Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Remind me why I should stay at Ritz-Carlton now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

What exactly changed for those of us who are now Platinum Premiere. We don't get breakfast? No lounge access? Maybe a category room upgrade? I don't understand why I should stay at a Ritz-Carlton now...
aceboy44 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
LC and StR for me!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
What exactly changed for those of us who are now Platinum Premiere. We don't get breakfast? No lounge access? Maybe a category room upgrade? I don't understand why I should stay at a Ritz-Carlton now...
Nothing changed
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe because the hotel is nice? Why let the tail wag the dog?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:14 pm

Because they have beautiful properties, excellent service, and great lounges. Yes, you may have to pay for all of that. But luxury isn’t intended to be cheap.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: Some
I understand still not offering lounge access, as RC lounges operate in a very different way to lounges at most Marriott properties (albeit there are some hotels on the former-SPG side which have lounges that are fairly similar but do grant access for status).

No breakfast just feels cheap, however and I'm not sure how long this will be defensible as a policy, particularly now i) Hilton has relented and gives free breakfast at WA properties and ii) it's possible to get free breakfast at many proper luxury properties now such as MOs through their new programme.

You also forgot that fact that you can't apply SNAs at RCs in the new programme as well, despite the fact they have probably the most standard suites available of any Marriott brand!
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I was happy to take Berlin Marriott (admittedly one of the best in the world) over the RC next door. 15k points cheaper, lounge and 4pm check-out. I have stayed at this RC before so I know the difference.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Raffles
I was happy to take Berlin Marriott (admittedly one of the best in the world) over the RC next door. 15k points cheaper, lounge and 4pm check-out. I have stayed at this RC before so I know the difference.
When I had that choice I did RC, but only because I had a cheap 150 EUR rate w/breakfast. It was fine...but I was not super impressed.

RC vs. StR vs. LC would most likely be vacations for me (vs. paid stays), but the generally lesser treatment at RCs make it a semi-stay away if I have other choices.

As Gary would say, "I am not my rate!"...if I am spending $20K or so on my work trips, I'd like to have the benefits when on vacation.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
I particularly fail to understand the restrictive policies at RC given that StR and LC are now part of the same program and somewhat comparable, so the same should apply to the elite perks. Am sure market pressures will force them to align somewhere along the way (hopefully that doesn‘t mean removing the perks at the others ).
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:55 am

Likewise I’d take the JW over Ritz Carlton next door in Kuala Lumpur... if not for JW actually having a higher corporate rate than Ritz Carlton!
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Nothing!
Expect the fact that I'm not a big fan of the RC definition of luxury, they are no reasons to stay there as an elite member.
Poor upgrade, no lounge access and no butler.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:13 am

I just completed two stays at Ritz Carltons this month. Overall, a good impression. One property was much better than the other. On both occasions got pretty good suite upgrades.

I was surprised that RC doesn’t have daily bed linen change as a brand standard. Not even, as happens on StR and other SPG legacy properties, the bedside table card to opt-in for daily bed linen change. They simply would not change the linen for the entire duration of the stay.

That is very surprising for a top luxury property.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Honestly, Marriott has to have brand consolidation sometime in the future and I expect RCs to get re-branded as something else.. maybe not StR but there's nothing that stands out when I've stayed at a RC. What are they known for?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by izzik
Honestly, Marriott has to have brand consolidation sometime in the future and I expect RCs to get re-branded as something else.. maybe not StR but there's nothing that stands out when I've stayed at a RC. What are they known for?
Their style, including the "ladies and gentlemen of the RC" way of referring to their employees. Their properties used to have dress codes.Also their lounges.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I made the same choice for a stay in November!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.