Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Another pathetic cut from marriott : Make a Green Choice >> -67%

Another pathetic cut from marriott : Make a Green Choice >> -67%

Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by eracerblue

Someone probably has a more accurate number on this, but I suspect the average total cost of cleaning a room is about $20 - people for the room as well as laundry, supplies, electricity etc. The $5 value given per voucher is mediocre. I rarely see these tags hung on doors.

If they actually do want to create change they should make a splash on the top end. All $15-20 (or equiv points), and increase property participation (for brand image), and then slowly ratchet down over time. Likely back to $5 in like 5-10 years, but now with considerable more buy-in, and actual net effect.

If they actually give a rip, that is.
Not an ounce. This is merely a me-too effort similar to how they did C&P, doesn't matter if it doesn't match the rest of the industry, they are able to check the box that they have it. Doesn't change my habits.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:07 pm
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
This is crap. I say we all make a concerted effort to take the daily housekeeping in lieu of the MAGC points. I haven't taken housekeeping in 9 months, but I sure as hell will going forward with this devaluation. Maybe, just maybe, Marriott corporate will see the light and pull its head out of its arse when they realize their devaluation backfired and jack it back up to 1500 MR points a night if they start to feel the pinch economically.

In the words of the immortal Bluto (from Animal House, circa 1980 for you millenials), "What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now!"
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
I typically declined housekeeping on business trips for the 500 SPG points, but I don't think I will decline housekeeping anymore for just 500 MR points. When it was 500 SPG (1500 MR) it was the equivalent of (per TPG's valuation of 0.9 cents per MR point) of about $13.50. Now it is the equivalent of $4.50 which is not quite worth it. Maybe if enough people don't participate they will up the points .

I always thought that SPG was forward thinking to share the cost savings with the guest by offering a reasonable amount of points for declining housekeeping, but this is an unfortunate devaluation.

That being said, I think here is where they are coming from:
  • Assume old SPG program earns (in new points system 1:3): 12 points/$, 1500 platinum amenity, 1500 per might MAGC.
  • New program earns: 17.5 points/$, 1000 platinum amenity, 500 MAGC.
So, for example, on a 3 night stay, if the hotel rate is < ~$152 per night, the old system is more points, and if at least $152 the new system is better, as shown below (in each case, there are points for 3 nights, 1 amenity, 2 MAGC):
  • At $100 per night, old=8100, new=7250
  • At $152 per night, old=9972, new=9980
  • At $200 per night, old=11700, new=12500
I think Marriott's perspective here is that in most cases, it is a win for us because we get more base/elite points per dollar.
bosman and gcashin like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:24 am

I would bet these 500 Marriott points cost the hotels something like $2-3, and the cost of serving the rooms is significantly higher than that - particularly in North America, Europe and NE Asia. Were I the GM of a LSPG property, I'd be keeping a close eye on changes in housekeeping demand and provide feedback to Marriott corporate as required - as it'd likely be better for my bottom line to pay for the 1,500 points than hire and pay for additional staff. a
gcashin likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:20 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
And another poster mentioned not getting the option to change bed linens, in a Ritz Carlton of all places. I bet he did not get points for that!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-starwood-ritz-carlton-new-consolidated-program/1927298-remind-me-why-i-should-stay-ritz-carlton-now.html#post30131069

Perhaps it will strike a nerve if lots of guests start to request housekeeping when they skipped more often than not in the past. That is bound to create short term workload issues during the adjustment period.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Daily full bed linen change vs daily housekeeping is quite different.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really hope people don't unnecessarily cause all the waste in water and electricity (and released chemicals into our environment) just to make a point with Marriott....
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by username
I really hope people don't unnecessarily cause all the waste in water and electricity (and released chemicals into our environment) just to make a point with Marriott....
No, that is caused by Marriott's tacky new room service concept:
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by eracerblue
The $5 value given per voucher is mediocre. I rarely see these tags hung on doors.
I never had to hang the tag at the door since I would request the green choice when booking my hotel room. The hotel did know that I made that choice so every morning they would slip a card under my door. Choice was $5 voucher which I would not consider or 500 points. I always took the 500 points. I would check that option on the card and then give it to the front desk. Always got my points.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Yup. Wasting water and resources to try to prove a point is silly - Again, the people that notice and are complaining are a TINY subset of customers. So by needlessly requesting housekeeping, no one notices (definitely not Marriott), no one really benefits a ton and we waste a lot of water.

Once the merger issues die down, I will write to Marriott about this change expressing my disappointment. I would encourage others to do the same. This has a better chance of getting a point heard than trying to make a show of it that won't be noticed.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
No, that is caused by Marriott's tacky new room service concept
Good lord that is awful.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by Antarius
Good lord that is awful.
cheap crap.
Its exactly what I think of them.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC SE
Marriott is not exactly a leader in sustainability - their practices are pretty much Greenwashing and the only time they pretend to be environmentally responsible is when they can save some money (as they can with housekeeping). They use a ton of plastic and styrofoam packaging, utensils, and plates in lieu of dishware, especially in some of their lower end properties like Courtyard, Fairfield, etc. Their recycling program is non-existent at many facilities, and among the worst in the industry - tons of club lounges using thousands of small plastic water bottles a day with nary a recycling bin in sight.

If Marriott actually wants to brand themselves as being environmentally responsible, they need to step it up, including making the MAGC points more commensurate with the potential inconvenience, and actually demonstrate some leadership elsewhere, instead of going backwards by using more disposable utensils and dishes to avoid hiring dishwashers.

I wouldn't be so quick to put this on customers - Marriott needs to offer a reasonable incentive for people to decline housekeeping, and cutting back the compensation by ~67% is a step backwards in encouraging more sustainable behaviour.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:12 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
No, that is caused by Marriott's tacky new room service concept:Marriott Room Service
The image in Post #98 is hideous. Should have taken a page out of west coast Westins and use bio-degradable (like Plant Starch made) forks and knives and recycled paper containers.

On the main issue of Green Choice, if many people uses more room cleaning, that creates more employment in the long term. More frequent room cleaning means cleaner rooms in the long run. Those who are green at heart will decline room cleaning even when the incentives are lowered. Those aren't really green at heart can just keep using room cleaning and more people get hired. If Marriott is going green, they can also use more expensive environmentally friendly cleaning agents.

Last edited by yeunganson; Aug 26, 2018 at 7:20 pm
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:43 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by yeunganson
Those who are green at heart will decline room cleaning even when the incentives are lowered.
This.
C17PSGR and Antarius like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.