Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Another pathetic cut from marriott : Make a Green Choice >> -67%

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another pathetic cut from marriott : Make a Green Choice >> -67%

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by JBord
Wow...69 posts already about a benefit I would never think of collecting. I'm against any cuts in benefits, generally speaking. I never made the Green Choice because it should be quite obvious that it's not about environmental "green", but rather about more "green" in Marriott's pockets. I disagree with the dishonest game so many corporations play regarding environmentalism.

But posts comparing something Marriott does now, as a new merged company, to what SPG did, seems odd to me. It kind of reminds me of how former Continental customers still compare everything United does to a company that was bought and no longer exists. I suppose a mourning period is ok, but hopefully it doesn't go for years and years like the CO/UA thing. At some point, just realize customers from both sides have some wins and losses when the company merges, and it's not about how one company destroys another, but rather about what the new larger company decides to do -- and whether you still want to be a customer.
The only time there is going to be a dearth of data to support a business decision (like reducing the MAGC benefit) is at the outset of the decision when executives are operating on how they think customers will behave rather than with good numbers to go on. That is generally the only time for customers when a reversal is available. So, to suggest that SPG elite members be passive and not object to a policy that directly affects us is very likely misguided. The over-riding theme of legacy MR members telling us to suck-it-up is tiresome. Just because your loyalty program didn't provide a benefit doesn't mean that it was neither a good idea nor something for which we should argue. Further, it also baffles me that the legacy MR folks wouldn't be predisposed to want the better elements of SPG. Rather, the sentiment tends to fall on the side of 'we've already decided we can live without it.' On the point of the Continental merger, you are correct in that droning on about it for years is pointless and that ultimately, when things shake out, there will be ample opportunity to stay or switch. However, it has been shown a few times already that when the legacy top elites from SPG vehemently object to something, there is an audience for change, which will not exist in perpetuity.

So that I understand, you would't choose MAGC even if the points made sense of it simply because of your stance on a specious corporate premise of environmental impact? This 500 point policy was at its core a split of economics between the hotel and the guest. In using it, there were some inconveniences (and times where my DW definitely drew the line), but the points made it worth the economic split (and whatever small incremental environmental impact was felt) and worth the time to chase the points down if not granted. Now...meh.
Fizzer and frenchft like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Score8
This 500 point policy was at its core a split of economics between the hotel and the guest. In using it, there were some inconveniences (and times where my DW definitely drew the line), but the points made it worth the economic split (and whatever small incremental environmental impact was felt) and worth the time to chase the points down if not granted. Now...meh.
It is still a split of economics, just a movement of $$ (points) from the customer to the corporation. No different than devaluations with SPG Amex, higher award rates, or any other reduction in benefits to the customer.

I find it pretty laughable that anyone who took the points is now going to reject them out of spite. If you are on board with "being green" or simply like bonus points, then you will continue to do so. If not, then clearly it was just a transaction for you and you've decided that you value the cleaning more than the points. It's no different than Southwest charging more for a higher boarding position, or Hyatt offering points instead of an in-room snack.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Well if the majority of Marriott properties actually implement this (compared to the small % currently) and they actually post consistently, then quite honestly this would be an improvement for legacy MR members.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Talking

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Only upside to this is that now I no longer have to fight with my partner by arguing that it's a good idea to decline housekeeping every day on a multi-day stay.
Same here... she does not play or follow the point and status story and was an argument too when travelling together )))
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I
I find it pretty laughable that anyone who took the points is now going to reject them out of spite. If you are on board with "being green" or simply like bonus points, then you will continue to do so. If not, then clearly it was just a transaction for you and you've decided that you value the cleaning more than the points. It's no different than Southwest charging more for a higher boarding position, or Hyatt offering points instead of an in-room snack.
I certainly wouldn't reject them out of spite. For me it is a value/effort deal. Using MAGC meant not getting my bed made, having to remember to check for out of soap etc., maybe not getting water that I needed. Just annoying stuff given I was paying for a room in a 1st class hotel. But for 500 pts it was worth it, more or less. For a third of that not so much. I'd rather have the service if that's all they are providing. I'll still hang towels to avoid having them needlessly washed but I'' take the maid service. No idea what that costs the hotel but I hope for their economic sake it is less than the old 500 pts since for me they'll now do up the room.
UA-NYC and frenchft like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Well if the majority of Marriott properties actually implement this (compared to the small % currently) and they actually post consistently, then quite honestly this would be an improvement for legacy MR members.
Just checked in a Marriott in Europe... they have implemented... but without points )))
Was a card on the bed, "green choice" but with some marketing about being green but no compensation... and what they explain is not being green it's to help them to lower their housekeeping cost more or less with a nice marketing blabla.
So I will not be green and will ask for housekeeping tomorrow.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:52 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by frenchft
Just checked in a Marriott in Europe... they have implemented... but without points )))
Was a card on the bed, "green choice" but with some marketing about being green but no compensation... and what they explain is not being green it's to help them to lower their housekeeping cost more or less with a nice marketing blabla.
So I will not be green and will ask for housekeeping tomorrow.
Are you sure the card wasn't the one that many hotels in Europe have that if you don't place it on your bed then they won't change the bed linen.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GVA
Are you sure the card wasn't the one that many hotels in Europe have that if you don't place it on your bed then they won't change the bed linen.
nope, it was this one also.
The one I'm talking about what about how good for environment it was to skip housekeeping.
I was first thinking "ah! Marriott has already implemented the MAGC"... they did it... indeed, but the Marriott way !
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:13 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer
I feel bad for the franchised hotels in locations with high labor costs. The points are negligible compared to the labor costs of cleaning a room.

