Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
Managed to snag this card in August during the three day window. I will be staying at a Marriott resort over the NYE holiday 12/29 - 1/3. My question is about the $300 travel credit. Since I received the card in August I am slightly confused about the credit, especially since my trip is planned for the end of the year...do I have to redeem the $300 credit by 12/31/18 and then it will reset again on 1/1/19?
The wording on the card is card year, not calendar year, so you have until next August to use the credit, unless you upgraded the card, then it links to that cards' anniversary.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
When did you make the charge? Maybe AMEX made some changes recently.

Mine was a few days ago (e-card as well), and it posted as MARRIOTT GIFT CARDS as opposed to just "Marriott." Credit has not posted (at least not yet), but purchase codes as "Category: Travel - Lodging."
Update: credit posted in 4-5 days, but displays as if it had posted in 2 days.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Online, I'm seeing the 15K bonus to upgrade my current card. I have a couple of questions that maybe someone can help with:
  1. My anniversary month is January. So that leaves about 5 months left. So I'm guessing I would only have to pay around half the $450 annual fee, correct?
  2. And as soon as I upgrade, I will be able to use the $300 credit for charges at Marriott hotels? So I would essentially be paying about $225 to get a $300 credit (not counting if I get back anything from my legacy card annual fee.)
  3. Come January, I will have to pay the full annual fee of $450, but I would get another $300 credit, a 50K cert, correct? Note I'm LTPP, so I don't really care about the night credits or the Gold/Plat elite status possible upgrades.
If I'm correct, then my options are to either upgrade which nets me $75 and 15K points. Or apply for a new card with -$150 out of pocket ($450 - $300) but I get 100K points (that is the offer I see for applying for as a new card.)
Will the $300 credit apply before or after paying the prorated annual fee? I upgraded to the new card, but the prorated annual fee hasn't got the account yet. It initially said annual fee will hit in approx 45 days from the upgraded date. I am a bit confused on this...
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: AA 1MM GO, SW A-List
Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
Update: credit posted in 4-5 days, but displays as if it had posted in 2 days.
Thanks!

Do you know if this also can count toward the AmEx Offer Deal of spend $300 get $60 statement credit? I know people have reported success if you physically buy GCs at the front-desk but was hoping on-line would be more convenient .
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Not sure if this is answered before. I need to get $5k in spend to get 100K points. I assume the $450 fee doesn't count towards the $5k, but does the $300 credit reduce my spend and thus I need $5.3K in spend since I have received the $300 credit.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:57 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nit407
Will the $300 credit apply before or after paying the prorated annual fee? I upgraded to the new card, but the prorated annual fee hasn't got the account yet. It initially said annual fee will hit in approx 45 days from the upgraded date. I am a bit confused on this...
I was told the prorated annual fee would hit later this month (October). I had a Marriott stay a couple of weeks ago and I have already been reimbursed for that spend.

So it looks like you can get the credit before you pay the annual fee.
nit407 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Werty7777
I spent 5053 and got the 100k. I also got the 300 credit plus the 60 off 300. So net spend of 4693. Annual fee just posted after I got the 100k.
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
Not sure if this is answered before. I need to get $5k in spend to get 100K points. I assume the $450 fee doesn't count towards the $5k, but does the $300 credit reduce my spend and thus I need $5.3K in spend since I have received the $300 credit.
The credit doesn't matter. 5K spend is all you need.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by Mileage Fanatic
Thanks!

Do you know if this also can count toward the AmEx Offer Deal of spend $300 get $60 statement credit? I know people have reported success if you physically buy GCs at the front-desk but was hoping on-line would be more convenient .
Electronic gift cards do not trigger the $60 amex offer.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:10 am

So I had the 100k/$5k spend upgrade offer as of several weeks ago. Well I had planned it out and I was going to apply for it today, but logged into my Amex and cannot find the upgrade offer anymore! Has anyone else noticed their offers got pulled? The language on the SPG Luxury card homepage when I'm logged in states "new card" instead of "request an upgrade" I got as far as the screen to put in name, income, etc. I did notice I was "pre-approved" whatever that means. Did I just not go far enough in the application process, would it have noticed I have an SPG card and explained the pro-rated annual fee thing(approx 45 days after your card is opened)?

