Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:58 am

I have received 100K upgrade offer in August. Same offer was available when login through AMEX portal.Now online offer is changed to 50K upgrade points! My wife offer is still showing 100K.
Is anyone having same issue? Were you able to call in and get honored 100K offer?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
No upgrade offers for me, but I just got a mailer with a 125K offer to sign up for a new card.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dealhunter999
I have received 100K upgrade offer in August. Same offer was available when login through AMEX portal.Now online offer is changed to 50K upgrade points! My wife offer is still showing 100K.
Is anyone having same issue? Were you able to call in and get honored 100K offer?
Same thing happened to me. I have to wait until end of October to do the upgrade so I have no idea about calling in to get the original one honored. I did take a screenshot of it though.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
I'm considering the SPG luxury card. I'm a little unclear on some of the benefits and eligibility.

Not for me but for my wife. She's had the Ritz card for a year but didn't want to pay the annual fee, between her's and mine I can't use the $300 credits anymore, maybe just mine. $300 travel credit on the luxury card is easily used.

My question on the travel credit is whether it's based on a calendar year or a anniversary year. I know the free night is on anniversary but if calendar this would be an ideal time to get the card, get $600 back before having to pay the next annual fee.

My wife is not canceling the Ritz card but is downgrading to the Marriott Premier plus card or whatever it's called. I see value in keeping the account open(sort of open) and to me the free night benefit and the 15 nights has value exceeding the $95/year. So as far as eligibility for the SPG Luxury card will that still make her ineligible for the bonus on it? As I understood it she'd become eligible 30 days after canceling the Ritz card for the bonus on this new product. What I'm not sure about is does just converting to the other Marriott card continue to make her ineligible?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I've been looking at the SPG Business Amex card vs the Luxury Card. I don't really care about GE or Boingo as those are covered by my Amex Plat card.

Both have a 100,000 signup bonus and 6x spend on Marriott.

The Luxury Card costs $150 annually after the credit, gives a 50,000 point stay, and has 3x for restaurants
The Business Amex card costs $95 annually, gives a 35,000 stay, and has 4x for restaurants and gas.

Isn't the Business Amex a better deal?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
For anyone getting reduced offers, it might be good to check your email to see if your 100K upgrade offer is there.

I was able to apply for new SPG Luxury for 100K offer and then just today upgraded existing SPG Personal to SPG Luxury and confirmed with Amex agent that I was eligible for the 100K upgrade offer. I did have it in my email as proof, so there is no bait and switch possible.

Great deal getting 200K+ Marriott points with a new card and an upgrade!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:11 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by slappychasez
For anyone getting reduced offers, it might be good to check your email to see if your 100K upgrade offer is there.

I was able to apply for new SPG Luxury for 100K offer and then just today upgraded existing SPG Personal to SPG Luxury and confirmed with Amex agent that I was eligible for the 100K upgrade offer. I did have it in my email as proof, so there is no bait and switch possible.

Great deal getting 200K+ Marriott points with a new card and an upgrade!
So you have 2 Luxury cards and received 100000 for each? I thought this was contra Amex terms.

I was able to get a Luxury card during the 3 day window and my 100000 bonus points just posted. But I didn’t think I could also upgrade my old SPG card.

My first 20000 (of 40000) points also posted on my SPG Biz card (targeted spend offer- 20000 points per 10K spend)

The 140000 extra points has made the cards worth it for me this year. We will see about next year. I know my husband has put zero spend on his personal or business since 8/1 (and so far he has only been offered 15K to upgrade to Luxury)

I harbor a secret hope that Marriott will relent next year and restore 3X earning. But of course I’m an eternal optimist.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by damon88

So you have 2 Luxury cards and received 100000 for each? I thought this was contra Amex terms.

I was able to get a Luxury card during the 3 day window and my 100000 bonus points just posted. But I didn’t think I could also upgrade my old SPG card.

My first 20000 (of 40000) points also posted on my SPG Biz card (targeted spend offer- 20000 points per 10K spend)

The 140000 extra points has made the cards worth it for me this year. We will see about next year. I know my husband has put zero spend on his personal or business since 8/1 (and so far he has only been offered 15K to upgrade to Luxury)

I harbor a secret hope that Marriott will relent next year and restore 3X earning. But of course I’m an eternal optimist.
Agree for now. My anniversary date is in October, and I haven't paid any additional upgrade fee yet (Does my $95 fee paid last year offset this?) .

So far I have received:
-100,000 point bonus
-up to 30,000 additional points for spend through October 31st
-$300 credit for a Marriott gift card that I will use for my trip in November
-Platinum status for the rest of 2018 and 2019 based on previous spend in 2018 (no further spend required)

Not sure how much I will use the card after my bonus points in October, but will likely shell out $450 in October to keep platinum status, free night certificate and and another $300 credit.

Pretty happy so far...
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by pitflyer
I'm guessing here are the electronic gift cards that do match the $300 SPG Luxury Credit: https://gifts.marriott.com/consumer/main/home.py
Yep.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ckelly14
Awesome. Thanks. I received the upgrade info on my August 24th statement and still not showing up on my account. I guess I will be calling Marriott.
In same situation, upgraded to luxury card, statement said based on YTD spend eligible to be upgraded to platinum. That was 2+ weeks ago - still not upgraded. Did you call? Learn anything?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
I had the offer available online (100k) today, instead I cancelled my SPG card. Felt liberating, got the Hilton Aspire now. Also feels libertating
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
So I have a spend $300 at Marriott(s) get $60 back Amex Offer. Anyone know if I can buy a $300 GC, get $60 back, and then get the $300 statement credit? Or does Amex frown on double-dipping?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic
So I have a spend $300 at Marriott(s) get $60 back Amex Offer. Anyone know if I can buy a $300 GC, get $60 back, and then get the $300 statement credit? Or does Amex frown on double-dipping?
Not the same thing exactly but when I used both it was on an actual stay. The total bill was $359.56. I was credited $360 back between the offer and credit. So that little .44 credit would make me believe that you can use both even without spending more than the credit gives you.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:01 pm

I am so jealous right now. I wonder how they determine who gets what offers. I put around $50k/yr on this card and all I see is the pathetic 15,000 pt offer.

Has anyone successfully called and negotiated their offer up?

If I don't upgrade and just open a brand new card, would I still qualify for the 100k since I already have an SPG card or would I need to cancel the existing one first? (I intentionally waited when Chase's card came out, not feeling very rewarded now for that choice)
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Same thing happened to me. I have to wait until end of October to do the upgrade so I have no idea about calling in to get the original one honored. I did take a screenshot of it though.
I called AMEX and they confirmed I have till October 31st to redeem 100k offer.
nexusCFX likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.