Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Did anyone ever get a clear answer as to how upgrading affects the free night certs? Does your anniversary date change, and you have to wait a year, or do you still get the cert on your old anniversary?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I received a 100k upgrade offer and accepted it. Instant upgrade, no credit pull. Physical card hasn't arrived yet, but my charges are already showing as "SPG Luxury Card".

I've carried the SPG Amex for probably 10 years. I'm about a $50k/yr spender on it. Also recently upgraded to Aspire (the Hilton top-tier Amex). I don't really need two high-end Amexes, but if they're going to pay me to carry them around, why not?

Oddly enough, I still have not received *any* upgrade offers - nor even an active upgrade link with no bonus - for my two Marriott Chase Visas. The difference is that while I've had both of those cards for 10+ years, I only used one for Marriott stays and the other not at all. Long ago, I used both to churn teaser balance transfer offers, but once those began to include uncapped 3% fees, that game was over.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:35 pm

EGCs trigger the credit, which you can buy online. So that's a relief, and even if they don't for some reason, you can always resell for slight loss or use in the future.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:16 pm

DP:
100k upgrade offer accept. Reached 5k spending on 9/10. Last spending moved from pending to posted on 9/13. 100k reflected on YTD earned on Amex site today(9/14). Nothing on Marriott yet. Marriott/SPG accounts merged before upgrade. Points from last statement(9/10) posted on Marriott account on 9/13.

Update: 100k upgrade bonus showed up on Marriott on 9/16

Last edited by khlay; Sep 16, 2018 at 3:40 pm Reason: Update
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
If you are upgrading---product changing---an existing AMEX SPG account to a Luxury SPG account, you won't earn any 100K bonus, since it isn't a new account.

You may be able to upgrade, use the $300 SPG Credit, and downgrade again, BUT I am not sure how AMEX would look at that.
Originally Posted by hhoope01
While most are only getting the 15K offer to upgrade, per some earlier posts in this thread, I do believe some were saying they received 100K and 50K offers to upgrade. So while it doesn't look like a majority received those offers, some may have.
I upgraded from the SPG Amex to the SPG Amex Luxury card as I was offered a 100,000 point upgrade offer. Full disclosure: I place between $5,000 and $15,000 on my SPG Amex each month and that may have had something to do with the amount of upgrade points offered. There was also no hard credit pull. No physical card has arrived and I upgraded nine days ago. However, the account shows as SPG Amex Luxury as do my Apple Pay charges. I received a snail-mail letter from Amex outlining the proration of the annual fees beginning with the September 5 date but it appears my card anniversary date will continue to be November as it was with the original SPG Amex.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
While most are only getting the 15K offer to upgrade, per some earlier posts in this thread, I do believe some were saying they received 100K and 50K offers to upgrade. So while it doesn't look like a majority received those offers, some may have.
Good point. It's possible the poster I was responding to received a 100K upgrade offer. However, if they are upgrading to claim a bonus and then downgrading again, I would be a little nervous that Amex could potentially exclude you from new bonuses in the future and/or potentially take further action.

Upgrading to claim a bonus and then downgrading months later could appear to Amex like gaming the system.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: AA 1MM GO, SW A-List
Originally Posted by rooney
EGCs trigger the credit, which you can buy online. So that's a relief, and even if they don't for some reason, you can always resell for slight loss or use in the future.
Interesting, how and where did you do it? Thanks!

Wondering if it also count toward the current AmEx Offer too.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:39 am

I feel so dumb, I got the 100K upgrade offer back in Aug... I thought I clicked on the upgrade offer link.

But some how today when I log on to americanexpress.com... I found out my card was actually not upgraded.... I guess I just applied for a new card...
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I'm guessing here are the electronic gift cards that do match the $300 SPG Luxury Credit: https://gifts.marriott.com/consumer/main/home.py
However, I am pretty sure they do NOT match the current $60 back on $300 AMEX Offer. I've done a similar offer int he past (that was $30 back on $150) and went to a Marriott front desk and bought a gift card. Once I upgrade to SPG Luxury I plan to wait a couple days and do the same and hope to get $300 and $60 back from Amex.

I received the 50k upgrade offer. Others have shown that they have received and then their offer changed, mostly for worse. So I'm crossing my fingers that when I'm ready to upgrade (in the next few weeks) it will still be there. Hopefully don't end up saving a few pennies on my pro-rated annual fee and losing the offer altogether.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Both my wife and I have the luxury card (she got the 100000 point upgrade for a $5000 spend from the SPG personal card). We are staying at The St Regis Bahia Beach Resort in Puerto Rico next spring. What would happen if we both used our cards and charged $300 on each card at the resort. Would we receive $600 in credits (one for each card) or would the card that booked the room be the only card eligible to receive the credit? Of course the other idea would be to book two reservations but the chances for an upgraded room would decrease on her account as she is gold and I am platinum.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:44 pm

Questions:

1. Prior to upgrading to Luxury, I received and registered for 30K bonus points for 15K in spending by October 31st. I wonder if I will receive these bonus points? Already received my 100K bonus for 5K spend for the luxury upgrade. No need to keep spending on this card if I am only getting 2 points/$.
2. My anniversary date is October 24. Just confirming that I will receive a $300 spend credit that needs to be used before October 24th? Perhaps it is prorated? Great idea about the gift cards!
3. Will I get my free night this year after October 24th?
4. I received a note on my recent statement that says I am eligible for Platinum status due to spend. I don't see this reflected on my account. Any guesses as to how long this will take?

Thanks.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Moflav
Both my wife and I have the luxury card (she got the 100000 point upgrade for a $5000 spend from the SPG personal card). We are staying at The St Regis Bahia Beach Resort in Puerto Rico next spring. What would happen if we both used our cards and charged $300 on each card at the resort. Would we receive $600 in credits (one for each card) or would the card that booked the room be the only card eligible to receive the credit? Of course the other idea would be to book two reservations but the chances for an upgraded room would decrease on her account as she is gold and I am platinum.
Each could should receive the $300 credit.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by zymm
Did anyone ever get a clear answer as to how upgrading affects the free night certs? Does your anniversary date change, and you have to wait a year, or do you still get the cert on your old anniversary?
Anniversary date does not change. On the Upgrade page states that you get the kind of anniversary night depending on which card you hold at the time. So for anyone upgrading will get the 50k night instead of the 35k night
zymm likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by ckelly14
Questions:

1. Prior to upgrading to Luxury, I received and registered for 30K bonus points for 15K in spending by October 31st. I wonder if I will receive these bonus points? Already received my 100K bonus for 5K spend for the luxury upgrade. No need to keep spending on this card if I am only getting 2 points/$.
2. My anniversary date is October 24. Just confirming that I will receive a $300 spend credit that needs to be used before October 24th? Perhaps it is prorated? Great idea about the gift cards!
3. Will I get my free night this year after October 24th?
4. I received a note on my recent statement that says I am eligible for Platinum status due to spend. I don't see this reflected on my account. Any guesses as to how long this will take?

Thanks.
2. Yes.
3. yes.
4. It takes several days, but not more than a week. Especially with the system still working out issues of the merger and this being a SPG card and not Marriott card.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by td0815
2. Yes.
3. yes.
4. It takes several days, but not more than a week. Especially with the system still working out issues of the merger and this being a SPG card and not Marriott card.
Awesome. Thanks. I received the upgrade info on my August 24th statement and still not showing up on my account. I guess I will be calling Marriott.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.