I recall that the Marriott Zurich almost begged me to accept MAGC. When I decline the offer at check in, the clerk asked if I was sure and recited statistics about the environmental impact.
Priceless. They know the points offered are peanuts compared to their costs so they want their guests to take the points. If they really wanted to be a green hotel, how about providing lower rates for all guests and advertise that as part of their across the board low rates and green commitment, guests will not get housekeeping? Let's see how that works. I might even go there is the savings are worth it.

If the hotel does not want to be green then don't blame guests' decisions. Not to say that Marriott ZRH did, but just saying...
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by drvannostren
The housekeepers already have a crappy enough job, I don't wanna add work to their plate. .
Somewhat off topic, but I don't think that participating in MAGC has any effect on the work of individual housekeepers. Presumably they work 8 (or however many) hours in a day, and clean X number of rooms in that time. If the housekeeping load were lighter, then in theory the hotel would reduce the number of housekeepers on duty. Although it's a lousy job, I am not sure that any of them want to be laid off from it because there are fewer rooms to clean each day on average.

I suppose it's possible that they get to sit in the break room if there aren't enough rooms to clean and/or get a higher salary (or maybe a lower salary of them are now redundant) and/or clean each room more thoroughly, but I wouldn't expect these outcomes.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Boraxo
It is still a split of economics, just a movement of $$ (points) from the customer to the corporation. No different than devaluations with SPG Amex, higher award rates, or any other reduction in benefits to the customer.

I stayed at a Westin on a 3 night stay this week where I had always picked the MAGC in the past, as the minor inconvenience of forgoing housekeeping was worth 500 Starpoints (1500 Marriott points per night). 500 Marriott points isn’t worth the minor inconvenience, so I got housekeeping this week and will decline MAGC unless they bump up the points to something closer to what SPG offered.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mecabq
Somewhat off topic, but I don't think that participating in MAGC has any effect on the work of individual housekeepers. Presumably they work 8 (or however many) hours in a day, and clean X number of rooms in that time. If the housekeeping load were lighter, then in theory the hotel would reduce the number of housekeepers on duty. Although it's a lousy job, I am not sure that any of them want to be laid off from it because there are fewer rooms to clean each day on average.

I suppose it's possible that they get to sit in the break room if there aren't enough rooms to clean and/or get a higher salary (or maybe a lower salary of them are now redundant) and/or clean each room more thoroughly, but I wouldn't expect these outcomes.
When this first started I asked and many of the staff are paid piecemeal as/for a contractor and bounce from property to property to get as many rooms done as they can. Since it's an industry mostly populated by those on the lower side of the economic scale, there is not much push back for fairer working conditions. I use housekeeping when I feel I need it. If I am in the room when they come knocking, I ask for what I need and tell them to check the room off as having been done. Keeps me green and keeps them employed.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
I'd say maybe 10% of my PMMR stays offered this, vs maybe 98% of my PMSPG stays.

And following that thought, if enough people stop participating in MAGC that housekeeping costs start to increase, then the program will need to increase the reward to restore the incentive.

While I get the frustration here, I agree with the sentiment that this is "on the margins" for most travelers, and I suspect the participation rate will drop only slightly, and not enough to change the incentive.
Someone probably has a more accurate number on this, but I suspect the average total cost of cleaning a room is about $20 - people for the room as well as laundry, supplies, electricity etc. The $5 value given per voucher is mediocre. I rarely see these tags hung on doors.

If they actually do want to create change they should make a splash on the top end. All $15-20 (or equiv points), and increase property participation (for brand image), and then slowly ratchet down over time. Likely back to $5 in like 5-10 years, but now with considerable more buy-in, and actual net effect.

If they actually give a rip, that is.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me, this is something that is extra - I don't like to have my room serviced anyway and this is good for the environment.

The 500 SPG points were way too generous. I probably have earned over 150 of them the last few years. I just view it as a "good while it lasted" thing.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Ive had 3 different hotel stays since the merger - seems like if you select MAGC during the checkin, it will apply for all of the stay, rather than the nights you select.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.