Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Wow, So I emailed my SPG Ambassador to confirm that I qualified for Platinum based on my 25th SPG stay that I just completed last week. Her response was that they are no longer counting stays against platinum status as of aug 2018 and I would need to get 50 nights by 12/31 to qualify for Platinum. She is wrong, right? And to think you would get correct information from an Ambassador!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital
Now two months since I should have been Platinum and no further word on anything. Am I hopeful that Marriott IT will figure out the SPG Double Stay promo before tomorrow night's stay?

Not counting on lounge access...
If your status is based upon legacy rules then the January sweep should catch that. It seems as of August 18 only the new rules are being applied. You might get some traction if you contact MPG and make your case, but many CSRs are unable/unwilling to push changes through their system.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Wow, So I emailed my SPG Ambassador to confirm that I qualified for Platinum based on my 25th SPG stay that I just completed last week. Her response was that they are no longer counting stays against platinum status as of aug 2018 and I would need to get 50 nights by 12/31 to qualify for Platinum. She is wrong, right? And to think you would get correct information from an Ambassador!
Just like many CSRs, even ambassadors can be inflicted with the typical "find a way to say no" attitude. You can try pushing back to get them to actually research the situation, or make a request for a new ambassador, or maybe send your details to the Lurkers asking them to assist. Bottom line, she is wrong, there is plenty of messages from MPG that you can qualify on stays. Now the down side seems to be anything outside the new rules will wait until they do the January sweep. A good ambassador may be able to push through a change early, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, Aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by RogerD408
If your status is based upon legacy rules then the January sweep should catch that. It seems as of August 18 only the new rules are being applied. You might get some traction if you contact MPG and make your case, but many CSRs are unable/unwilling to push changes through their system.
Long since done. Most recent response from a week ago was that it was being looked into.

The check in person today noted that there have been tons of ongoing IT issues.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:35 pm

Just finished my 25th stay in SPG legacy properties. Already knowing they have tons of IT issues going on, and I have 2 stay under this year's Double Stay and Points program. Email them to see what they will reply, after one day and I received following:

Please note, once you meet the SPG Platinum qualification for 2019, 25 stays at SPG Legacy properties in 2018, you will not be receiving a Platinum re qualification email. Instead in early 2019 you will see your expiration date will change to 2020.

My records indicate you currently have 25 stays at SPG Legacy properties. Congratulations.
Seems at least I have strong evidence to argue with Marriott next year..
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tonyc1234
Just finished my 25th stay in SPG legacy properties. Already knowing they have tons of IT issues going on, and I have 2 stay under this year's Double Stay and Points program. Email them to see what they will reply, after one day and I received following:

Seems at least I have strong evidence to argue with Marriott next year..
You've got a lot more than many have been reporting. But yes, all legacy status changes are expected to appear sometime in January when they sweep the accounts. Does not appear to be any coding done in the current system to address legacy rules, and sorta makes since for the short time they would be in effect.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:52 pm

You've got a lot more than many have been reporting. But yes, all legacy status changes are expected to appear sometime in January when they sweep the accounts. Does not appear to be any coding done in the current system to address legacy rules, and sorta makes since for the short time they would be in effect.
Somehow feel sorry to those just earned Plat through SPG this year...Usually the membership will upgrade once they reach 25th stay, now they need to wait next year's batch upgrade.

Finger crossed now..
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tonyc1234
Somehow feel sorry to those just earned Plat through SPG this year...Usually the membership will upgrade once they reach 25th stay, now they need to wait next year's batch upgrade.

Finger crossed now..
Yes, I expect there will be a "hole" in the earning numbers until MPG gets around to doing the sweep. Now to show all hopeful thinking isn't lost, wouldn't it be nice if during the sweep they also went back and issued retro credit for those points that would have been earned had they been able to process the bump in status in a timely fashion!

