Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
They are sending you to the old SPG site to display old SPG reservations (in the SPG format, not the Marriott format), so couldn't they send you to the old SPG site to display legacy SPG status? (Right now, if you are taken to the SPG site for existing reservations, if you try to use any link for status, it takes you right back to the Marriott site for SPG with all its problems.)
There are lots of ways this could have been done differently. None of us are in charge of what they are doing (are they even in charge?). Expect all the data, current and historical, to be moved over at some point. Using APIs to use existing code is wise, but obviously they haven't done that for everything.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Thanks, everyone. This clears this up quite a bit.

My checkin for an upcoming Marriott stay has me at Platinum, which is unexpected, to say the least.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
[QUOTE=sfsummersublet]This is very helpful.

I am in a very similar boat as Joshua - need 5 more stays to reach 25 stays this year and re-qualify as what used to be SPG Platinum. I am currently SPG Platinum (or I guess Platinum Elite under the new combined program).

Am I correct that the consensus is:
1. Qualifying for Platinum under the old SPG program with 25 stays by 12/31/18 will qualify us for Platinum Elite under the new combined program?
2. We need to track our own stays so that if there is an issue in 2019 and we are not considered Platinum Elite, we can contest it?

I am dreading having to stay 50 nights next year to reach Platinum again. 25 stays was much more feasible.

Thank you for the comments.

I'm not really sure 50 nights is even worth it - if it earned Platinum Premier, it might be. One of my challenges is that Hilton Gold and SPG/Marriott Gold currently require zero nights' stays for United 1K Premiers, Amex Plat cardholders, etc. which means it's a lot of stays until one notices any more benefits at all.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by Daniel Chow
Before the merger I had 23 stays. After this week I will cross 25 stays. Do I get my platinum only next year or my status will automatically be plat under the new marriot rewards?
That's the question of the day. An explanation cannot be found anywhere on the Marriott. site. Anyone have any experience on this?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think anyone knows, but my guess would be that you'll get your status in January. In the meantime, I would NOT merge accounts. In fact, try to document the 23 stays that have already credited to SPG.

Yep... another reason not to merge accounts til everything appears as it should on the SPG/Marriott acct

Originally Posted by cmx
I assume the 2 stays from the legacy AmEx SPG card play as well for 2018.
They should. Mine did finally this week. (but still waiting on status to catch up)

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm not sure your spreadsheet would help anyone else...
Hey, ya never know.... it might.

Originally Posted by swiss_global
Unfortunately, this seems to be yet another bug in the merger ... I had qualified as SPG Plat based on 25 stays late July. (In fact at 26 stays/nights now). Fortunately, I made screenshots etc to document this event.
Now, after the merger, it still shows my status as Plat. BUT: It shows that I need another 24 nights to requalify for 2019 ... this is clearly not what I expected!

Did you merge accounts? Or, does this show up on your SPG/New Marriott number and Legacy Marriott number show you the 24 nights?
My SPG/Marriott shows 15 nights to platinum, and Marriott shows 25 nights to gold.(no nights booked via Marriott side this year. Oddly enough, I had a 1 night stay this week at a Residence Inn...which I booked thru the SPG/Marriott site. My nights YTD went up, but the activity does not show. Yes, I know that this will not count is SPG Stays for status. Am past 25 SPG Stays...Still waiting for Status to catch up prior to merging accounts. Will be keeping the new SPG Marriott number.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I would expect this given the new program doesn't have the stay component. I'm not surprised they did not put any effort into displaying legacy rules since it's only for a few months. Your 25 stays should keep you good till 2020. Keep notes and screenshots so you can cut down on the research they will have to do. I'm hoping their backend is more inclusive than the website/app.
But... when does that kick in... now, or Jan 1, 2019?

Last edited by xzh445; Sep 6, 2018 at 2:41 pm
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by xzh445
But... when does that kick in... now, or Jan 1, 2019?