If I did apply for a new card(still seeing the 100k offer), what happens to my current SPG card? They let you carry both?

Sadly I don't have any screencaps of the offer, I know it didn't expire till 10/31. I'll try calling or chatting with Amex tomorrow(today a holiday) but based on what I've read about their customer service lately, I'm not overly optimistic.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:33 am

Hi. Does anyone know whether I will "disqualify" myself from getting the Amex SPG Luxury Card bonus in the future if I apply for the The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase now? I want to wait for a few months before getting the Luxury Card but am worried that the Marriott card may make me ineligible for the Amex bonus (due to their once-per-lifetime rules).

Thanks.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
Hi. Does anyone know whether I will "disqualify" myself from getting the Amex SPG Luxury Card bonus in the future if I apply for the The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase now? I want to wait for a few months before getting the Luxury Card but am worried that the Marriott card may make me ineligible for the Amex bonus (due to their once-per-lifetime rules).

Thanks.
Yes, you will be excluded if any of the following are true:

​​​​​

Bonus Restrictions Tightening on SPG and Marriott Cards Effective Sunday

Beginning on Aug. 26 (Sunday), terms will be added to the SPG Luxury Card that state…

“You are ineligible for the welcome offer if any of the following are true:

Currently have or have had any of the following Cards in the last 30 days
  • The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card from JP Morgan

OR have acquired any of the following Cards from Chase in the last 90 days
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card from Chase
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Business Credit Card from Chase

OR have received a welcome or upgrade offer for any of the following Cards from Chase in the last 24 months
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Business Credit Card from Chase”1
Source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/spg-luxury-card-why-apply-now/
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000

Thanks.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-bo...-credit-cards/

The short answer is yes...

(Someone beat me to it)
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Yes, you will be excluded if any of the following are true:

​​​​​

Bonus Restrictions Tightening on SPG and Marriott Cards Effective Sunday

Beginning on Aug. 26 (Sunday), terms will be added to the SPG Luxury Card that state…

“You are ineligible for the welcome offer if any of the following are true:

Currently have or have had any of the following Cards in the last 30 days
  • The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card from JP Morgan

OR have acquired any of the following Cards from Chase in the last 90 days
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Business Credit Card from Chase

OR have received a welcome or upgrade offer for any of the following Cards from Chase in the last 24 months
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Business Credit Card from Chase”1
Source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/spg-lu...why-apply-now/

Thanks. I was already aware of the 90 day rule. Sounds like it is also a 24 month rule. Is it a lifetime rule though?

Lastly, does this go both ways? If I get the Luxury Card can I not get the Marriott bonus afterward?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Just received an email offer for this car but for 125,000 points after $5000 spend. Is this a good deal?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ak3883
So I had the 100k/$5k spend upgrade offer as of several weeks ago. Well I had planned it out and I was going to apply for it today, but logged into my Amex and cannot find the upgrade offer anymore! Has anyone else noticed their offers got pulled? The language on the SPG Luxury card homepage when I'm logged in states "new card" instead of "request an upgrade" I got as far as the screen to put in name, income, etc. I did notice I was "pre-approved" whatever that means. Did I just not go far enough in the application process, would it have noticed I have an SPG card and explained the pro-rated annual fee thing(approx 45 days after your card is opened)?

If I did apply for a new card(still seeing the 100k offer), what happens to my current SPG card? They let you carry both?

Sadly I don't have any screencaps of the offer, I know it didn't expire till 10/31. I'll try calling or chatting with Amex tomorrow(today a holiday) but based on what I've read about their customer service lately, I'm not overly optimistic.
See if you have an email for it. Mine on the AMEX site got downgraded from 100k to 50k but I got an email for the 100k and was still able to apply through it since it had an RSVP code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.