaken the annual fee posting date is the same date as anniversary date. It is not!

If your annual fee is posted sometime in August, chances are your anniversary date was before August 1st, therefore would not receive the Free Night award until 2019. You would be waiting in vain for your Free Night Award as it would not come in 2018.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 15, 2018 at 1:32 am
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Yikes, so instead of being among the first... I get to be among the last to get the certificate during the program's first year. Should've just closed the card in July like everyone else.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:03 pm

My annual fee was posted in August, but Amex chat confirmed I opened my account on August 12, some years back. My free night award has not yet posted... will keep an eye on this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, I talked to the friend again - this time I realized she has MISUNDERSTOOD completely on the screen of Card Benefit. She kept telling me there was a box to click and then it brought her to FN booking screen with a Start Booking green box - what she totally omitted was the not so small print on the AMEX screen... Sigh.

This is what AMEX showed on the Start Booking Screen

After your Card account anniversary, your Free Night Award will arrive as an e-certificate that can be viewed on the Activity page within your account. Free Night Award e-certificates can be used in combination with points when booking your stay. For example, use a Free Night Award e-certificate for the first night and use points for the balance of your stay. Select hotels have resort fees.How To Use Your Free Night Award

1. Select 'Use Points' in the hotel search form on SPG.com.
  2. A list of hotels will display; make your selection and then choose a standard room
  3. In "Reservations Details," select option to use your Free Night Award e-certificate(s).
  4. NOTE: When using your Free Night Award e-certificate(s), you can only book one room at a time. In some cases, you may receive a message to call before using your e-certificate(s).
AMEX is telling us the FN cert comes as an eCert that would show up in our SPG account activity page, and not inbedded in AMEX card as this friend have thought so all along.

In other words, said friend have NOT received her Free Night Cert. In fact she does not even understand her AF posting date has nothing to do with the anniversary date. Fortunately it is Sept 4th, so that means most likely the anniversary is after Aug 1st, therefore eligible for this year's FN cert.

The Next Question is, given we have NEW SPG numbers now, as well as some of you have combined your accounts, just how AMEX can link the old account to the new account? From my reading, you have to call AMEX to give them the new SPG account number, or the combined account number, so the SPG card's earned points can be correctly posted.

I suspect this would be the same for the FN cert to correctly deposit to our accounts.

Whoever have been eligible to receive the FN cert already, may want to call AMEX to update your SPG numbers. Else you may just keep waiting and would not see anything.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:44 pm

Can the SPG free night be used for both SPG and Marriott hotels? I have a free night from Marriott and was told it's still not possible to redeem it for SPG hotels.

I can't imagine Amex SPG cardholders would be happy to get a free night cert that cannot be used at SPG hotels
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Happy

The Next Question is, given we have NEW SPG numbers now, as well as some of you have combined your accounts, just how AMEX can link the old account to the new account? From my reading, you have to call AMEX to give them the new SPG account number, or the combined account number, so the SPG card's earned points can be correctly posted.
This is incorrect. I have been receiving my points from Amex (albeit late like everything else at Marriott) and I have not notified them of my new number. FAQ also says there is no need to notify Amex.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do I use SPG Amex Annual Free Night?

I can't seem to find anything about how to use the annual free night benefit on the SPG Amex card. How does it work?

THanks
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:52 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I can't seem to find anything about how to use the annual free night benefit on the SPG Amex card. How does it work?
Check out post #24 . Happy's post should answer your question.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All right, so I'm trying to book a hotel (the DTW Westin). I click Use Points. There is an available rate of 35,000 points/night. If I click it, there's no Details page with an option for using my certificate. Am I doing something wrong?

My annual fee for my SPG Amex posted this past month. Do I just need to wait longer? When have other peoples' certificates shown up?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
All right, so I'm trying to book a hotel (the DTW Westin).
My annual fee for my SPG Amex posted this past month. Do I just need to wait longer? When have other peoples' certificates shown up?
I don't think anyone has received their cert yet. Amex says 6-8weeks after the anniversary. Chase deposits them when the AF hits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.