Heaven only knows what MPG plans on implementing. Personally, I would push for the annual legacy status to kick in when earned, but any conversion due to MPG status (i.e. LT Plat > LTPP) may have to wait. Especially situations where perks or point earning would be elevated.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I also re-qualified for Platinum by having 25 stays at legacy SPG hotels before the 18 August merger. However, like others have mentioned, my SPG/Marriott account still shows that I need X nights to requalify. I have emailed Marriott asking them to confirm that I will be Platinum Elite until 2020. I do have a screenshot of my SPG account with the 25 stays and text saying that I had requalified before the merger.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If you qualified before 8/18, your SPG account should have been updated by cutover time and new status should have carried over. Did you qualify close to 8/18, where all the updates may not have been completed (it takes a few days), before he cuover process started?

Whatever the case, the web site statistics only know the new program rules, so it's not surprising at all that it shows you need nights to get there if it didn't pick the status up at cutover.

Qualifying via the legacy rules is a behind the scenes, exception based, etc, process that has been committed to. But expect it to only happen via manual, one-time batch processes run at the end of the year. And expect issues with it.

Be sure to hold on to documentation.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:17 am

I requalified for Platinum by late July so in plenty of time before the 18 August cut-over date.

Agree that the system is probably set to work on the new rules and that this would be a manual one-off task later in th year.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: MYOB
Heaven only knows what MPG plans on implementing. Personally, I would push for the annual legacy status to kick in when earned, but any conversion due to MPG status (i.e. LT Plat > LTPP) may have to wait. Especially situations where perks or point earning would be elevated.
Yep. Yet ANOTHER reason not to merge accounts until at least one's PRIMARY account is correct. I have not called or emailed yet, but now that I have >25 SPG stays for the year, I will write and see if I can get Platinum assigned to my new SPG/Marriott account. I have zero points in the legacy Marriott acct, having transferred them last year. I have 105 life time nights in legacy Marriott, but am nowhere close to lifetime Plat. Won't leave them on the table, but is not a pressing item to merge accounts for. Any bookings that I do will be from the SPG/Marriott account. In fact, did a Residence Inn stay last week that already posted. If I can get the SPG/Marriott account to register Plat now, I'll be happy. Well… that, and get the smattering of bonus points that are still missing. If it weren't for the lifetime nights, I would not merge them at all. I wonder if there will be a point that they tell us "merge or lose"

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I also re-qualified for Platinum by having 25 stays at legacy SPG hotels before the 18 August merger. However, like others have mentioned, my SPG/Marriott account still shows that I need X nights to requalify. I have emailed Marriott asking them to confirm that I will be Platinum Elite until 2020. I do have a screenshot of my SPG account with the 25 stays and text saying that I had requalified before the merger.
Can you post here if/when you have any luck on that?. Providing status this year? (vs Jan 2019) How long it took. What hoops you have to jump through? Good luck!!!

Last edited by xzh445; Sep 7, 2018 at 11:43 am
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
What about those of us who had received double stay credits as part of a targeted SPG Select Promo earlier in the year?

Now that all the stay totals have been expunged from view, how do we get them to recognise these extra stay credits? They were previously reflected in the old SPG dashboard but I was too dumb to remember to take a screenshot before August 18.

The extra nights I got as a result of the Select promo correctly show up in my total, but when I ask the CS reps to tell my stays total in SPG they manually count each stay... before giving me the unadjusted total that doesn't include the extra stay credits I had received before the integration.