Excuse me, I see some guys in white coats headed this way, gotta go!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I've completed 23 stays prior to the Aug. 2018 merger and have since completed 2 further stays at a legacy SPG property. I've emailed 2 times and made calls to SPG/MR CSR and I was given a case number. I showed them the screenshot of my 23 stays prior to the merger (and I also have an e-statement from SPG) and then from my account I have 2 further legacy SPG stays. No replies, nada, zilch - either via phone or e-mail for a month now! This is abysmal!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nov11
I've completed 23 stays prior to the Aug. 2018 merger and have since completed 2 further stays at a legacy SPG property. I've emailed 2 times and made calls to SPG/MR CSR and I was given a case number. I showed them the screenshot of my 23 stays prior to the merger (and I also have an e-statement from SPG) and then from my account I have 2 further legacy SPG stays. No replies, nada, zilch - either via phone or e-mail for a month now! This is abysmal!
All legacy qualifications appear to have been put off until after the promised sweep in January. Hold onto all your documentation incase they fail to deliver then. Although frustrating, I can see where they have decided to not add the programing for legacy rules into the current system. There were many missteps with the merger and I'm sure they are paying the price now with all the complaints.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
All legacy qualifications appear to have been put off until after the promised sweep in January. Hold onto all your documentation incase they fail to deliver then. Although frustrating, I can see where they have decided to not add the programing for legacy rules into the current system. There were many missteps with the merger and I'm sure they are paying the price now with all the complaints.
I may be the exception that proves the rule. I was promoted to Plat Ambassador a fortnight ago under legacy SPG rules, i.e. 100 qualifying nights without coming near the USD 20k spend.

Of course, my Ambassador hasn't yet reached out to make contact, so...
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
There were many missteps with the merger and I'm sure they are paying the price now with all the complaints.
Thank you! But I feel like we are paying the price instead of them - long hold time, unresponsive customer service, SNA that goes missing, undue stress
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nov11
Thank you! But I feel like we are paying the price instead of them - long hold time, unresponsive customer service, SNA that goes missing, undue stress
Yes, no one is winning with this event. We are seeing reduced service levels and they are losing bookings with members going elsewhere. Just keep in mind FT is a very small part of the total population and we may be more likely to muscle through these issues and others may not even be aware they exist! It's a same there isn't a metric that captures the true lost revenue but only the net change. If they knew what it was really costing them I'd expect a lot more effort would be mustered.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Having read all the recent posts from the last month, I'm still none the wiser as to whether the double stays under the Select promo will actually count.

I have 3 SPG legacy stays remaining for this year and the last one (in December) is basically a mattress run to try and get the Platinum status renewed - it will count as the 25th stay if my SPG 2x stay credits are recognised but only the 19th if they aren't.

So it seems I will simply have to wait until this final stay and then get on to CS and push for recognition and hope that I'll finally get it during the sweep. Not exactly encouraging, but it seems like all I can do for now is cross my fingers.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Having read all the recent posts from the last month, I'm still none the wiser as to whether the double stays under the Select promo will actually count.

I have 3 SPG legacy stays remaining for this year and the last one (in December) is basically a mattress run to try and get the Platinum status renewed - it will count as the 25th stay if my SPG 2x stay credits are recognised but only the 19th if they aren't.

So it seems I will simply have to wait until this final stay and then get on to CS and push for recognition and hope that I'll finally get it during the sweep. Not exactly encouraging, but it seems like all I can do for now is cross my fingers.
They should, and hopefully will. I had 7 bonus stays and 28 bonus nights credited pre-integration thanks to my Select promotion. Thankfully didn't lose them during the integration, and just qualified for Ambassador on the strength of those bonus nights under legacy SPG rules (i.e. I didn't hit the 20k min spend required under the new regime).

My Ambassador still hasn't reached out to me, but that's a story for the ...... Ambassador experiences thread

Fingers crossed for you!
yurtripper likes this.

Last edited by HollyGlen; Nov 15, 2018 at 8:28 am Reason: Late night

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.