Anyone else here who has this issue?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by xzh445
Yep. Yet ANOTHER reason not to merge accounts until at least one's PRIMARY account is correct. I have not called or emailed yet, but now that I have >25 SPG stays for the year, I will write and see if I can get Platinum assigned to my new SPG/Marriott account. I have zero points in the legacy Marriott acct, having transferred them last year. I have 105 life time nights in legacy Marriott, but am nowhere close to lifetime Plat. Won't leave them on the table, but is not a pressing item to merge accounts for. Any bookings that I do will be from the SPG/Marriott account. In fact, did a Residence Inn stay last week that already posted. If I can get the SPG/Marriott account to register Plat now, I'll be happy. Well that, and get the smattering of bonus points that are still missing. If it weren't for the lifetime nights, I would not merge them at all. I wonder if there will be a point that they tell us "merge or lose"

Can you post here if/when you have any luck on that?. Providing status this year? (vs Jan 2019) How long it took. What hoops you have to jump through? Good luck!!!
Will do.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:14 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Well, after decades of dealing with IHG's poor IT, now I get to deal with MR's poor IT. Decided that even though 25 SPG stays were within reach, 50 total nts between SPG and MR would be the safest and actually very reasonable given where I need to stay the rest of this year. Especially given the difficulty that MR's poor IT is putting on booking SPG properties now. Some August stays just posted, so at least that may be behind me now. Instead of the book of Mormon, MR should place the Book of Buddha in the rooms as they definitely require learning patience and compassion to deal with the phone calls required to correct their IT issues.
remymartin likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:00 am

The questions still remain.
  • How do we know that formerly credited stays will count, now that there is no longer any simple way of tracking them? (apart from manually totting up each stay during the year, but this doesn't solve the problem below)
  • What about those who got 2x stays from the SPG Select promo before the switchover? Do they still count? How can we be sure if there is no indicator which includes these extra stay credits?
At the moment, for the first issue you might say that you can just trust MR/SPG to keep track internally, and you will receive a notification (hopefully) when you pass the 25 stay barrier.
But what about the second issue? I currently don't see anyone even acknowledging this problem, let alone addressing it.

For me, the recognition of those stays is crucial as I won't be able to qualify by nights alone, now that I've had to switch my vacation plans from Q4 2018 to Q1 2019.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yurtripper
The questions still remain.
  • How do we know that formerly credited stays will count, now that there is no longer any simple way of tracking them? (apart from manually totting up each stay during the year, but this doesn't solve the problem below)
  • What about those who got 2x stays from the SPG Select promo before the switchover? Do they still count? How can we be sure if there is no indicator which includes these extra stay credits?
At the moment, for the first issue you might say that you can just trust MR/SPG to keep track internally, and you will receive a notification (hopefully) when you pass the 25 stay barrier.
But what about the second issue? I currently don't see anyone even acknowledging this problem, let alone addressing it.

For me, the recognition of those stays is crucial as I won't be able to qualify by nights alone, now that I've had to switch my vacation plans from Q4 2018 to Q1 2019.
I realize it may be too late here, but never trust someone else to track critical data. Just like on reservations, they use an index code to reference rate details. If they go in and modify what benefits M13 is to receive a future look at your reservation online will reflect those changes. If you don't keep a copy of your confirmation, you might not even know what the original terms were and there's a good chance would not get the original benefits. But if you show up with your confirmation in hand, then you should get them.

Personally, I created a spreadsheet years ago to track my stays that allowed me to enter future stays (not yet booked) to see how I will end the year. I made a point of comparing my totals with their online account to make sure everything was up to date. I know, a lot of work, but I did/do value my loyalty accounts and wanted to make sure they were kept current.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:27 am

I realize it may be too late here, but never trust someone else to track critical data. (snipped)
That's exactly what worries me. Now I have no way of being sure what my status is regarding these former stay credits, which makes it hard for me to plan remaining stays for the year. If I knew these stay credits would be properly recognised (as they were before Aug 18) then I could ensure that I had a few more stays before year end; if they don't get added back though, then it will all have been in vain.

It's the not knowing that's my biggest problem right now. If they turned around tomorrow and said that I could 100% forget any hope of having those stay credits reappear, I'd just cut my losses with MR/SPG and move all future stays to Hilton (where I'd have no problem maintaining Diamond as my main program).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.